Quantcast

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i like the black chrome, but ive become sick of painted bikes and having cables/hoses rubbing the paint off. its a pet peeve of mine.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I have a Large RAW on order but that black chrome looks great but i am of the same mindset as IH8RICE.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
in house. theres plenty of videos showing the welders doing their magic.
i believe their hardtail is the only one not made in the US of A
i've seen some work, but was unsure if that was a demo, proto, or what. Also, there seem to be very few in house builders nowadays...even the "made in USA" stuff is outsourced to other welding plants.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I am thinking of polishing over the long east coast winter. Not sure how that would be on the east coast rox.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Really? that would surprise me that the HT Tazer wasn't made in house or in the USA
i believe Stik said it was because of its low volume...im sure he can elaborate moar better tho

i've seen some work, but was unsure if that was a demo, proto, or what. Also, there seem to be very few in house builders nowadays...even the "made in USA" stuff is outsourced to other welding plants.
he also said they are welded in front of his office

i could also be 100% wrong. this is the internet

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Yeah, they take pride doing stuff in house. I recently ordered a frame for a customer in a certain color. Sales rep told me to hold on he thought one just came out of paint in the back.
Had the frame in my hands a few days later.
Unlike other USA companies that tell you "i don't know when they are coming in" or not sure when they will be available. Well if they were made in house maybe you wouldn't have such vague answers.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well retardless, that's pretty cool. with the price of competitors frames being higher and of questionable origin, it's very cool that intense still does their stuff in house. makes me want one that much more.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
M9s are indeed made in house.

Intense doesn't paint in house but they do get painted right down the road. I am guessing you misunderstood the guy slightly as he may have said they just had some come back from paint. They come back from paint and then they check / decal them up in house

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Thats what I'm sayin!

It seems F'd up that these days people will pay 3k for a Taiwan frame, and Intense is doing this. If something is made in Taiwan it SHOULD be cheaper, end of story. If not, then whats the point of getting them done there?

3k for this frame is hugely respectable. In fact, seems Intense has lowered pricing on ALL their bikes. Thats pretty bloody rare these days, nevermind from a boutique US-made manufacturer.

PS: this is not a Taiwan quality vs US quality comment. Just pricing. :)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
No I understand that of course. There a thousands of examples of that in every industry.

I just think that as consumers people should stand up against that crap. People complain about the pricing of DH frames, but don't do anything to actually make a statement.

One thing I've always been curious about too. How come DH frames are so much more expensive then XC or AM frames? It is just volume? I can't imagine more work goes into a DH frame than xc or am, considering how much they tweak those frames for weight and such.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Ill second that curiosity, some of the best XC frames you can get are still a fair bit less than somewhat mediocre Dh rigs!!!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Well I can guess that some of it is supply and demand. For every say 20 xc or am frames a company may only sell 1 DH frame. They make the money up by selling the xc am frames at a lower price and higher volume and raise the price on DH frames

Talking about the larger companies not smaller companies

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Not what I said at all, or even inferred that. I'm just asking why Taiwan frames are now the same price as US made ones, seeing as most people see Taiwan as a lower cost option.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ill second that curiosity, some of the best XC frames you can get are still a fair bit less than somewhat mediocre Dh rigs!!!
A full on race XC bike is usually as expensive or more expensive than a full on race Dh bike.

The thing is that most (not all obviously) DH bikes are sold as top of the line race bikes, while most xc bikes are sold as recreational bicycles, not the top of the line.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Go price a boutique 29'r steel hardtail. You'll pay a pretty fair dollar for all the "Hipster Soul" they weld into it...

mr intense

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
Most of the comments here are correct and yes we do take pride in our "In House Manufacturing" some of you have noticed that our prices are staying reasonable and in some cases going down in spite of being made in the USA.
Over the last year we have been switching to a "Lean " manufacturing process and we are starting to see the benefits through out the company including our design & QC processes as well as customer service. The M9 is one of the first projects completed under our new Lean process and it is an ongoing process of improvement. Currently we do all processes in house and the ones we don't ( Paint & ano) we use local vendors in our business park as this help stimulate the local economy and keeps transportation costs down. The Tazer HT was a hard pill to swallow as this is a very price competitive segment and I had personally made these for our racers for years but we could never get the price where it needed to be if we produced them in house and I didn't think people would be willing to pay $1200.00 for a DJ frame, in this case the Asian production makes sense for us and also for Carbon Fiber .
Well thats my soap box very exciting stuff indeed!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Go price a boutique 29'r steel hardtail. You'll pay a pretty fair dollar for all the "Hipster Soul" they weld into it...
boutique vs mainstream is almost the same argument as xc vs dh.

xc/mainstream have a much larger selection, and a FAR wider range of price points.

boutique/dh companies are growing, but the availability of an entry level build / budget price is almost unheard of.

edit: a boutique 29'r steel hardtail isn't exactly your run of the mill bike these days, still a niche. Granted, the 29'r realm is certainly growing.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Most of the comments here are correct and yes we do take pride in our "In House Manufacturing" some of you have noticed that our prices are staying reasonable and in some cases going down in spite of being made in the USA.
Over the last year we have been switching to a "Lean " manufacturing process and we are starting to see the benefits through out the company including our design & QC processes as well as customer service. The M9 is one of the first projects completed under our new Lean process and it is an ongoing process of improvement. Currently we do all processes in house and the ones we don't ( Paint & ano) we use local vendors in our business park as this help stimulate the local economy and keeps transportation costs down. The Tazer HT was a hard pill to swallow as this is a very price competitive segment and I had personally made these for our racers for years but we could never get the price where it needed to be if we produced them in house and I didn't think people would be willing to pay $1200.00 for a DJ frame, in this case the Asian production makes sense for us and also for Carbon Fiber .
Well thats my soap box very exciting stuff indeed!!
Yay for SixSigma Lean!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
real answer: a "lean manufacturing process" is one that has been evaluated and streamlined to maximize efficiency, minimize errors (aka bad products), to ultimately increase production throughput / decrease processing time per unit. All of this ultimately leads to reduced costs per unit product.

6sigma processes are generally implemented as well if they are not already in place. This is just the concept of process control which validates product design and manufacturing processes to ensure that that nearly all items off the line will be free of defects (99.99966% to be exact). It's a lot of time and money up front, but in the long run it saves much more of both.

edit: more in depth info for anyone who is curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Sigma

6 sig is a more defined method of statistical process control:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_process_control

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What is a "Lean" manufacturing process? Inquiring minds want to know.
It's essentially a pretty generic buzzword used these days for companies that focus on stripping as much extraneous costs out of the entire manufacturing process/work flow but still provide the same value to the end customer.

The concept/practice is much more prevalent in larger and inefficient companies.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's essentially a pretty generic buzzword used these days for companies that focus on stripping as much extraneous costs out of the entire manufacturing process/work flow but still provide the same value to the end customer.

The concept/practice is much more prevalent in larger and inefficient companies.

i don't know if I would consider company size and efficiency to be a direct correlation. Not saying they're inversely proportional either.

edit: I would also say that larger companies would do it because they have the resources to do so. Any time you don't have to spend time/money dealing with issues after production has started (complaints, recalls, etc) is time/money that can be spent developing and validating new products.

Last edited: