Quantcast

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
i think i know now why the bolts loosen... the bolts are fixed in the right drive side box link side via thread-locktite, if you now tighten the flat-head Allen screw on the left non drive side and the frame flex a little on each movement... than the bolt loosen !! without flat-head Allen screw the bolt is free in the left non side drive bearing... and can turn up and back...
if that do not fix the problem, than the problems are the bearings where flex in itself and begin to move the bolt in the right drive side box tread.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
got new bearings and link installed finally. pressing them in straight was a bit of a PITA but i figured something out in the end.
of course after i put everything together, i find out that the new box link's shock mount is a hair bigger then the offset flip chip causing a bunch of play.:think::think: just as i fix one problem, another arises.
my shock also must has puked up some oil from the last ride too. fvck me

its hard to tell how much grease you need in the cavities so i just put a ton of Red Devil grease in there

heres some pics if anyone was interested

i used a 5mm nut driver to knock the bearings out

edit: Intense is sending new off-set flip chips to see if that will solve the problem....crossing my fingers

Last edited:

F1234K

Chimp
Jun 29, 2009
Sydney
So... installing my new box link today, but I am also getting a new front triangle soon since my current one has a massive dent in it. Question is, how do you remove the pivot axle from this new link once it's in?

I can only see the bolt that expands the head, but if you undo that it doesn't turn the axle with it. It just loosens the head and finally comes out itself.

The axle is threaded into the box link itself, but I cannot see any way to undo it from the box link. Any ideas?

F1234K

Chimp
Jun 29, 2009
Sydney
for those who have/getting the new link, the torque spec is 60 in/lbs for the pivot axle and 125 in/lbs for the cone bolt
I must say I got a bit nervous with the cone bolt. 125 in/lbs takes a long time to reach on that cone bolt and I was starting to wonder if I was over tightening it, but it got snug and sweet.

The whole link looks a crap load better than the old design.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I must say I got a bit nervous with the cone bolt. 125 in/lbs takes a long time to reach on that cone bolt and I was starting to wonder if I was over tightening it, but it got snug and sweet.
yeah, 125 seems like a lot for that little thing and 60in/lbs doesnt seem like enough for the pivot axle

F1234K

Chimp
Jun 29, 2009
Sydney
First ride went really well. Didn't come loose which is just the way it should be.

Big difference though is changing the bearings. I found 3 of my frame bearings were pretty seized because the holes in the frame were a little too small. I had to use my dremmel to open them out a bit so the bearings went in smoothly (without force) and then they were spinning super smooth. I could feel the difference with the small stuff for sure :)

I've had to do this to every frame I have ever owned and changed bearings on. There is always at least 1 that was forced in with a pressing machine that should probably not have been.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
sigh
From Dirt about 29ers in DH racing
That’s a good one and we do have some experience with this as we have been experimenting with 29 DH for a couple of years now with the 2951, and we are currently making an M29. So you can guess that we believe in some of the benefits, and they become even more pronounced when things get really rocky, steep and loose….mud? Well that’s another story.

This whole scenario could actually be a reality as we are preparing an M29 for Florent Payent who rides for Suspension Center team we sponsor. Flo is a good candidate for 29, as he is a world class DH racer and happens to be around 6′ 2″. There are some equipment issues to work out, mainly in front suspension.
http://dirt.mpora.com/news/the-question-29ers-in-downhill-racing.html

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
I have about 8 rides on the new link. Super dope. Easy install.
Super easy shock removal by opening the lower link too. Probably will make it easier to disassemble and take my bike in a bag on the plane as well.

Nothing has come loose. Rear swing arm/triangle is just as unflexy as before, if not a bit better. Bike feel is awesome. Tracks great.
Home run Intense.

And did that guy from Sydney above really dremel out his bearing seats? really? Is it April?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
one of my close riding buds has an m9 right now...Last dh day of the season he came off the top of a wall at diablo a bit wack and crashed pretty bad, twisted the swingarm...

$900 for a crash replacement!? F*ck intense on that, seriously...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
one of my close riding buds has an m9 right now...Last dh day of the season he came off the top of a wall at diablo a bit wack and crashed pretty bad, twisted the swingarm...

$900 for a crash replacement!? F*ck intense on that, seriously...
If he would be riding an Evil he would get a replacement for free......in maybe 5 years. ;)
Seriously, have you tried to get spares for other more boutique bikes like e.g. Mondraker? At least Intense can provide spares for current models.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
If he would be riding an Evil he would get a replacement for free......in maybe 5 years. ;)
Seriously, have you tried to get spares for other more boutique bikes like e.g. Mondraker? At least Intense can provide spares for current models.
If you are spending that kind of bread on frame you should not consider yourself lucky to get the opportunity to purchase massively expensive crash replacements. It's insane, I didnt realize how bad intenses CS was until his issue.

The other guy I ride with is on a revolt no issue ;)

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's insane, I didnt realize how bad intenses CS was until his issue.
$900 isnt too crazy nor would i contribute that to bad CS, but having dealt with them on a dealer basis, i can say that they can be hit or miss. sometimes we get a complete kit, sometimes we have parts missing but yet still charged full dealer price for the kit :think:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
$900 isnt too crazy nor would i contribute that to bad CS, but having dealt with them on a dealer basis, i can say that they can be hit or miss. sometimes we get a complete kit, sometimes we have parts missing but yet still charged full dealer price for the kit :think:
Been there as well from a dealer perspective, with similar results...$900 is rediculous for a crash on that swingarm...cmon.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Been there as well from a dealer perspective, with similar results...$900 is rediculous for a crash on that swingarm...cmon.
You gotta pay if you want to play. Do people not do research on CS and spare part prices BEFORE they buy a bike? Sorry, I forgot, color coordination of frame and parts is more important. :rolleyes:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Do people not do research on CS and spare part prices BEFORE they buy a bike?
i cant say ive ever put any thought into prices for spare parts for any bike ive owned (except after my 2nd revolt :rolleyes:)
and the more i think about it, $900 is expensive for a swing arm crash replacement

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
i cant say ive ever put any thought into prices for spare parts for any bike ive owned (except after my 2nd revolt :rolleyes:)
OK, maybe I am weird. But I do that because most of the times I get spares shortly after I buy the frame. I have spare lower pivot bolts/links/bearings/shock bolts etc. for most of my bikes. Luckily I hardly need them...and if then it is of course always the part I don't have. :rant:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Why should crash replacement parts be discounted in the first place?
It doesn't cost any less to weld a replacement part than the original part.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Why should crash replacement parts be discounted in the first place?
It doesn't cost any less to weld a replacement part than the original part.

wen you payed 3700 taxed in for your bike frame ( like me ) ,and it breaks within the first year,and you have to pay close to 1000$ +the taxes ( call it 1000 )

Thats why it should be discounted.

And if you cannot put 2 and 2 together,well I can't say more for the eyes in the sky ;)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'm not talking about design problems (like the box link) or manufacturing/warranty problems, I'm talking about crash replacement.

When you break your frame/ski/bong etc why should the manufacturer be expected to give a low cost replacement? The price you paid is irrelevant.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I'm not talking about design problems (like the box link) or manufacturing/warranty problems, I'm talking about crash replacement.

When you break your frame/ski/bong etc why should the manufacturer be expected to give a low cost replacement? The price you paid is irrelevant.

Well I can't speak about the top part,or the eyes in the sky will slap me on the wrists.

Man all I know is I wish I was stebber,id be laughing.

Last edited: