Quantcast

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
One thing I've always been curious about too. How come DH frames are so much more expensive then XC or AM frames? It is just volume? I can't imagine more work goes into a DH frame than xc or am, considering how much they tweak those frames for weight and such.

Hahahah expensive man try looking at a $10K road frame or a pair of $3K wheels!
http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-CV1R5CA.html

AAHAHAH

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No I understand that of course. There a thousands of examples of that in every industry.

I just think that as consumers people should stand up against that crap. People complain about the pricing of DH frames, but don't do anything to actually make a statement.

One thing I've always been curious about too. How come DH frames are so much more expensive then XC or AM frames? It is just volume? I can't imagine more work goes into a DH frame than xc or am, considering how much they tweak those frames for weight and such.
I'd be willing to argue that its mostly volume, but I'm no expert on bike industry, just inferring from other experience.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Six Sigma is not the same as lean manufacturing. Six Sigma is about statistical process control while lean focuses on reducing lead times and cost through process improvement and flexible manufacturing. They do both incorporate the concept of continuous improvement and can be used together. The amount of documentation that is involved with Six Sigma is anti-lean in lots of ways.

To put it in layman's terms, lets say intense can produce 100 frames a week if they produce one model and 60 frames a week if they produce a mix of models. Traditional large batch manufacturing says you should produce the large batch to lower the cost per unit. However, in the real world this means you could lose sales because you can't deliver other models. It also means that you have a large amount of cash tied up in that inventory. If you are wrong on your projections you have to blow out the excess on chainlove at reduced prices. All of this leads to a lot of excess costs beyond the original cost per unit.

With lean manufacturing you focus on making your production more flexible so you can produce what you actually need. Lets say they reduce the time it takes to switch from one model to another. Through doing this they can produce 90 frames a week of various models. Yes, this is still less than the 100 per week they can make with a large batch but you have far fewer additional costs because they are making what they need when they need it.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
i don't know if I would consider company size and efficiency to be a direct correlation. Not saying they're inversely proportional either.
I think the inference is that larger companies can afford to front the capital allowing them to be less efficient, but still operate for more profit. However, fronting the money to lean out the process has far more benefits in the long run, as explained.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Six Sigma is not the same as lean manufacturing. Six Sigma is about statistical process control while lean focuses on reducing lead times and cost through process improvement and flexible manufacturing. They do both incorporate the concept of continuous improvement and can be used together. The amount of documentation that is involved with Six Sigma is anti-lean in lots of ways.

To put it in layman's terms, lets say intense can produce 100 frames a week if they produce one model and 60 frames a week if they produce a mix of models. Traditional large batch manufacturing says you should produce the large batch to lower the cost per unit. However, in the real world this means you could lose sales because you can't deliver other models. It also means that you have a large amount of cash tied up in that inventory. If you are wrong on your projections you have to blow out the excess on at reduced prices. All of this leads to a lot of excess costs beyond the original cost per unit.

With lean manufacturing you focus on making your production more flexible so you can produce what you actually need. Lets say they reduce the time it takes to switch from one model to another. Through doing this they can produce 90 frames a week of various models. Yes, this is still less than the 100 per week they can make with a large batch but you have far fewer additional costs because they are making what they need when they need it.
Not bad for a first post. Welcome.

Agreed that 6sig and lean manuf. are different, but they are often used in conjunction with one another.

In regards to the statement I bolded, I definitely agree, for the most part. It depends on what industry you work in to some extent. The industry I work for (medical device) is federally regulated, so for us, all that paperwork is absolutely necessary in order to be able to sell our product (and also pales in comparison to the amount of paperwork that has to be done in the even of a recall, not to mention the other headaches associated with that process).

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Stick, can you confirm the BB height, I see it's listed as 14.2"-14.5", how does the adjustment go 14.2" = 8.5" and 14.5 = 9.5" or what? Do the G3's have any effect on BB height or just wheel base, they kinda look like they'd change both?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
It's funny I was having the whole USA vs. Taiwan made frame argument with a buddy of mine. He works at a shop that pushes the big S. His thing was the Demo is only $2500 where the M9 is $3000 and the lower price will attract more people. Typical brain wash. Demo $2500 + $230 for Angleset, then sell the RC4 for say $400 and buy a CCDB for $800 or an M9 for $3000. Tell me the better value. Oh but wait the Demo has a proprietory shock mount so if they make one for the CCDB you have to buy that also.
Is there a valid point to this story? Yes.
Nice to see more value from a US made product.
Thats the worst argument ive ever seen. Why would you even need an angleset for a demo, how do you know that the demo wont peform just as well with the RC4, you are creating variables to try and justify being ripped off to **** in your own country.

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
I'm curious, I had an intense M1 (2003 or 4 model). It had the problem with the rear triangle mounting point being off by .25". You had to flex the suspension to make it bolt up. The 5th element shock also hit the frame under compression, and you couldn't change to any other shock mounting point as there was no clearance.
I'm not bashing Intense, but these were significant problems and caused me to rule out Intense frames for future bikes. Has the quality improved since then? I must admit I didn't even look at them when I was frame shopping and bought a Knolly.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I'm curious, I had an intense M1 (2003 or 4 model). It had the problem with the rear triangle mounting point being off by .25". You had to flex the suspension to make it bolt up. The 5th element shock also hit the frame under compression, and you couldn't change to any other shock mounting point as there was no clearance.
I'm not bashing Intense, but these were significant problems and caused me to rule out Intense frames for future bikes. Has the quality improved since then? I must admit I didn't even look at them when I was frame shopping and bought a Knolly.
That sucks.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Ok, this sounds like a total noob question, but is the M9 still a loud bike? My last M was the 1 and yes it was loud bouncing through the rocks. The M9 looks great and I hope to demo one soon but just wondering if the pinging has been reduced at all as the series progressed.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Christian...
fixed, and here is proper spec sheet

Alexchannel,
we have gone through significant manufacturing changes since those days...I have put a bunch of M9's together since being here (in addition to slopestyles, tracers, uzzis, etc...) and stoked how everything lines up nicely when I put together production bikes for racers, media bikes, etcc..
MDJ,
m1 was not the quietest bike...m9 is much quieter due to new construction but more to the fact of how smooth the bike is over the rough stuff.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
They are a lot better than they were back in 03.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
:rolleyes:don't you just love trolls:rolleyes:
actually, I think he's entirely correct. What makes the rc4 a bad shock? you've ridden the demo? its too low and slack for you? Thats literally the only reason I see wanting an angleset for that bike, but it honestly doesn't really need one. There is something to be said for a bicycle that fits well out of the box and needs no modding, and the rc4 is a pretty solid shock if you you set it up right.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
:rolleyes:don't you just love trolls:rolleyes:
As william said - what part of his answer is trolling? The fact that he doesnt agree with you? Demo is cheaper period. The extra stuff on the m9 is nice and probably costs what you estimated but its an add on. You cant get an m9 for 2500$. Its like you claimed merc s class had the same price as a toyota camry because of all the extra stuff you find inside it. A guy who has 2500$ wont be able to buy it off the shop shelf anyway.

Also isnt the whole local vs taiwan argument soo 2003? Intense had its share of dodgy frames while there have been some frames from taiwan that surpas in quality any bike you have seen. Please next time when you see a lapierre bike take some time to look at it and tell me it is done worse than an intense.
Hell tell me the new glory has lower build quality. Not to mention that we can use your example and with the 2010 glory price its 1600+ 500$ differance you see between the demo and m9 and you still get 900$.
Not that it matters because I dont want a glory, my last 2 bikes have been TW made and I dont see them being any worse than intense bikes (they sure do have better resale value and dent less).
No hate toward the intense. If Stick claims the m9 is build to last, not with the fro mumbo jumbo I belive him. I really want the whole 1 season race superlight sled fad to be over and Im pretty sure if intense will go that way, half of pb will notice ;)

]meh, i didnt like it one bit
Depends on the frame, as always. Considering the lev. curve on the revolt Im not suprised it didnt work as good as with a legend or a sunday ;)

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
How did a DH frame thread have references to Six Sigma :confused: I wrote my senior thesis on Six sigma and this thread is conjuring up all sorts of nightmares of long nights in the library.

This thread needs moar of Matti showing the durability of the FRO design :thumb:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
................. There is something to be said for a bicycle that fits well out of the box and needs no modding,................
Hence the reason we made the M9 to be perfect for most of the planet in the default/middle settings (progression adjustment in middle, G3 dropout in middle, travel adjust in middle, and 0° AngleSet).

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
No hate toward the intense. If Stick claims the m9 is build to last, not with the fro mumbo jumbo I belive him. I really want the whole 1 season race superlight sled fad to be over and Im pretty sure if intense will go that way, half of pb will notice ;)
I have never been a FRO preacher (ala spreading mumbo jumbo), to me, FRO is a moniker meant for our top of the line model. We could have made the M9-FRO lighter, but we made it to last. My wifes (Leigh Donovan 8th place) M9-FRO that Jeff Steber made for the worlds (Emmeline Ragot too, 3rd place) was truly FRO, lighter front shell, thinner-lighter rear stays, old lighter M6 EVO top link....He shaved a pound off her M9, but it was a one off, made for the WORLD championships only, stuff like that should not see production for the masses.

As I said before, I take comfort in knowing what the CRC boys raced on this year and knowing they had ZERO failures.

Now lets see some ride reports!

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have never been a FRO preacher (ala spreading mumbo jumbo), to me, FRO is a moniker meant for our top of the line model. We could have made the M9-FRO lighter, but we made it to last. My wifes M9-FRO that Jeff Steber made for the worlds (Emmelines too) was truly FRO, lighter front shell, thinner-lighter rear stays, old lighter M6 EVO top link....He shaved a pound off her M9, but it was a one off, made for the WORLD championships only, stuff like that should not see production for the masses.

As I said before, I take comfort in knowing what the CRC boys raced on this year and knowing they had ZERO failures.

Now lets see some ride reports!
Imho thats how it should be done. Fro super light for the top team and a bike that I dont have to worry about denting (pros dont have to but us regular joes have to sell the damn thing sooner or later). Its very good to hear what your saying. Ive seen the m9 in alpe d huez and they looked really nice though I think Im going to stay with my legend for a short while ;)

Im only curious about one thing - is the downtube flat and very thin or is it a bit more dent proof than what it is trendy to do now?

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I had a hard time deciding between the DHR a M9. I picked the M9 because of the higher BB and more travel.
Plus intense is easier to deal with to get a shop guy price then turner was.
Can't wait to get it. Now I have to sell my demo 8.