Quantcast

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
170 cranks, 9" setting with 400lb spring (185lbs). Have a set of 165 Saints on order to help with the rock high fiving.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yikes, wet lay up. Have fun with the mess!
meh, hasnt been bad so far. the cost difference b/w pre-preg and all it's associated supplies makes it worth it...for me at least
it turns out a few friends know a thing or two about wet layup work and gave me some things i would have overlooked. particularly about the moulds.

Last edited:

a-rod

Chimp
Sep 28, 2010
Lancaster, CA
meh, hasnt been bad so far. the cost difference b/w pre-preg and all it's associated supplies makes it worth it...for me at least
it turns out a few friends know a thing or two about wet layup work and gave me some things i would have overlooked. particularly about the moulds.
We had worked with pre-preg years ago hear at work and still have the machinery to do it. this fender idea has definitely crossed my mind, but it all comes down to $$$$ for tooling. the material itself is not that expensive. it's the machine time to make a tool. there are so many cool things that i have thought of that can be made off of that process and the parts wouldn't cost over $100 like that company Light Speed charges for their Moto Bike skid plates and accessories.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How are you going to compress and cure the layup?

Where did you get the CF too? i find these guys pretty reasonable..

http://sollercomposites.com/
originally i wasnt going to do a A and B mold as per some of the basic videos ive seen, but after talking to my friends they all advised against this. i need to make a B mold to compress the CF still. im going to be using some clamps to compress it all together.
im going to let it air cure and then throw it in the oven for a bit (as per Gridds's recommendation)

i got my DIY kit here for a reasonable price:
http://www.eastbaycomposites.com/

i did find some other good prices for the separate components here:
www.fiberglast.com

im obviously still learning all of this so its taking some time (which i dont mind.) i figured id tackle a easy job like a fender first to see how it goes. the flat sheet of carbon should be the easiest after i get some glass shelving to compress the carbon.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
originally i wasnt going to do a A and B mold as per some of the basic videos ive seen, but after talking to my friends they all advised against this. i need to make a B mold to compress the CF still. im going to be using some clamps to compress it all together.
im going to let it air cure and then throw it in the oven for a bit (as per Gridds's recommendation)

i got my DIY kit here for a reasonable price:
http://www.eastbaycomposites.com/

i did find some other good prices for the separate components here:
www.fiberglast.com

im obviously still learning all of this so its taking some time (which i dont mind.) i figured id tackle a easy job like a fender first to see how it goes. the flat sheet of carbon should be the easiest after i get some glass shelving to compress the carbon.
Sounds good!!

I would suggest making 1 or 2 out of fibreglass to start off with if possible, just to make sure everything turns out the way you planned before committing to carbon fibre.

I notice in the pic you bought brushes, you may find a roller, or better yet a squeegee quicker and less likely to disturb the weave, shouldn't matter too much though.

looking forward to seeing the results :thumb:

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Sounds good!!

I would suggest making 1 or 2 out of fibreglass to start off with if possible, just to make sure everything turns out the way you planned before committing to carbon fibre.

I notice in the pic you bought brushes, you may find a roller, or better yet a squeegee quicker and less likely to disturb the weave, shouldn't matter too much though.

looking forward to seeing the results :thumb:
it can with plenty of fiberglass weave that i actually was going to use first so i dont waste the CF. :thumb:
i was thinking the brushes might mess the weave up too but saw most people were lightly dabbing the brush onto the CF. i have some 1-2" wide rollers that i have for painting that ill try. thanks!

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Got the bike dialed,

bike rides millions times better in 9" mode,and probly the best idea I had was to put it back in that setting.

Running everything in the middle setting but with a .5 cup,bike is intense 4 real/

Last edited:

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
For those of you currently on the M9, how is the sizing working out? Trying to decide between the Medium and Large at 6' 160lbs. Also looking closely at the V10c. Coming off of a Revolt. Any thoughts or feedback? Who's ridden all three?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i love my M9 a lot more then my Revolt. i felt the Revolt blew through its travel way too easy compared to the M9. i also clip my pedals a lot less with the Intense too. cornering seems to be better , as the bike just wants to rail the berms but it can easily be slid through the turns too.
sizing seems to be pretty damn close b/w the two of them. im 6'2" and ride a large in both frames.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
i love my M9 a lot more then my Revolt. i felt the Revolt blew through its travel way too easy compared to the M9. i also clip my pedals a lot less with the Intense too. cornering seems to be better , as the bike just wants to rail the berms but it can easily be slid through the turns too.
sizing seems to be pretty damn close b/w the two of them. im 6'2" and ride a large in both frames.
I found the Revolt to have a light, lively, and poppy feel compared to some of the other DH rigs I've been on. How would you compare the M9 in terms of manueverability in general, feel, and agility at lower speeds. I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of it's confidence at speed.

I appreciate the feedback.

khoolhandz

Chimp
Jul 27, 2006
I LOVE SURREY
For those of you currently on the M9, how is the sizing working out? Trying to decide between the Medium and Large at 6' 160lbs. Also looking closely at the V10c. Coming off of a Revolt. Any thoughts or feedback? Who's ridden all three?
I'm 5'7", 140 lbs, ride a small M9. Fits perfect, actually feels more like a medium tbh. I tried a buddy's medium Kona Operator and the Kona felt small for whatever reason.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
I'm on the cusp of 5'10-5'11". Went large and it feels spot on.
Interesting. I'm at 5'11/6' and keep hearing that the M9 rides a bit roomier than earlier frames or other makes. I thought I would be a Medium. Now I'm rethinking. I'm pretty confident that I'd be in a Large in the V10c.

nyy147

Chimp
Sep 23, 2008
Interesting. I'm at 5'11/6' and keep hearing that the M9 rides a bit roomier than earlier frames or other makes. I thought I would be a Medium. Now I'm rethinking. I'm pretty confident that I'd be in a Large in the V10c.

I'm 6'4 and had a large m6 before my large m9. To me they feel really similar size wise which is much tighter than the large ih sunday i was on before that. At 5'11 I would say a large or med would suit you well so I would decide if you want a tighter cockpit or a more roomy one.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I found the Revolt to have a light, lively, and poppy feel compared to some of the other DH rigs I've been on. How would you compare the M9 in terms of manueverability in general, feel, and agility at lower speeds. I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of it's confidence at speed.

I appreciate the feedback.
the M9 is very lively but yet still very planted, especially in the super rocky rock gardens. at lower speeds and medium speeds i feel it turns a lot better then the Revolt and with a touch of the rear brake, it can be whipped around easily.
i didnt think too much of the Revolt blowing through its travel until i got back on my Foes DHS and then on my M9 and found that neither have that issue. on the real big hits is when that is obviously more noticeable. the Revolt had a sweet spot with the CCDB's HSC and i couldnt dial in too much of it or it would be super harsh on the bigger stuff..not enough compression and the bottom outs would be frequent.
the double barrel felt completely different on the Intense b/c of the leverage ratio difference and took a bit longer to dial in to get it to feel right.
ive been riding it for about 6 months and dont miss my Revolt one bit. its always a bit nerve racking getting on a bike that youve never ridden before and hoping it feels right, but the M9 felt very close in terms of the roomy cockpit that the Revolt had and that i loved.

one thing that makes me very happy is everytime i clean my bike, i know everything will line up right w/ zero issue.... unlike all 3 of my Revolts.

Last edited:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec

Im 5'10/5'11 riding a medium,and to me,its perfect.I was riding my friends small big hit 24' last year in trails while I had no bike,and I was coming off my old mk1 v10,the m9 is lower longer and slacker.

I rode it on some local trails,and theres a nice elevated erea with some tight trees.its glued on the ground,I let my buddy from the army who was in town this weekend ride it,and he was blown away with the plushness ( so am I ) and I was blown watching the bike work,

the bike is so fast,I cannot wait to get it at bromont.

Im loving the medium,the bike is seriously intense.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I know the he-man woman haters club won't care much, but pretty stoked our girls Fionn and Emmeline rocked their M9's to 2nd and 3rd at the world cup, and their little self funded program is ranked 3rd in the team rankings, ahead of specialized, scott, Giant, chainreaction, etc....
Must be the bike? Fionn has not had that good of a result in years.

Stock black chrome too!

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I know the he-man woman haters club won't care much, but pretty stoked our girls Fionn and Emmeline rocked their M9's to 2nd and 3rd at the world cup, and their little self funded program is ranked 3rd in the team rankings, ahead of specialized, scott, Giant, chainreaction, etc....
Must be the bike? Fionn has not had that good of a result in years.

Stock black chrome too!
Ive been a little surprised at the lack of coverage Fionn got for her efforts this weekend, she only came second to Tracey by under a second across a 4 min course. She will be one to watch out for this year for sure.