Quantcast

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Ive been a little surprised at the lack of coverage Fionn got for her efforts this weekend, she only came second to Tracey by under a second across a 4 min course. She will be one to watch out for this year for sure.
MTB media does not like women, simple fact...until they do, 'moar' women will never come back to the sport...maybe the he-man woman haters club is cool with that.
MTB media does not know what to do without that new zealand guy on the circuit this year.
;)

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
You mean grey right? Very unimpressed with "Black Chrome" after seeing it in person.:rolleyes:
It looks pretty much like it does in every photo I have posted on the website, and that is a grey-ish tone. It is transparent black over chrome, so the name is correct.
The people have spoken, its the most popular color we do in the M9.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I was expecting my black to have more 'wow' factor. Really wish now I stumped up the extra on the custom colours, they look fantastic the ones ive seen. Of the stock colours red looks the best IMO.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hmm.. this is one sport that I see women getting recognition and respect on a higher level than most. While its still short of ideal, its way better than most sports.

WNBA - no respect, pretty high profile but most are unknown. Tracey, Fionn, go old school and give me ACC and Juli Furtado --- I dont know another sport where the average fan has a clue about the female side of things.

Def needs to improve, no doubt, but relatively speaking - far ahead of most.

Last edited:

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
6' and 180 lbs. I ride a medium.
Go for the large if you have fear.
If you want to carve like a banshee and slay berms and non-berms like the pros go for a medium.
Unless of course you don't jump.
Then get a long wheelbase machine. Oh wait...you can eff up the adjustments and make the M9 werk fer ya!
Just don't select yer bars/stem too low.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Wow, tis is a big thread. I've read quite a bit of it, but can any former M6 owners tell me how they compare? I have a friend that wants my M6 which I happen to really, really like and I can get into an M9 for very little cost if I sell it. How will it be different?

Also, anybody ridden with CCDB and Fox RC4? I like my CCDB, but would like to go Fox if I can because the WC tech guy was really good to me and my 40 last year.

nyy147

Chimp
Sep 23, 2008
Wow, tis is a big thread. I've read quite a bit of it, but can any former M6 owners tell me how they compare? I have a friend that wants my M6 which I happen to really, really like and I can get into an M9 for very little cost if I sell it. How will it be different?

Also, anybody ridden with CCDB and Fox RC4? I like my CCDB, but would like to go Fox if I can because the WC tech guy was really good to me and my 40 last year.
I had an m6 last year with a revoxx. The m9 blows it out of the water IMO. Did my first ride on my M9 today at diablo opening day and the first thing I noticed was how much more progressive the suspension is compared to the m6. Now given I have it in the 9" setting, most progressive, shortest stays, and -.5 degree cup. My biggest issue with the m6 was that the travel was so linear and I would blow through it on everything. The m9 was a completely different story, it was so lively and never once did I have a super harsh bottom out. In my setup it was extremely snappy through the tight techy rock gardens and the bike definitely instilled confidence no other bike I have ridden has given me. I have ridden a number of dh bikes, IH sunday, Session 10 and 88, flatlines, m6, v10, and this bike is FASSSSTT. Diablo has some pretty intense rock garden sections and this bike could not get enough of them. I swear the faster I went, the smoother they became. It was super poised while eating up the rock gardens and I felt faster on this bike than any other bike I have ridden. I havent had a chance to really play with the adjustements because it felt so good the way it is now but I plan on messing with the geo and seeing how different it really makes the bike feel. Over all I am super pleased with the bike and cannot wait for highland next weekend to really put it to the test on some techy rocks sections I really know well.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
First day on mine also at diablo. I have to say it rides really nice. Dorado still need to break in.
Great bike so far

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I really need to get the CCDB dialed in. I am going to try it in the shortest setting next week, I found the middle settings a little sketchy in tight spots and the rear a little jittery. Again I attribute this to the CCDB not being set up right. Other problem I had was clipping pedals even with 165s and Crampton pedals

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I really need to get the CCDB dialed in. I am going to try it in the shortest setting next week, I found the middle settings a little sketchy in tight spots and the rear a little jittery. Again I attribute this to the CCDB not being set up right. Other problem I had was clipping pedals even with 165s and Crampton pedals
Have you been to a mountain resort or is this trail riding ?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
did about 15k vertical feet at Platty yesterday and im loving this bike more than ever. the bike loves to be thrown around and flicked around turns. it holds a line amazing and is VERY predictable before it gets completely out of shape.
i still had the bike in the 8.5" setting and shortest wheelbase and dont think im going to change anything on it.

i did notice mine and someone else's M9's lower pivot bolts constantly coming loose. now that im home, im going to remove the bolt and loctite it so it doesnt come loose. a squeak has developed because of this too.
oh and the Angleset is garbage. 3 people this weekend had issues with theirs, all on various bikes.

nyy147

Chimp
Sep 23, 2008
Did you make sure to tighten the pinch bolt on the lower pivot? It keeps the actual pivot bolt locked in place so the only way it could loosen is if the pinch bolt loosened first

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Did you make sure to tighten the pinch bolt on the lower pivot? It keeps the actual pivot bolt locked in place so the only way it could loosen is if the pinch bolt loosened first
yes, it came loose as well. after a good cleaning, ill put a small amount of loctite on that as well.
i dont see it being a big issue once everything is cleaned and loctited.

What problems are you guys having with the headsets??
two of us had knocking when landing on rocky trails or when braking on rocky trails. it sounds like the headset coming loose but i believe its the gimballs shifting in the cups.
once i get a new headset in, this will be sold.

chup29

Chimp
Sep 9, 2009
Ashland
What problems are you guys having with the headsets??
apparently theres a "pop" when you hit bumps if the headtube isnt faced correctly and the lower crown/steertube isnt faced correctly - ive had my m9 since november - finally getting to build it up in a week!!! we'll see if i have the same issues...

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ

So far I love this thing, angle set is pissing me off a bit with a clunk noise every now and then. Still need some time to adjust the suspension but other than that I love it!

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
apparently theres a "pop" when you hit bumps if the headtube isnt faced correctly and the lower crown/steertube isnt faced correctly - ive had my m9 since november - finally getting to build it up in a week!!! we'll see if i have the same issues...
It's not just correct facing, it's mainly getting the gimbals to seat correctly.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Well atleast I'm not the only one, I thought Yuroshek and I were the only dudes on the mountain with angleset problems. I'm gonna play with it a bit and see if I can get rid of that noise.
Maybe it's a New Jersey problem.

Did you accidentally get some spray tan on it before assembly, or get hair gel all over the bearings?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well atleast I'm not the only one, I thought Yuroshek and I were the only dudes on the mountain with angleset problems. I'm gonna play with it a bit and see if I can get rid of that noise.
so he was serious that he did have a problem?
the plot thickens...

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Maybe it's a New Jersey problem.

Did you accidentally get some spray tan on it before assembly, or get hair gel all over the bearings?
It might have been a combination of both...

so he was serious that he did have a problem?
the plot thickens...
Yeah, he actually had it worse than me I think, I could hear his bike all over the place. Where mine would only clunk/pop every once and awhile.

Julio

Chimp
Jun 28, 2002
Brazil
Still playing with the CCDB, but already very impressed how the bike carries speed and rail turns!
36,3 - 36,7lb depending on tires.
Middle everything, except -0.5 cup.

Attachments

cosheen

Chimp
May 9, 2011
Hey there, i just built my M9 (with a CCDB) up with a 300x3 Spring at 8.5 LINEAR (upper leverage ratio) travel . I tried around with the setup recommended by CC
HSC (Revolutions In) - 1.75
LSC (Clicks In) - 14

...HSR (Revolutions In) - 2
LSR (Clicks In) - 17

but either the setup doesnt suit 8,5 and linear (maybe i should change back to middle leverage ratio) or i am too stupid :( i weigh around 77 kg / 170 lbs and the 350 lbs spring was to hard for me so this time 300.
As a fork i use a Marzocchi Evo Ti 2010 with the standard coil (and it fits perfect cause i ride the bike with my upper body nearly over the fork (frontish ?! ;) but in turn with less weight on the rear shock.

Maybe the riders with equal weight could send me their experiences or setups. Thx a lot guys :)

Bmt67Stang

Chimp
Aug 30, 2007
I think your spring is too soft... how much sag are you getting? if your in the 35% range for sag, then I would say your close.

Put it in the middle setting for the leverage, and 9". For a nice playfull setup that seems to soak most the big stuff start here (Settings are turns or clicks in from all the way open): HSC .5 turns HSR 2.5 -3, LSC 12-15, and LSR 15-18.

With the correct spring, I have found the bike doesnt need alot of compression from the shock as the progression of the leverage curve almost seems to provide its own compression... if you will.

Play with the HSR until you get the combination of playfulness and tracking through rough terrain a nice happy medium for your taste. Remember... Less HSR will make it feel more wild and lively, and more HSR will make it feel more dead and should track better through rough stuff.... FIND THE BALANCE POINT, its there!!

PS... If you ride fast, dont get too lost in the LSC and the LSR until your dialed with the high speed settings. Most things, when your traveling fast, hit hard enough to be in the high speed circuits even if they are small roots or rocks.... Its the speed of the hit, not the size of the hit.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
question: the instruction manual thats online shows three different torque ratings for the lower link bolts..the step by step says 115in/lbs for the top/front bolt and 150in/lbs for the lower/back bolt but the chart says 100in/lbs for both bolts. i cant seem to keep the top/front bolt tight despite what i thought was a tight set screw.
which should i use?

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
question: the instruction manual thats online shows three different torque ratings for the lower link bolts..the step by step says 115in/lbs for the top/front bolt and 150in/lbs for the lower/back bolt but the chart says 100in/lbs for both bolts. i cant seem to keep the top/front bolt tight despite what i thought was a tight set screw.
which should i use?
It should be 150in/lbs across the board on those, I wrote the manual, must have been high on paint fumes that day.
Will fix the manual right now. Sorry and thanks for pointing it out.

Stik

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
finaly got to ride bromont today.

The bike is FAST,need to dial my front end a bit more and it will be on the money.

But seriously,you can take turns so fast,suspension is amazing like my old vpp,rear shock is the best ever,need to slow it slightly down and I will be happy,need coils for both front and rear thow.

bike is planted,flows so good and I even hit one of the biggest rocks ever and just went over like butter.

I want to see with lighter springs/

Last edited: