Quantcast

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
Hey everyone..

have a bit of a creaky noise problem: the shock flip chips, should they be greased or not? the users manual doesn't explicitly state that. It says to just use the correct chip, and tight up to 190 in/lbs of torque.

The bike came back from the shop a couple of days ago, and initially, it was ninja silent. Then the creaking started up a couple of rides down the line. Took it back, LBS said he had the same issue and a second greasing quietened it down. But those chips dont rotate, or shouldnt. I'm wondering if the greasing caused it to start moving around, squeezed out most of the grease,and then the remaining amount just causes it to slide just enough to creak away.

Thoughts?

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
per spec. 190..

edit: scratch that last assumption. just called bike shop to confirm. they only torqued it to three quarters fo the required spec. meh...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Hey everyone..

have a bit of a creaky noise problem: the shock flip chips, should they be greased or not? the users manual doesn't explicitly state that. It says to just use the correct chip, and tight up to 190 in/lbs of torque.

The bike came back from the shop a couple of days ago, and initially, it was ninja silent. Then the creaking started up a couple of rides down the line. Took it back, LBS said he had the same issue and a second greasing quietened it down. But those chips dont rotate, or shouldnt. I'm wondering if the greasing caused it to start moving around, squeezed out most of the grease,and then the remaining amount just causes it to slide just enough to creak away.

Thoughts?
its a pretty common problem. the flip chips' annodizing is starting to rub off some. youll notice it soon enough on the chips themselves. you need to make sure they are clean and use some anti-seize on the flip chips and the box link to prevent the galling that is happening. its not a torque issue.
grease really isnt the proper solution to this problem

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I assume the upper link is the box link?

The bolts on the lower link of my M9 come loose ridiculously fast. About 2 or 3 turns out per ride. I need to get some threadlocker and hope that's enough. Weird that even the set screws can't stop them from backing out...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I assume the upper link is the box link?

The bolts on the lower link of my M9 come loose ridiculously fast. About 2 or 3 turns out per ride. I need to get some threadlocker and hope that's enough. Weird that even the set screws can't stop them from backing out...
no, the box link is the bottom link where it attaches to the swingarm, mainframe and shock.
read my post in your thread about the bolts coming loose. PM me if you have any questions about it.
using loctite will be a PITA since the cavity for the bolt is filled with a ton of grease.

if they bolts are coming loose that often, call Intense and get a new box link from them. youll notice when you take the bolts out, that the set screw put a groove into the bolt since it cannot properly hold it in place

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Thanks ricehater. How do you guys get the bolts on the box link to stay put without loctite? I've had everything torqued to "pretty damned tight" including the set screws and it still comes loose every ride.

I'd PM you but I take it this would be a valid concern for M9 owners. Sorry if it's been discussed earlier the thread. 55 pages needs a TL;DR! :D

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Thanks ricehater. How do you guys get the bolts on the box link to stay put without loctite? I've had everything torqued to "pretty damned tight" including the set screws and it still comes loose every ride.

I'd PM you but I take it this would be a valid concern for M9 owners. Sorry if it's been discussed earlier the thread. 55 pages needs a TL;DR! :D
it hasnt been discussed yet really.
the only way you can prevent them from backing out is to get a new box link. they said some werent machined right and it doesnt allow the bolts to follow bottom out to get proper torque.

i know some people that had some luck with removing the bolts, cleaning them, then cleaning out the grease cavities of most of the grease (since the bolts will get grease all over the loctite making it useless,) then reassembling everything with loctite (dont forget to fill the cavities back up with grease!)

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Looks like either way it's going to a PITA. I'll try and send Intense an e-mail and see what they think.
I find it hard to believe that loctite could keep the bolt snug if the set screws at pretty tight torque can't do the job though...

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
I read on some forum to try plumbers teflon tape on the flip chip. Mine was creaking like a frog... teflon tape worked a treat and cleans up easy, no residue.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
I read on some forum to try plumbers teflon tape on the flip chip. Mine was creaking like a frog... teflon tape worked a treat and cleans up easy, no residue.
yeah,I was thinking about putting something underneath it was well. But if it does fret, it's gonna eat away at that covering. How long did your mates solution work for?

As for that box link, is it a definitely problem with a particular linkage partnumber that can be fingered as problematic?

Thanks for the advice RiceHater :thumb:

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
I have had the teflon tape around the flip chip 4-5 months with no creaking. I did re-do it once when I was checking bottom out (removed spring). Seems to wear at a couple of spots but still fills the gap at others, so minimizes movement. Easy enuff to add more if creaking returns.:thumb:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
its a pretty common problem. the flip chips' annodizing is starting to rub off some. youll notice it soon enough on the chips themselves. you need to make sure they are clean and use some anti-seize on the flip chips and the box link to prevent the galling that is happening. its not a torque issue.
grease really isnt the proper solution to this problem
Right on.

mine started.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I had herd rumour of change in the lower link,but I dunno if they are still doing it.....

One reason was to have the diff bearing system....

Know this cause I spoke several times about 1 bearing shifting.
Wonder if they would change the chip system aswell.

Harrys

Chimp
Sep 29, 2010
Hi there,
Can I have some suggestions on which M9 frame size should I choose for my height 6’2”?
I’m now changing from an Orange 224 to the M9 and I’m having issues on which size should I buy the frame.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
6'5" on a large. Fits well but wish it was a touch bigger. Maybe XL V10c next season or just ride my DH 29er.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
I had herd rumour of change in the lower link,but I dunno if they are still doing it.....

I mentioned this box link issue to the local distributor, and received word that apparently, I'll be receiving a new box lower link.
Now this is interesting because I never asked for anything. I'm wondering if this isn't a stealth RMA, like how marzocchi replaced my 888's cartridge : I mentioned oil leak from the compression nut, they recommend I change the cartridge.. sure marzo... ;)

Anyway, will update once I get more info. But anyone else get the same sorta response, or know anything more concrete on any theorised changes/fixes to the box links?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

look a few post above yours

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
reluctant to post this since im not done with it, but i made a fiberglass proof of concept before i finalized my mold and waste any CF.

just waiting for my order for more tooling gel so i can make a newer, better mold before moving to CF.

i know a few people are interested but was curious if anyone else is

marci0

Chimp
Aug 26, 2010
I doubt anything will serve to report it,

My M9 was stolen along with 6 other bikes in Morzine last night. if anyone ever saw or suspected suggestion is welcome.

the number of frame is BCM109073

Frame Intense m9 fro RED + cane creek double barrel + titanium spring
Fork FOX 40 rc2 2011 black
Wheels deemax Ultimate tubeless yellow
Brakes Hope V2 tech Empire black/red
Brake Discs Hope V2 Blue 203+183 mm
Stem sunline V1 stem black
Handlebar raceface Atlas fr 2011 785mm black
Seatpost Carbon Burgtech
Hope Bolt clamp blue
Seat SDG Ti Fly titanium
E13 Lg1 CRC limited Black+Blue
Chainring 38t Raceface atlas black
Cage Shimano Saint 2011 SSCage
Crankset Shimano Saint 2011 165mm 85mm box
Front DX remote Shimano Saint 2011
Cassette Shimano ultegra 11-21
Pedals Straitline 2011 Blue
Grips Odi Troy lee Design with Blue rings
Maxxis Tubeless dhf+dhr
Chain Gold Kmc light

Hello everyone.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW

My M9 was stolen along with 6 other bikes in Morzine last night. if anyone ever saw or suspected suggestion is welcome.
That totally sucks. Sorry to hear about it. Bike thieves should be shot.

mexicandh

Chimp
Aug 10, 2011
They must have gotten a bad shock. I wouldn't describe the ride as "harsh" at any point in the travel ever. I run it in the most progressive setting at 9 inches and the stroke is smooth and the shock feels botomless.
hope so, my m9 is arriving this monday:D:D:D:D:D:D

uncle-mofo

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
Waterford, Ireland

the number of frame is BCM109073

Frame Intense m9 fro RED + cane creek double barrel + titanium spring
Fork FOX 40 rc2 2011 black
Wheels deemax Ultimate tubeless yellow
Brakes Hope V2 tech Empire black/red
Brake Discs Hope V2 Blue 203+183 mm
Stem sunline V1 stem black
Handlebar raceface Atlas fr 2011 785mm black
Seatpost Carbon Burgtech
Hope Bolt clamp blue
Seat SDG Ti Fly titanium
E13 Lg1 CRC limited Black+Blue
Chainring 38t Raceface atlas black
Cage Shimano Saint 2011 SSCage
Crankset Shimano Saint 2011 165mm 85mm box
Front DX remote Shimano Saint 2011
Cassette Shimano ultegra 11-21
Pedals Straitline 2011 Blue
Grips Odi Troy lee Design with Blue rings
Maxxis Tubeless dhf+dhr
Chain Gold Kmc light

Hello everyone.

That sucks, I had my DHR stolen in Morzine towards the end of June, did you have any luck with the police?

mexicandh

Chimp
Aug 10, 2011
Maybe..

I fixed my ending stroke harshness though. :cupidarrow:

I also have a coil Vivid just in case the air doesn't work out but looks like the coil Vivid will be sleeping with spiders in the garage for a long while.
to fit the vivid air what hardware you got?

and how you got it?