Quantcast

M9 vs Demo 8 (sorry another 'vs' thread)

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Looking to build up a bike over the winter and I have decided on one of these two. I have been riding Specialized for a long time and definitely like their bikes. Had an 05 and 08 Demo most recently. However, I would really like to try out something new and the M9 is just gorgeous. I like the geometry on it as well and think it would suit my riding style. I think my one main weakness as a DH rider/racer is plowing through rock gardens (which has to happen sometimes during races etc.) and think the M9 may help with my confidence there over the Demo. I havent decided on a 2012 or 2011 of either of these bikes, if I could get a 2011 for cheaper at the end of winter I would probably go with that, doesnt look like either have major changes. Any of you guys have experience with both of the bikes? Like I said ive been on Demos for a while and am sure all the improvements between 08 and now make it much more of a race machine, but would really like to try something new out.

My riding is mainly east coast DH stuff. Snowshoe, Seven Springs, Diablo and anywhere else I can get to. I normally do some CAT 1 racing as well as the US Open but didnt race any this past season. Some freeriding and jumping thrown in there as well.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks guys

SCARY

Not long enough
I was a little hesitant when I went to the m9.I thought is was gonna be too much of a plow.I was really wrong.It does plow well,but is lively at the same time.

You can't underestimate how many adjustments there are that affects the bike personality,especially with the CCBD shock.You can make it into the ultimate rock eating plow machine if you want,or set it up like a 951 and pop and bounce off stuff and have fun.

It's the fastest bike I've ever owned,and I've owned 7 DH bikes.It makes you feel like you're going slower than you are,which is something I'm still trying to factor in how I approach corners and the rough.Jumps really level too and lands like a Baja truck.I run mine in 9.5 mode and in the short chain stay mode,which might be similar to the demo as far as corners-don't know.Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I own an M9 and have a lot of friends with Demo 8's. There is a huge difference between. the bikes. I haven't spent excessive time on the Demo but my impressions of it were harsh or hard and not being compliant when compared to the M9. But a bit biased here.

M9 is very very good at plowing. Coming from a Banshee Scythe it was just jaw dropping how I could ride it into the biggest holes going mach stupid and not get bucked. But what's most suprising is that when riding normal stuff it doesn't feel like over kill. Soft but easy to carry and pedals very very well. Much better than the M6 IMO. Maybe on par with the Scythe, but I had more pedal strikes with the Banshee despite the M9 riding much lower.

Amazing what these modern bikes can do! :D

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
I have a Demo and I've ridden a M9 once. They are definately different bikes. The cockpits/stance felt the most different to me. The M9 feels like you are "on" it, the Demo feels like you are "in" it. I didn't like the particular M9 I rode but it might not have been setup properly for me. The '11 Demo is my first real DH bike and I couldn't be any more satisfied.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
FWIW latest DIRT review on the M9 said the Demo 8 felt like a trail bike in comparison. They also suggested the CCDB was not the right shock for the frame and commented the RC4 or BOS offerings would be better. FWIW I've ridden neither but if I had to choose it would be a carbon v10. :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
FWIW latest DIRT review on the M9 said the Demo 8 felt like a trail bike in comparison. They also suggested the CCDB was not the right shock for the frame and commented the RC4 or BOS offerings would be better. FWIW I've ridden neither but if I had to choose it would be a carbon v10. :)
One friend of mine also complained on the ccdb in his m9 but he is a bit of a suspension knob so I wouldnt take his word for granted.

Still I would get a Legend. Goes through rockgardens better than anything without an idler. I really think it is faster over the rough than many other bikes. Plus it never gave me any worries. Over 2 seasons that is a huge plus.

If not go with the m9. Selling an alu demo soon will be a lot harder ;)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
at 6'2" i prefer my large M9 over the large Demo. the demo felt way too small for my liking. most of my other DH bikes are longer, so riding the Demo felt really weird.
the M9 can definitely shines in the rough stuff. staying on the brakes in the rough rock gardens isnt the way to ride the bike...letting the brakes go and pointing the bike is the trick. the bike tracks amazing. id put it on par with my Foes frames, which handle like they are on rails IMO

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Isnt the demo longer in the reach than the m9? I cant really comment on the m9 as i havent ridden one but i've been on my demo now since early dec. The demo is definetly not much of a plow bike, it handles rough stuff but were it really shines is on steep stuff and through corners. A properly setup suspension helps with the rough stuff though. Its nimble, light and plain easy to ride on thechnical terrain. It just boggels me how the build quality could be so low from such a big company, fingers crossed the carbon one is going to be better.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Isnt the demo longer in the reach than the m9? I cant really comment on the m9 as i havent ridden one but i've been on my demo now since early dec. The demo is definetly not much of a plow bike, it handles rough stuff but were it really shines is on steep stuff and through corners. A properly setup suspension helps with the rough stuff though. Its nimble, light and plain easy to ride on thechnical terrain. It just boggels me how the build quality could be so low from such a big company, fingers crossed the carbon one is going to be better.
what exatly do you mean with low build quality? Nothing wrong with my demo after some serious abuse and lots of wet days......

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
low build quality maybe isnt the best term but it has been a nightmare to build up my demo. First out of the box the hole for the shock yoke was severly misaligned, then i couldnt mount eiter my burgtec or I9 hub. The rear axel somehow wedged in the drop out so i had use a fair amount of force to even get it out then i had to file on both sides to be able to mount my rear wheel. After that came the headache of trying to mount a vivid air, then the stupid way of mountig the cable guides a long with a little anoying routing.

So to my the layout of the frame in terms of userfriendlyness it fails big time but for me the ride quality more than makes up for it. It seems more like a prototype that was rushed into production.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I rode a demo 8 last year and M9 this year.
M9 is better plow bike and plusher.
I did not like the super low bb of the demo.
At 6'5" I feel the large M9 a little small. Will be selling it soon to get an XL V10.
I feel I am way too over the rear wheel.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Thanks for all the responses guys! I really am leaning towards the M9 as I want to try something new out. Now for sizing...I was riding a SMALL 08 Demo 8 II, i prefer my bikes a bit smaller but i feel like maybe a medium M9 would be better. I am about 5'9-5'10ish. I believe from comparing the M9 and Demo they have similar specs as far as wheelbase and reach go (i think?). Would I be better on a small or medium M9?

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I'm 5'7" and prefer bikes on the larger side. I was given a deal on a small so I took it. It's a little larger than some of the mediums that I've been on before. Medium M9 with your should be bang on, but if you really like the feel of smaller bikes the small M9 should still fit with a stretch.

SCARY

Not long enough
don't forget about the amount of adjustability on the m9.The three shock positions alone are progressive,linear and regressive.I'm coming off a 951 which is super poppy,and the middle position On the m9 has a good "happy "feel but is a bit more forgiving when it gets going rough.I should play around more with the adjustments here,soon.

Plus,there are too many demos out there already...enough.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
low build quality maybe isnt the best term but it has been a nightmare to build up my demo. First out of the box the hole for the shock yoke was severly misaligned, then i couldnt mount eiter my burgtec or I9 hub. The rear axel somehow wedged in the drop out so i had use a fair amount of force to even get it out then i had to file on both sides to be able to mount my rear wheel. After that came the headache of trying to mount a vivid air, then the stupid way of mountig the cable guides a long with a little anoying routing.

So to my the layout of the frame in terms of userfriendlyness it fails big time but for me the ride quality more than makes up for it. It seems more like a prototype that was rushed into production.
DT-Swiss and Hope Pro II Hubs fit fine, but I agree normally every 12x150 Hub should fit without filing.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You just like to fight.You said the same damn thing.
um no. what i said was the complete opposite of what you said.
the curve is not linear at all even in the middle setting, nor is it at all regressive.
you did get one of them right. :rolleyes:

edit:

Last edited: