Quantcast

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Myself and a friend are considering both of these frames.

I wouldn't normally post this kind of thread as I know there's no substitute for riding the actual bikes themselves, but there's simply no way I can get first hand experience of riding them.

Basically, I'd like some real world experience...what you like, what you don't like, how durable they are, what the customer service is like, how easy are they to set up (I know the m9 has a lot of adjustability, how much of a pain was it to find the sweet spot with it?). If anyone's ridden both a comparison would be great too.

If it helps at all, I'm coming off a medium Sunday and I vaguely know what I want from a bike. I've got my shock tuned so that there's plenty of support in the mid-stroke, and I love the way it rides at the moment. It's also got -1.5 reducer cups, and I might want it a wee bit slacker...63 is probably the ideal for me. How do the m9/dhr compare to the sunday?

My friend rides an 06 demo9 and he loves it (personally I hate the damn thing, feels like riding a plump viking maiden into battle), but he's not so sure what he wants from a frame. Again, how would the m9/dhr compare?

Any input appreciated! :)

Cheers,

Harry

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i haven't ridden either besides a parking lot test...but if you like the sunday, and it doesn't do anything weird by you, why not get the DHR? I would imagine the bikes will ride somewhat similar, being designed by DW and all, with the DHR featuring more refinement and modern geo.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I own an m9 and have ridden a dhr.

Maybe go the dhr if you ride a sunday as per above's post. i feel the dhr pedalled better.

The m9 loves the tracks the gnarlier they are. very confidence inspiring and stiff. Doesnt need much adjusting from stock positions as per your concern. Corners so fast but does smack pedals down alot.

Maybe just go what looks better to you as there both rad bikes!

eastcoastDH

Chimp
Apr 8, 2011
noVA
Both are awesome bikes but i'd go with the DHR. If you said you want a 63 HA, thats what the DHR has. The DHR is insanely fast and agile and can handle anything, not that the M9 can't, but the DHR is my personal prefrence. I was considering a DHR for a while, but ended up getting an '11 Makulu instead. Hope this helped some.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sunday and DHR may be similar in anti-squat, but their leverage curves are mighty different... I've not ridden these bikes though, so won't say anything more!
that might be true, but I suspect that the braking, pedaling, and other components might be pretty similar, they are all part of the package.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
All hearsay, but maybe this'll help? Besides, spouting bullroar on ridemonkey is a good way to get your head in line for writing cover letters!

One of my best buds rides a dw dhr, and rode a sunday for a few years before it that he loved. He had an evil in between the two that he never got along with. Now that he's on the dhr, he's finally having a ton of fun and riding real fast, just like he used to on the sunday. He's in love with his dhr, and often says the dhr is much like the sunday in how you ride the bike, but that the dhr has much better geometry and suspension, so it corners, plows and pops much better, and is way more nimble, but more stable when you need it. Has me pretty sold. I also used to own an '08 dhr that I loved, and I always got fabulous customer service from turner. The new bike also has a pivot bearing system that seems pretty ingenious.

I've also got a good buddy that loved his sunday and spent time on a m9. He said the m9 definitely rode well, but that it was a big, plush bike that loved going straight over the rough and is probably at home at ft william, but not the most playful nor agile. That's just how my old demo 9 rode, so that's prob a good fit for your bud. Also, he can run it short/steep and long travel, just like his demo. Fwiw, I've always felt that vpp and horst link have a lot of similar traits in regards to pedaling, braking, and mid-stroke support, and the m6 and demo 9 are surprisingly familiar IMO. Also, when I broke my 951, it took several months to get a new subframe (though I did get it) and Intense hasn't really been known for their CS.

I think you should buy the turner, he should buy the Intense.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
All hearsay, but maybe this'll help? Besides, spouting bullroar on ridemonkey is a good way to get your head in line for writing cover letters!

One of my best buds rides a dw dhr, and rode a sunday for a few years before it that he loved. He had an evil in between the two that he never got along with. Now that he's on the dhr, he's finally having a ton of fun and riding real fast, just like he used to on the sunday. He's in love with his dhr, and often says the dhr is much like the sunday in how you ride the bike, but that the dhr has much better geometry and suspension, so it corners, plows and pops much better, and is way more nimble, but more stable when you need it. Has me pretty sold. I also used to own an '08 dhr that I loved, and I always got fabulous customer service from turner. The new bike also has a pivot bearing system that seems pretty ingenious.

I've also got a good buddy that loved his sunday and spent time on a m9. He said the m9 definitely rode well, but that it was a big, plush bike that loved going straight over the rough and is probably at home at ft william, but not the most playful nor agile. That's just how my old demo 9 rode, so that's prob a good fit for your bud. Also, he can run it short/steep and long travel, just like his demo. Fwiw, I've always felt that vpp and horst link have a lot of similar traits in regards to pedaling, braking, and mid-stroke support, and the m6 and demo 9 are surprisingly familiar IMO. Also, when I broke my 951, it took several months to get a new subframe (though I did get it) and Intense hasn't really been known for their CS.

I think you should buy the turner, he should buy the Intense.
Thanks very much, just the sort of info I was looking for!

You're absolutely spot on about my mate, it's funny you mention fort william as that's his favourite track of all time (we live in scotland, plenty of roxxx as you yanks like to say ;))...also happens to be one of mine, but I've always been one for more "delicate" bikes that are a bit more playful and precise. I've also heard great things about turner customer service. I think you've sold me! Thanks for all the replies lads.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
My friend just asked how both bikes handle square edged hits...I'm guessing both do it well? I'm not an axle path nut by any means so I have no idea.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
One of my best buds rides a dw dhr, and rode a sunday for a few years before it that he loved. He had an evil in between the two that he never got along with. Now that he's on the dhr, he's finally having a ton of fun and riding real fast, just like he used to on the sunday. He's in love with his dhr, and often says the dhr is much like the sunday in how you ride the bike
Sounds like Pitton...?

MTBAlex

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
Campbell, CA
I haven't been on a M9 but my DHR handles square edges amazingly. The bike just goes over them and keeps getting faster. That's my perception anyways compared to my old bike (which wasn't a full DH sled).

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I went from a Sunday to a DHR. To me it seems like the DHR is the evolution of the Sunday, everything that I thought could be improved on the Sunday has been done on the DHR
- its a night and day difference when it comes to square edged hits, the Sunday tended to hang up a little at times, not the case with DHR.
-Quality of the frame is much higher, pretty sure there's no bog/bondo on my DHR.
-Pivots seem much improved-time will tell I guess.

Just a much better package all round, can't comment on the M9 as I haven't ridden one.

In Ridemonkey speak
DHR =Sunday + Moar shimz

Mar 14, 2008
Went from a Sunday to DHR as well. In my view, my 08 Sunday was pretty dialed, with reducer cups and modern parts in abundance.

I posted initial impressions and build of the DHR here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241559

Since my post, I've come to love the bike even more. I test rode a DHR last summer at Crankworx, and I said then that the bike generates easy speed. Two months into ownership and many shuttle rides later, I believe that now more than ever. The bike corners awesome, pedals awesome and it handles speed and rough stuff with aplomb while still being plenty poppy when you want it to be. Not sure how it compares to the M9, which is also unquestionably a great bike. I think the Turner's lighter for sure (1-2#s), and I would bet that its build quality is at least as good as the Intense. Plus, I kinda like that Turners are a bit rarer.

At the end of the day, I very much doubt that you'd complain if you bought the DHR. Its simply kick ass. You'd probably say the same thing about the Intense too tho. Thus, I'd say pick the one that makes you wanna ride, cuz at the end of the day getting out there and shredding dirt is what its all about.

One note on CS: I have Hope hubs and they don't work with the stock stepped rear axle. Not to worry tho, as a call to Turner customer service had a replacement axle my way in no time, free of charge.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Mmm...I have a newfound respect for the dwdhr, but you might want to check mtbr on compatibility and manufacturing issues...

I gotta say one thing about that....

When I had my Turner, I barely posted on the forums at all. I think I went something like 6 mos with no ridemonkey.

When I had my 951, I was on ridemonkey damn near everyday...and I gained 20 lbs.

There's a lesson in there!

Beheaded

Chimp
Nov 19, 2009
The 951 has been fixed and its called the M9. Suspension works and super adjustable geo. I was smoking a buddy on his new DHR last weekend so I am happy with my M9.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
I was smoking a buddy
That sounds like a fairly uncomfortable past time? ;)

Cheers guys, I'm fairly set on the dhr by the sounds of things. If my sunday had slightly longer chainstays and didn't belong to a dead company I'd probably carry on riding it till it eventually died - sounds like the dhr is definitely the answer.

My mate's leaning towards the dhr too, he's gonna have a go on my sunday first and see what he thinks. Personally I think the m9 would be better for him. That, and we'd look a wee bit too factory with matching frames.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Had the full on decked out Sunday, top of the line dialed and loved it. But I've put in time on the proto DW-DHR and my personal one will be built up soon. Can't say enough about it. If you're coming off a Sunday, just picture yourself riding it faster and through bigger stuff more comfortably.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I just got an M9 and still playing with the adjustments. I have it set up with a Totem as the frame deal kind of jumped on me.

I'd say get the DHR if you know that that is the bike you want, but you are still unsure the M9 is a very versatile bike.
Right now I've got it set up in the shortest of the G3 settings and I've got the shock set up a little bit poppy, and it is quite agile. It is a small though and my single crown is a 1.5" so I can't use the angle set yet but I imagine if you steepen up the head angle you could get it to feel how you want to.

M9's strength is it's adjustability.

I'll post pics of mine soon. It looks sick with a Totem! I'm planning on ditching the FRO sticker and making it an M9 FR. :D

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Just another question - is the dhr with CCDB worth the extra money over the fox? I'd like to think I could get it set up pretty well given some time (I know what I like in the way suspension feels), is the quality of the damping much improved on the dhr with the CCDB?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just another question - is the dhr with CCDB worth the extra money over the fox? I'd like to think I could get it set up pretty well given some time (I know what I like in the way suspension feels), is the quality of the damping much improved on the dhr with the CCDB?
Weagle is about the only one I know of on here that's ran both. Based on everything I've experienced the RC4, I can't see a reason to go with the DB until you've tried to exceed the limits of the RC4.

I've ran a DB and LOVED what it did on the Demo platform. I'd like to say it would be even better on the DHR...but I couldn't outride the damper on the RC4. And I was getting pretty stupid trying to.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I have now had 2 days at bromont with my m9.

All I can say is,

You can ride anything,at any speed.

its actualy scary how low and fast you can go in a turn.

bottomless travel.

I came off a mk1 v10 being my last dh shuttle and wanted something similar since I LOVE VPP platform

m9 blows out of water.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh noes! the homers!

Not going to lie, the suggestion to max out any one setting, let alone two, is pretty terrifying to me. I like to see suggested settings right in the middle of a shock's range, then you can actually tune them. Am I wrong in thinking that having some range to play with is better than maxing out the boost volume and minimizing boost pressure? That's what you have to do on the sunday to get things to work...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
oh noes! the homers!

Not going to lie, the suggestion to max out any one setting, let alone two, is pretty terrifying to me. I like to see suggested settings right in the middle of a shock's range, then you can actually tune them. Am I wrong in thinking that having some range to play with is better than maxing out the boost volume and minimizing boost pressure? That's what you have to do on the sunday to get things to work...
Other than rebound damping, every single new bike or shock I get gets its first ride with all compression damping (and in the case of fox shocks) the air chamber backed off. Mostly to feel what the bike is doing by itself, but this also keeps me from forming nutty opinions like that dhr review.

Don't forget, not all shocks even have that feature and it's mostly there to give some ramp to frames that have none. The DHR does. I got almost half a season in on my bike last year and the air pressure has stayed just above the minimum, and the chamber volume at its max. It's good.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Sandwich -
I think you'll find the suggestion to maximise the boost volume is actually the opposite to the Sunday (which needs the smallest boost volume). This is because the DHR (supposedly) has a double progressive curve (progressive-linear-progressive) unlike the Sunday which is progressive-linear.

So a progressive shock like the RC4 which is amazing in the Sunday, might need to be linearised for the DHR - hence DW's suggestion of using a larger chamber volume and lower pressures. A more conventional shock would actually have fairly neutral settings on the DHR.

That review though - I suspect there might have been something amiss/wrong with the shock, the fact that he was complaining about the fork (as well) makes me think he either got clapped out suspension for the test, or stuff that was new and not broken in - because while he sounds honest, the claims don't seem to line up with anything else I've heard.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That review though - I suspect there might have been something amiss/wrong with the shock, the fact that he was complaining about the fork (as well) makes me think he either got clapped out suspension for the test, or stuff that was new and not broken in - because while he sounds honest, the claims don't seem to line up with anything else I've heard.
Sounds like he got some fat dude's bike.

edit: I also really wasn't a fan of weagle's recommendations on compression damping on that frame either. I agree with him on the boost valve settings though.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Good points. I guess I don't know my Fox technology that well. I'm just a little weary of maxing or minimizing any adjuster....I suppose the boost valve is less of an adjuster and more of a "tune to frame" setting...?

I agree that it seems odd to me that he couldn't find an appropriate setting for the DHR....especially as a bike tester, I'd think you could find a different shock to test pretty easily.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I think that review is pretty bogus as it goes against every other review on the internet and from all that I've heard from trusted friends.

I know that guy has a history of riding Marzocchi equipped Norcos that are known to be big and squishy. Also, considering he said he put his beloved old 888 on the dhr makes me think he is just like so many other riders on the shore that treat LSC with such disdain. Furthermore, you may notice that every photo has woodwork in it. I think Dave Turner pinched a loaf in Canada's Corn Flakes (for which I salute him).

*If you stare at photos 2-4 for 30sec, a swivel teeter, a suspension bridge, and a rainbow-shaped log ride will appear, respectively.

Last edited:

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
He said he switched the shock to another bike to see if it was the shock that was at fault. Shock worked fine on other bike.

Test bikes are often ridden hard an put away wet, but switching out to parts that you know work well should highlight the true nature of the bike.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
He said he switched the shock to another bike to see if it was the shock that was at fault. Shock worked fine on other bike.

Test bikes are often ridden hard an put away wet, but switching out to parts that you know work well should highlight the true nature of the bike.
That completely depends on the tune of the shock. If you're going to really test something, you should make sure everything is operating in spec. Who knows if the shock on the bike was stock?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
That completely depends on the tune of the shock. If you're going to really test something, you should make sure everything is operating in spec. Who knows if the shock on the bike was stock?
If you send out a bike for testing that sells for $3500 for the frame, it is your fault if the shock is pooched and nets a ****ty review.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I trust that NSMB review about as much as a review from here, mtbr, pb, etc. Which is not very much.

This bit made me think this guy races cat 4:

"Dave Weagle has designed the new DHR to utilize a “dual progressive shock rate” and “anti-squat”, although I can’t figure out why these characteristics are good for a DH bike."

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I trust that NSMB review about as much as a review from here, mtbr, pb, etc. Which is not very much.

This bit made me think this guy races cat 4:

"Dave Weagle has designed the new DHR to utilize a “dual progressive shock rate” and “anti-squat”, although I can’t figure out why these characteristics are good for a DH bike."
he was actually 9th in Pro at the second NW Cup....Tim's a pretty meticulous gear guy...for what it's worth...

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Sorry to keep harping on the NSMB review of the DHR but.....
1. I've ridden 4 different DHRs so far (including my own) and every one of them has been amazing. The rear suspension has been so good that I have not be able to tune a fork that can keep up with it.
2. I've been mostly using the RC4 (not normally my favorite shock) on my DHR and it has been excellent. I do agree with Weagle that it requires very little compression damping and you should run the boost volume at max with low pressure. The bike itself has such a good progression rate that it just doesn't need much help from the shock.
3. It's a top level DH race bike, not a North Shore FR bike. Yes, a 63 degree Head Angle will be too slack for riding skinnies. That's not what the bike was designed for.
4. Who rides a DH bike (or any MTB) without a chainstay protector???? I've got the top and bottom of the chainstay and the bottom of the seatstay covered, and the bike runs very quite.

I'm not sure what was wrong with the bike or shock or shock setup, but something seems way out of whack with this review compared to everything I've experienced and other reviews I've read.