Quantcast

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
OK, sounds as though we've got some interest, I'll work on dates and other specifics.
Super cool, hopefully I can make it! Was thinking the last 100 miles of the CT as a schlepped / supported multi-day trip would be my 'big thing' next year but this could be even cooler. If a Sherpa / schlepper / sag driver can't be found, how much of a pain would the logistics be to drop a couple campsites for ourselves be? This is what I was thinking for the CT trip, but it does add like a day...

You and kidwoo can both suck it. :D

Dakota Cyclery in Medora is set up to shuttle gear and they have experience supporting group trips. I'm going to try to call them tomorrow. I imagine that there's some sweet spot for them in terms of number of riders and they'll have suggestions regarding when to ride taking into account temperature and precipitation. My local riding buddy says July to September is ideal.

From Jen at Dakota Cyclery regarding supported rides:
  • Late July to early September is best riding time.
  • Cost per head (I think I have this right)
    • One to three riders $300
    • Four riders $249
    • Five $218
    • Six $198
    • Seven $183
    • Eight $172
    • Nine $163
    • More than nine riders gets into a second van, less practical
  • $50 deposit; non-refundable, but remains as credit should you choose to reschedule.
  • DC schleps our gear, including coolers, which they keep supplied with ice. Don't overpack.
So far, serious interest seems to have been expressed by
  1. Full Trucker
  2. Heidi
  3. johnbryanpeters
  4. Pesqueeb
  5. HAB
  6. JohnE
  7. JBP's friend Lisa
Which would put us in the $172/head range.

How about September 12-14?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I blocked out Sept 10-14 on my calendar. I can make whatever work, especially with this long of notice. The weekend would be "better" in that I wouldn't have to take as much PTO but I'm still in enough that I'll do whatever. Thanks for looking in to the logisitics, JBP, this oughtta be fun. I assume that...
  1. We have to 'stock' the coolers and provide our own food?
  2. They'll schlep us and our bikes back to the start?
  3. 3 days riding, 2 nights camping?
  4. We'll need to be otherwise self-reliant out on trail, or will they do a mid-day stop with lunch and whatnot?
Bikes!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I blocked out Sept 10-14 on my calendar. I can make whatever work, especially with this long of notice. The weekend would be "better" in that I wouldn't have to take as much PTO but I'm still in enough that I'll do whatever. Thanks for looking in to the logisitics, JBP, this oughtta be fun. I assume that...
  4. We'll need to be otherwise self-reliant out on trail, or will they do a mid-day stop with lunch and whatnot?
Bikes!
:stupid:

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a motorcycle trip through the bad lands/devils tower into this. The biggest obstacle I foresee so far is the food issue.

I assume that...
  1. I think so. I need also to verify that they provide coolers.
  2. Yes.
  3. That was my general plan.
  4. I don't think that they meet us mid-day, I'll check.

So I think our confirmed list at this point is
  1. Pesqueeb
  2. Full Trucker
  3. johnbryanpeters
  4. JohnE
  5. Nick
Riding dates Monday 12 to Wednesday 14 September 2016.

For anybody that is confirmed, please PM me with your "real world" name and email address. 'squeeb, I got you covered. We all need to send a deposit to Dakota Cyclery, and I want Jen to be able to associate us as a group.

Heidi and HAB, are you in?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am a definite maybe...will be freshly retired from the AF (Which is god...) but also possibly starting or searching for a new job (Which could be bad...). What do we think is a drop dead date for commitment?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I am a definite maybe...will be freshly retired from the AF (Which is god...) but also possibly starting or searching for a new job (Which could be bad...). What do we think is a drop dead date for commitment?
Just have the AF ship yourself and a bike to Minot. Someone can come pick you up.

There's no drop dead date at present.

Them what get their deposit to Dakota Cyclery gets a slot up to our limit of nine. I will be posting more specific instructions.

We seem to have no problem with minimum group size - I think firm commits in this thread at present are 'Squeeb, FT, myself, and Nick and four will guarantee us a supported trip. The more people who actually ride, the less the cost per head.

Last edited: