Quantcast

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Home at last!
And my wife has decided that we need to go camping this weekend, so I'm refreezing the cooler, doing laundry and heading out early tomorrow AM to try to grab a site at my happy place on Cliff/Wade lakes

cliff.jpg

Oh well, highs in the 60s, lows in the 30s (frigid canoeing/SUP weather) but just happens to be 20 mins from the best riding in the state.

The road goes on forever and the (mountain biking/camping) party never ends...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am missing a sock. Did you eat it?

After leaving 11 am Eastern time yesterday, I arrived home at 8:15 pm today. I'm more than fatigued. Also seem to have gained something short of six pounds.
Sitting in a car is never better than sitting on the saddle. I believe I need to look for another Western Epic next summer but not in the usual places.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
And my wife has decided that we need to go camping this weekend, so I'm refreezing the cooler, doing laundry and heading out early tomorrow AM to try to grab a site at my happy place on Cliff/Wade lakes

View attachment 123210

Oh well, highs in the 60s, lows in the 30s (frigid canoeing/SUP weather) but just happens to be 20 mins from the best riding in the state.

The road goes on forever and the (mountain biking/camping) party never ends...
LOL! I think we are camping again this weekend too! Enjoy

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am missing a sock. Did you eat it?
That would be a negative, sir.

My bike has been picked up by FedEx and is on its way home. I am scrambling to prepare for a week+ long vacation starting on Saturday, visiting the Badlands again.

Btw. Jen is missing a cylinder for her trailer lock. Anyone seen it by any chance?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
That would be a negative, sir.

My bike has been picked up by FedEx and is on its way home. I am scrambling to prepare for a week+ long vacation starting on Saturday, visiting the Badlands again.

Btw. Jen is missing a cylinder for her trailer lock. Anyone seen it by any chance?
@Montana rider and I found the trailer lock, sans cylinder, on the side of the road midway between our camp and the shop. We left the lock on her back doorstep Tuesday morning. He might be able to be more precise about the location.

EDIT: The lock was found on the right side of the road heading back to Medora from camp, on one of the two hills on East River Road.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah but no one likes riding on trails with cow shit and I've definitely had it impact me from contaminating my water or gloves to give me the shits at a later date. Ignoring the article written by silly people, was the trail worth it?

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Ignoring the article written by silly people, was the trail worth it?
IMO: no.

There's eleventy billionty 100 mile sections of singletrack in CO/WY/WA/ID/MT/UT/NM/OR/CA that are more worthy of your time and $, but I prefer to bike for the 'out there' (lowercase) wilderness experiece...

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ignoring the article written by silly people, was the trail worth it?
Abso-fucking-lutely. I don't think they rode that much - they acknowledged to have bailed some sections and rode gravel roads instead. Also, you can connect several different camp sites, we rode the longest route from CCC to Magpie camp (~40 miles day 1), to Elkhorn camp (~20 miles day 2), to Medora (~50 miles day 3). They did not ride the by far the best and most challenging piece of the trail from CCC, and in general, the article is meh.

It cracks me up how people compliment "their" pictures while in reality, a pro NYT photographer was shipped on site and took a few pictures of the bike shop owner (who was not riding the trail).

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
IMO: no.

There's eleventy billionty 100 mile sections of singletrack in CO/WY/WA/ID/MT/UT/NM/OR/CA that are more worthy of your time and $, but I prefer to bike for the 'out there' (lowercase) wilderness experiece...
Ha! I guess being from the general area makes the bar a bit higher. :) I liked the remoteness and wilderness (sans the omnipresent oil wells) a lot and would do it again.

Yeah but no one likes riding on trails with cow shit and I've definitely had it impact me from contaminating my water or gloves to give me the shits at a later date. Ignoring the article written by silly people, was the trail worth it?
It really depends on how you get your rocks off. If you like to challenge your capacity for endurance and wish to experience some really unique terrain, it's worth it.

With regard to cow shit, water bottles are certainly not recommended.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ha! I guess being from the general area makes the bar a bit higher. :) I liked the remoteness and wilderness (sans the omnipresent oil wells) a lot and would do it again.
A Montana epic is right for you... I did not mind the MDH in general but found the trail to be long periods of boring peppered with a few miles of fun. The draw to the trail is the endurance aspect and scenery not the actual trail. I can see runners loving it and bikers being somewhat bored with grasslands.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Me and my wife just did the MDH150 last weekend. She really likes it there, the heat kills me.
I have a BZN friend who did the 100 and 150 this year too as he does every year.

He's a really nice guy but there is definitely something "wrong" with him re: his affinity/affliction with the MDH WTF.

I still contend there's 11ty billionty better singletrack epic rides within 2 hrs of BZN, Ask TreeSaw, Sq-rl

To.each their own (cow pie/methane well )

⛽:headbang::popcorn:

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Worst part of the ride, by several orders of magnitude.

And according locals who have done the 150 (and those who have done just the last 50) we missed the best riding (i.e. the newest 50 miles were built with singletrack in mind...)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My googler reports that this was 5 years ago. Cow pies not withstanding, I would totally do it again.

Thanks for the ride, everyone.
We do need another western epic. Actually....we are planning a trip that way to see the Grand Canyon next summer so maybe we can meet up and mountain bike with you all again! We will have the doggo and the kids (with our camper) too!