Quantcast

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I believe I will. Now I need to get a new tent, my old Topeak bike tent has seen better days, also need a new sleeping bag and inflatable pillow... I've given away or thrown away all my old gear.
I have 2-person, 3-person, and 6-person tents. I am planning on using the 2-person but I can bring either of the other 2 or both if you or anyone else might need to borrow something. I'm driving solo in a double cab Tundra, so space is not an issue.

I am open to suggestions on required supplies, in the past I've only brought oats, dried fruit and raw nuts.
Beer. You need to bring beer.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I believe I will. Now I need to get a new tent, my old Topeak bike tent has seen better days, also need a new sleeping bag and inflatable pillow... I've given away or thrown away all my old gear.

I am open to suggestions on required supplies, in the past I've only brought oats, dried fruit and raw nuts.
No bacon.....No Beer? Are you a robot?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I have 2-person, 3-person, and 6-person tents. I am planning on using the 2-person but I can bring either of the other 2 or both if you or anyone else might need to borrow something. I'm driving solo in a double cab Tundra, so space is not an issue.

Beer. You need to bring beer.
We have a 2 person and a 4-6 person tent as well. We could bring either...was thinking 2 person, but we can bunk with others too.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, all 3 days on the SB6c. I pedaled the Kokopelli Trail in 3 days on an SB-66c and that was fine, and I like this bike way better for long rides. You should just join us for the whole trip, gonna be awesome.
I'll be on my daily driver too (ASR5), so SM should just ride his giggle pig and we'll have a MDH Yeti 'gathering'

While hard tail sounds logical I don't trust the older components on mine <= no jinx

We have a 2 person and a 4-6 person tent as well. We could bring either...was thinking 2 person, but we can bunk with others too.
Less camping gear = more room / weight for beer

We can suss this out next (!) Thur/Fri but I'll skip the stove and will try to pack "small"

2 man tent/sleeping bag/camp chair/clothes
1 large (food) cooler with block ice for the duration and open space for someone else's food...
12 pack soft (beer) cooler which they will replenish daily with ice

Dark Beer :headbang:
Hoppy Beer :headbang:

Food

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've never been a supported deal like this before, whatever could fit in the Bob Yak and not weigh me down was the way I went.

I don's share well so I will go tent shopping tomorrow. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I'll be on my daily driver too (ASR5), so SM should just ride his giggle pig and we'll have a MDH Yeti 'gathering'

While hard tail sounds logical I don't trust the older components on mine <= no jinx

Less camping gear = more room / weight for beer

We can suss this out next (!) Thur/Fri but I'll skip the stove and will try to pack "small"

2 man tent/sleeping bag/camp chair/clothes
1 large (food) cooler with block ice for the duration and open space for someone else's food...
12 pack soft (beer) cooler which they will replenish daily with ice

Food
I like beer!
I think Earl & I will have our 575s so Yeti gathering will be happening!
I will be bringing you all homemade banana pecan bread (mini loaves) for breakfast...on the trail pick me up...whatever.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Shopping started. So far 1 North Face Stormbreak 2 man tent, 1 Kelty down mummy pack rated to 40 degrees, 1 Termarest 1.5" self inflating Trail Lite pad, new bibs and shorts so no one will have to see the bibs... and an extra bladder. I'm not going to bring a camp stove of coffee makers. Instant Starbucks will be fine and easier to pack.

I also found a NOS Yak Pak for $49.00, its bright yellow and comes with its own flag. If I can't fit it in the Yak Pak its not coming. :)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So... do we have a full van or should I ask the girl from Zimbabwe I rode bikes with last night if she wants to come along? :brows:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I think we're full, presuming JohnE and SM.
I'm 100% in, bankable even.

I just found this on the interwebs: http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/packlist-enduro-bikepacking-gear-list/

I am concerned about enduro sporks, I was just going to grab a spoon from the kitchen but I think its stainless, the one recommended is titanium...

I bought a couple of shirts today from a guy who rode the trail last year on a single speed hard tail, he said there were only a few aggressive climbs, I have not made up my mind for certain but I am still thinking hardtail because mine weighs 21 pounds. I dropped it off at the shop to have every nut, bolt and zip-tie gone over, also bleed the brakes and tension the spokes. I'll have it back on Friday.

I'll ride the Giggle Pig this weekend before making the final decision.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
We leave home in 1 week for the ride...$hit just got real!

Thinking about food for the masses...

1. Breakfast - whatcha like to eat?
2. Lunch - on the trail so I'm thinking pb&j (or some butter variation)
3. Dinner - whatcha like to eat?

I'm personally a salt fiend when riding so salt potatoes are a favorite of ours to go with grilled meat or pasta (tortellini with or without sausages), etc. And chips & salsa and/or guacamole or pita & hummus are delicious with beer while dinner is cooking ☺

I will bring along a 2 burner Coleman stove, propane and a coffee pot as well as a couple of cast iron fry land and a Dutch oven (heavy, yes but hands down the best way to camp cook).

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Do I need to get paper goods (cups, plates, bowls, silverware) or do you all have a mess kit or similar?
Those nimrods better have their own goddam mess kits.
and BEER to share...

Since TreeSaw is doing most of the heavy lifting re: food (I will assist via fresh produce from BZN Costco) everyone should bring their own plate/bowl/utensils/BEER mug

I will bring a 7 gallon water container, so doing dishes should be chill.

It's close enough that I've been eye-ing the weather: mostly dry, but 50% showers on Fri (was 10% yesterday) and highs of 80 sound nice for less anxiety re: water schlepping

I am curious if any of our non-shuttle (local?) folks who are driving / meeting us point to point could cache water at drop boxes en route??

+++++

Weather.com for Medora:
THU
AUG 25
Mostly Sunny
75° 45° 0% NE 10 mph 51% 6 of 10 6:37 am 8:13 pm 12:13 am 3:05 pm

FRI
AUG 26
Showers
77° 47° 50% NNE 7 mph 51% 6 of 10 6:38 am 8:11 pm 1:00 am 4:07 pm

SAT
AUG 27
Sunny
81° 47° 0% WNW 8 mph 39% 6 of 10 6:39 am 8:10 pm 1:52 am 5:04 pm

SUN
AUG 28
Mostly Sunny
80° 47° 0% WNW 7 mph 37% 6 of 10 6:40 am 8:08 pm 2:49 am 5:53 pm

MON
AUG 29
Sunny
80° 47° 0% NW 8 mph 38% 6 of 10 6:42 am

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I thought that our shuttle service would be moving a trailer from camp to camp with all our shit on it? I was planning on supplying gallons of distilled water for drinking. As for food, make a list and I will buy otherwise I'm eating granola the entire time. And jerky, loves me some jerky.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
whatcha like to eat?
I like food, I like to eat food. So I'll bring some food, unless you're bring some that I can eat in which case I'll bring some more food that I can also eat. Mmmm... calories. Seriously, I suggest bringing more food than you think you need. In fact, double what you think you need to bring for yourself, then add 15% after doubling it again.

I will bring along a 2 burner Coleman stove, propane and a coffee pot as well as a couple of cast iron fry land and a Dutch oven (heavy, yes but hands down the best way to camp cook).
I'll be packing 1 or 2 press pots and maybe a percolator (just found one a sweet one at a thrift store) for coffee. And I've recently become a total damn nerd for "antique" Coleman 2-burner stoves...no propane for this guy, just straight up white gas. Just picked up this one in a thrift store for $8.99, near as I can tell it's about 60 years old. Coleman 413E, super clean, just need to knock some cobwebs off and test it. I love the way these old stoves cook.

...or do you all have a mess kit or similar?
I'm bringing my camp box which has a "mess kit" of sorts so I think I'm set? But if I end up eating from a paper bowl or plate I'll make sure I burn it proper.

Those nimrods better have their own goddam mess kits.
Fuck you. You wanna know why?

and BEER to share...
I am down to share some beers. I can bring anything you've heard of that I can get in Colorado, plus some stuff you ain't heard of. I'm hoping for /wanting for some east coast deliciousness I haven't had: Heady Topper, Hillfarmstead Edward and Saison, and Fiddlehead. As for beers I can bring, tell me what you want what you really really want and I'll do my best to get it.

I thought that our shuttle service would be moving a trailer from camp to camp with all our shit on it?
Yes, that's the plan. But we still have to fill that trailer with all our shit. Wait... what was the question again? Was the answer "ride the Giggle Pig" ?

I think we're full, presuming JohnE and SM.
Okay all joking aside and to be serious my friend Bobby is super interested, if there's a spot. I have adventured with him on several (many) occasions. If there's room, I will put the screws to him to commit. Let me know.

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
@Full Trucker in❤ Those stoves too!!!! I have the same style but mine takes propane. I'd love to have you make the coffee for me so I won't need to bring a pot

I am very well versed in feeding the masses (grew up in a large family with big waters and I do Monkeyfest every year).

I am happy to organize meals for the masses and have everyone chip in. I think t makes sense in minimizing the amount of gear we need to haul. @Montana rider is going to help divide and conquer by grabbing fresh produce etc from Costco en route so I was looking to a list together.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
If my bike arrives in a rideabru shape, it is going to be a small miracle. Those cases were not designed with wide-ish rear axle spacing and wide rims in mind. :panic: I can only imagine what a nightmare the 29'er Switchblade with a 150 rear hub must be to pack.

My tent has been ordered two weeks ago and it is still a no show. I won't be able to haul much stuff on the plane but I am hoping for a trip to a grocery store / brewery on my way from Bismarck to Medora. Just tell me what to bring, please. :monkey:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
We're going to be in a van; I'm presuming a trailer to haul bikes. Bear in mind that we can't all bring a ton of gear. Presume about a duffel bag's worth including tent and sleeping bag.
I wasn't referencing camp water earlier, but rather how many ounces of H2O to carry on the ride.

I would normally bring an inline filter (Sawyer) for a 30 mile ride, but clean sources of water are apparently iffy based on an old trail guide I bought (https://www.amazon.com/Theodore-Roosevelt-National-Dakota-Grasslands/dp/1555663583) so some through hikers drop water off for themselves at water "boxes" along the way.

But to your point bottled BEER is heavy.

Via their website @ 9 people, we're around 200 lbs per person which is why I suspect we'll triage some of the group-related equipment on Friday.

>>>>>
The "Works" Shuttle

Our most popular shuttle service for those looking to do the whole Maah Daah Hey Trail! This is a self guided gear shuttle - here's how it works: We move your camping equipment, coolers, etc from camp to camp each day for 4 days in our DC trailer. You get a key and so do we, so we can ice down the coolers, resupply drinking waterand pack out the trash. You and your group get to ride point-to-point with just your day pack!

• 10 rider cap for 1 trailer with a weight limit of 1800 pounds - pack light! Our enclosed trailer dimensions are 6'x6'x10'.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
We're going to be in a van; I'm presuming a trailer to haul bikes. Bear in mind that we can't all bring a ton of gear. Presume about a duffel bag's worth including tent and sleeping bag.
Duly noted. I'm bringing all my stuff as I'm gonna camp on the way there, and I have space to bring it. I don't anticipate bringing everything I own in the shuttle though.

...we'll triage some of the group-related equipment on Friday.
This is what I was thinking as well.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fvck. Looks like outsideoutfitters.com turner into a bunch of scammers and the tent I ordered 2 weeks ago is never going to arrive. Anyone seen / tried to survive in a $20 one person tent from Walmart? :think:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have a Topeak Bike Camper that has never been used. You have have it for free if you think it would be useful, save 20 bucks on something you don't want.

Also have a used one thats kind of stinky that I could let go for $20.00.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Tent/Bikamper
Thank you! Interesting concept but my denturo bike has a through axle fork which does not seem to be working with the anchor. I can blow 20 bucks on an inexpensive portable bong shed, hell we'll likely blow waaay more on beer, no? :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Thank you! Interesting concept but my denturo bike has a through axle fork which does not seem to be working with the anchor. I can blow 20 bucks on an inexpensive portable bong shed, hell we'll likely blow waaay more on beer, no? :D
Just trying to save you a trip to wally world... I'll bring it anyway, someone will know someone who has a use for it. :)

It has a tendency to collect condensation and I'm not one for airing out tents once I'm back to the burbs, I still have no idea why I thought I needed 2.

If my bike arrives in a rideabru shape, it is going to be a small miracle. Those cases were not designed with wide-ish rear axle spacing and wide rims in mind. :panic: I can only imagine what a nightmare the 29'er Switchblade with a 150 rear hub must be to pack.

My tent has been ordered two weeks ago and it is still a no show. I won't be able to haul much stuff on the plane but I am hoping for a trip to a grocery store / brewery on my way from Bismarck to Medora. Just tell me what to bring, please. :monkey:

I will be rocking a four person tent and I don't give a shit if you snore.