Quantcast

MAC guys, Cinema Monitors? Opinions

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey to all you mac guys on the board, I am thinking about getting a mac cinema monitor...Not sure if i am going to go with the 20" or the 23" dont know if i can justify the cost increase for the 3"s something like 700 bucks. What do you guys think of the old/new ones? Are the worth the flow, and does anyone know of any deals on them?

thanks

-Bill

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
I have a 20 inch at work. Its pretty nice, and I like the clean design. That said, I've heard great things about the dell monitors, which are cheaper and have higher resolution, and are brighter. There is a pretty good review:

http://www.barefeats.com/lcd.html

I don't use my apple cinema as a main monitor or for colorwork - only as a second monitore. But if I stick a movie in, I'll watch it on that instead of my main monitor, because it looks really nice, and I love the widescreen format.

that's my 2 cents worth - the review of it answers pretty much everything else

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
yea the apple definitely looks sexier on my desk... it actually even looks better in person.

if you dcan swing the price difference, I'd get the 23 inch, because its tru HD resolution. its actually quite a bit more realestate, even though it physically isn't that much bigger. the 30 inch on the otherhand...

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
I work on a Apple 23HD display. We also have a couple of other 23" and some 20's inhouse. We've found the Apples to be less "troublesome" over other comparable displays...and they appear to be having a longer cycle life..(we haven't had to replace/retire one yet).

We do photo retouching, animation and 3D on them and they work great. You would not be dissappointed with that purchase. No need for the 23 if you can do your work on a 20....Our applications are very palette intensive so the we bit of extra workspace helps.

-Sput

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I do alot of photo editings and web design (image ready, photoshop, and dreamweaver) I need room for a RM window too! Right now im working on a 17 going insane

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I used to work with a 23", the older ones. It was alright, better than I expected but I preferred my CRT at home. I hear the new ones are less reliable than the older ones. It definitely depends on what you are going to do on it. I do retouching.

We have a sick one we are proto - ing right now at the place I am freelancing. I forgot the name, but it's sick. The only problem is that the native res is so high that palettes appear much smaller than many are accustomed to working with. It goes for something like $6000 or will when it becomes available to the general public. Wish I could remember the manufacturers name..

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
spincrazy said:
I used to work with a 23", the older ones. It was alright, better than I expected but I preferred my CRT at home. I hear the new ones are less reliable than the older ones. It definitely depends on what you are going to do on it. I do retouching.

We have a sick one we are proto - ing right now at the place I am freelancing. I forgot the name, but it's sick. The only problem is that the native res is so high that palettes appear much smaller than many are accustomed to working with. It goes for something like $6000 or will when it becomes available to the general public. Wish I could remember the manufacturers name..
ant are you still at nucleus? thought you'd take a full time by now.
that monitor isn't a barco is it?
did you hear the artisans are NO MORE. Which means when I buy a new monitor I'll HAVE to make the switch to LCD.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i used a 20" at school, and to be honest...wasn't a big fan. perhaps it was in their setup, or something, but i much preferred my 19" Dell lcd. when looking at/ working with photos, i prefer my girlfriend's CRT.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
MtnBikerNJ said:
ant are you still at nucleus? thought you'd take a full time by now.
that monitor isn't a barco is it?
did you hear the artisans are NO MORE. Which means when I buy a new monitor I'll HAVE to make the switch to LCD.
Yup, still freelancing my ass off. Just got a new Kenneth Cole thing today too from another company. ****'s flowing.

The monitor here is an Eizo. SUPER NICE! 1920 x 1200 native res. I'm actually impressed for once. Yeah, you and your slightly annoying friend told me about the artisans. I really liked the older barcos. NECs at Nucleus mostly. My Lacie I like mo betta. Look into that Eizo company. Price is initially pretty high, but you can write it off mr chelsea office space... :)

I hear stay away from the new Apple Cinemas.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
My reccomendation is to go with 2 19" LCD's. I use Viewsonic VP191B's exclusively. I have one on my home PC, then at work I use a G5 2.5 GHz DP with 3. They are great, very fast response times, can be had for as little as $425 each now i think.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
What does everyone think about getting one of the old school 23's, apple that is...Off Ebay? I am a bit weary of buying something like that, due to eventual burnout :confused:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
manhattanprjkt83 said:
What does everyone think about getting one of the old school 23's, apple that is...Off Ebay? I am a bit weary of buying something like that, due to eventual burnout :confused:
Only if it was mad cheap..

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just FYI, I've heard repeatedly that those Cinema monitors are the same LCD panel as the Dell UltraSharp panels.

The Dell's are cheaper.

You make the decision :D

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
spincrazy said:
Yup, still freelancing my ass off. Just got a new Kenneth Cole thing today too from another company. ****'s flowing.

The monitor here is an Eizo. SUPER NICE! 1920 x 1200 native res. I'm actually impressed for once. Yeah, you and your slightly annoying friend told me about the artisans. I really liked the older barcos. NECs at Nucleus mostly. My Lacie I like mo betta. Look into that Eizo company. Price is initially pretty high, but you can write it off mr chelsea office space... :)

I hear stay away from the new Apple Cinemas.
Which annoying friend was that? from the poker night?

jake demo'd some of theose eizo monitors. $2500 is pretty steep for what it is, but it has the full adobe98 gamut right?

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Transcend said:
the 30" HD displays are super nice, but holy crap - expensive. They are the nicest LCDs out there, and the only ones i woudl consider for doing graphics work on.

yeah, we flight tested one of these and had to replace it with a couple of 20's.....we do a lot of 3-D compositing and the special graphics card for the 30HD would crap out pushing that much realestate and hang up the machine....it was doing the same basic thing in photoshop CS also.....they do however look hellasweet...

-sput

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SPUTNECK said:
I tried to get my company to buy one of these a few years back...they are super sick..they are like $25,000.00 or something stupid back then, not sure of the cost now...

http://www.panoramtech.com/products/pv230.html

i saw one in action and they look like they would be hellasweet for colin mcrae 05
You are out of control, take some time to sit down and breath. The card for the 30" really couldnt handle it?

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
yeah, on the 30 it was having trouble. We use Lightwave and Zaxwerks 3D Invigerator for After Effects and it was just too much information to render out in HD(1920x1080) for broadcast. The cards handle the 23HD perfectly doing the same applications. We work a lot with the braodcast team at apple and they are trying to sort it out as well as some other things. They should have introduced a new card a few weeks ago at the N.A.B. conference, but I haven't heard anything yet from them.

We still like the 30's and would like to use a couple for set pieces(oh yeah, I'm a Design Director for TV station)..thats why we have all this gear.

-sput

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Now pardon my ignorance, but can the dell 24" will run with a mac or PC correct, they are just different wiring interfaces...:confused:
Yup. and the other way around. We have some folks who bought Apple screens for their PCs so they can casually look like they've switched without having to learn OS X. :eek:

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
I LOVE my 23" apple monitor at work. There is just so much dam room. Those extra few inches make a real difference. The color is pretty good, but not quite like my old CRT.

I'm shopping around to get one for my home system now. May get an apple, may get something else. Price is more of a concern when I'm paying the tab.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
MtnBikerNJ said:
Which annoying friend was that? from the poker night?

jake demo'd some of theose eizo monitors. $2500 is pretty steep for what it is, but it has the full adobe98 gamut right?
Jake. Yes.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
The older Cinemas were/are pretty nice, but require more frequent calibration and don't last all that long. The shadows are the first to go - you end up with heavy, black color casted areas that aren't really in the file.