Quantcast

Mac Heads: Firefox or Safari

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I've come to the debate that many have had. Which one? I've been using safari for a long time but every now and then find myself having to open internet explorer due to pages not working. Any opinions? Toshi i know you have one.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I've gotten used to Safari so it's all I use. I don't have any problems, except when multiple pages with big contents open at the same time in different tabs it crashes on me. I have a 800mhz iBook G4, so it might be that my computer isn't up to par. On my dad's iMac G5 it works great.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I use safari, but have also had problems opening pages with it. In fact, on RM I constantly have to click the refresh button if I open a pic/page, etc. I keep IE ready for the times when safari lets me down.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Firefox is the ****! Safari has its merits but I find that it has problems with some pages that are a breeze for Firefox. Agreed, it is a tad slower. The tabbed browsing is clutch. After getting used to having it, I can't imagine living without it (much like expose). I also like the "on the fly" font size adjustment in Firefox. I am not sure if Safari has the same feature.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I agree with those above....to a degree. Check out Camino. It is basically Firefox but optimized for a mac. It was around before there was a mac version of Firefox. It has the same features like tabbed browsing, and is visibly faster (why I use it). I would say that it is at least as fast as Safari if not faster.

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i use safari for most everything, firefox for my second gmail account, camino when i feel bored, and netscape when doing the dreaded fafsa.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I use Safari, can't stand Firefox (just doesn't fly with me), and I am moving towards using Shiira as my main browser, which is a lot like Safari but seems much more responsive and stable.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Safari here. I haven't had the need to use a second browser in ... months (seems like years). Thinking back, I had tried Camino before Safari or even Firefox, but a friend had given me OmniWeb and it seemed to work the best. What a steaming pile that was!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Safari, is faster, more tightly integrated with the OS, less "clunky", and if it matters, I think it looks better. And yes, it too has tabs. Also, one of my main reasons for sticking with Safari is the built in RSS reader in v2. What are these sites that you can't load in Safari? I've never had that problem.

I use Firefox for testing, and for it's extensions, which are great. But I find it less responsive than Safari, and slower to open (not that I ever close my browser). It is however my browser of choice on PC.

Camino is the next big thing for Mac users. Right now, it's still in beta, so there are a few bugs here and there, which is why I haven't fully transistioned over to it. Once they're worked out I think it'll be my browser of choice. It's a very "slim" app, so it does everything fast, especially page rendering. It's got a great download manager, and a ton of nice little user interaction features. Watch out for the release of v1.0!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ridemonkey said:
Safari, is faster, more tightly integrated with the OS, less "clunky", and if it matters, I think it looks better. And yes, it too has tabs. Also, one of my main reasons for sticking with Safari is the built in RSS reader in v2. What are these sites that you can't load in Safari? I've never had that problem.
:stupid:

I've never had a page not work. Post a link?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Both. I use safari by default, but I have FF too. Actually I'm currently using FF right at the moment. I like them equally but have different likes dislikes about both.

I like how I havent gotten any errors yet, with FF, but I like how Safari is integrated so nicely and looks so clean and professional its hard to choose FF over it.

As for the tabbed browsing... they both have it. Its comical when people say "I like FF because the tabbed browsing is the bomb" :rolleyes: The only difference is that tabbed browsing is turned on by default on FF and in safari you have to go into preferences to turn it on. Safari tabs are actually superior because you can close a tab down without actually having to have the page displayed (i.e. each tab has its own close button).

I will likely keep using Safari as my default browser because it is part of my OS. I'm sure they will iron out the few compatability issues.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Ridemonkey said:
Safari, is faster, more tightly integrated with the OS, less "clunky", and if it matters, I think it looks better. And yes, it too has tabs. Also, one of my main reasons for sticking with Safari is the built in RSS reader in v2.
gecko, i found that the safari rss reader fails when updating and sorting a large number of articles via the "view all feeds in bookmarks menu" choice (i subscribe to something on the order of 50 feeds). i switched to netnewswire recently, and the experience is much better:

http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/

will i pay for it when the 30 day demo runs out? quite possibly yes...

other shareware i have gladly paid for:

synergy: http://wincent.com/a/products/synergy-classic/
launchbar (altho quicksilver does much the same nowadays): http://www.obdev.at/index.html , http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/
default folder x: http://www.stclairsw.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html
usb overdrive: www.usboverdrive.com

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I decided after using firefox for about 2 hours that i'm staying with safari. I'll just keep firefox around for the odd site that doesn't load right. I can't think of any off the top of my head but about every 2-4 weeks i'll have a important site i need to access that won't load for some odd reason. Safari is a lot better looking and it feels cleaner after trying firefox.