Quantcast

Mac Help.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I am trying to view .wmv files but I need Windows media player to do so. I have downloaded windows media player for mac osx but I don't know what to open it with, I was told to use Stuffit Expander but I can't find it in my applications folder, where else would it be?

Thanks, Dan

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
OK, I downloaded Stuffit, now should I download the windows media player or the plug in five suggested? Sorry I am new to Mac's.
Dan

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
rockymt21 said:
OK, I downloaded Stuffit, now should I download the windows media player or the plug in five suggested? Sorry I am new to Mac's.
Dan
Sounds like you'll need to eventually, but you can just unstuff the media player now and watch jerky video that takes 3 seconds to pause and is impossible to scan through...

Quicktime rules.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
just download VLC media player. Plays virtually any file you throw at it.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
stinkyboy said:
Sounds like you'll need to eventually, but you can just unstuff the media player now and watch jerky video that takes 3 seconds to pause and is impossible to scan through...

Quicktime rules.
Yes, it does.

Apparently half the people posting vids don't catch on! :mumble:

Thanks guys, Dan

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
rockymt21 said:
Or they've caught on but are unwilling to output in another, inferior, format just to appease the 2% market share folks...

J

JRB

justsomeguy said:
Or they've caught on but are unwilling to output in another, inferior, format just to appease the 2% market share folks...
:stupid:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
rockymt21 said:
Yes, it does.

Thanks guys, Dan

Use the flip plugin for non-protected content (no DRM). Otherwise you need the MS player/plugin.

WMV files are pausable, seekable, etc - just need better software thats all. WMV is just another type of mpeg 4 video container format (MS's version obviously). The audio portion usually uses wma which offers better sound at lower bit-rates (making WMV more ideal for download and streaming). The files are smaller than the same content encoded with quicktime using mpeg4. Its disadvantage is its a more closed proprietary format.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
rockymt21 said:
I am trying to view .wmv files but I need Windows media player to do so. I have downloaded windows media player for mac osx but I don't know what to open it with, I was told to use Stuffit Expander but I can't find it in my applications folder, where else would it be?

Thanks, Dan

It should be in the system folder under utilitys. :)