Quantcast

Mac issue...help, please

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Any Mac gurus out there willing to share some advice? It'd be much appreciated.

Last night, my iBook was acting up...it was not allowing me to install Yahoo Messenger (an error message with a library-something error would pop up) and it decided to not accept the Flash plug-in for any web page, popping up a window to tell me so for nearly every page I visited. I tried ending around the Yahoo issue by installing Fire IM, but it wouldn't work with Yahoo, either...only MSN and AIM. Yahoo just wouldn't connect.

Visited the help menus, which directed me to re-install the OS with the option to preserve my files and user ID. I did so, and it was working just fine this morning. No more error messages with Flash, although Yahoo was still a no-go, which I could live with.

Now, I was using the book this afternoon, and I had the wierdest thing happen...felt like I had a static charge on my finger when I touched the mousepad, then the whole comp froze up. After trying the quit-applications key combo, I had to just shut down with the power key. It restarted, and I got the grey apple screen, then the "starting OS X" bar window, which reached about halfway before the screen went to a blank blue-grey with the mouse pointer, but nothing else. Mouse pointer moved with the touchpad, and I could insert and eject CDs, but it was just frozen there.

Tried various things, putting in the boot disk and running the disk first aid, which yielded no errors, then restarting the system with the disk in several times, but in the end, I always got the same frozen grey screen instead of my desktop.

I decided to re-install again, archiving my files and settings. It just finished the install, but it's still starting up to just the same grey screen.

Any ideas? Thanks.

MD

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Call apple. Sounds like a pretty serious hardware issue if you have already reinstalled. Maybe ram related by the sounds of it...as soon as it pages a certain section of the ram it dies.

I take it the install went just fine?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, call apple or visit the genius bar at a local apple store, if you have one.

www.apple.com/retail <- find stores + make genius bar reservation before leaving home

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Toshi said:
yeah, call apple or visit the genius bar at a local apple store, if you have one.

www.apple.com/retail <- find stores + make genius bar reservation before leaving home
Thanks for the help.
I'll carry it on in to the local store and see if anyone will help me in person.

Edit: I might have fixed it myself! hooraaaaaaaaay.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Transcend said:
Sweet, what was it?
Dunno. Just restarted it in safe mode, and suddenly it worked. Didn't even know there was a safe mode for Apples; the Help screens hadn't mentioned it. But from Toshi's link, I went to Apple support FAQs, and there was a lot of info there.

MD