Quantcast

Mac Mini!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
And it stil doesn't run Mac OS X.
I'm going to put this whole thing to rest right here:

Mac OSX is the best operating system.

Windows XP and Vista are the best too. Way better in fact.

However, OSX is much better as an OS to run on a computer if you want to do things on the computer.

Windows XP and/or Vista are the better choice here for doing things as well.

There, that settles it.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA

However, OSX is much better as an OS to run on a computer if you want to do things on the computer.

There, that settles it.

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was the best ever, except for OS/2 2.0, and.........

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
486DX2 66 4 teh WIN!
I had 8mb of RAM, my dad bought a "multimedia kit" for it one fine day in 1992...inside was a 1x CD-ROM drive, SB ripoff card, speakers, and the Journeyman Project. All to go with the 1mb Trident VGA card. Good stuff.

It had a Bernoulli drive at one point. Mmmm. Bernoulli.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I had 8mb of RAM, my dad bought a "multimedia kit" for it one fine day in 1992...inside was a 1x CD-ROM drive, SB ripoff card, speakers, and the Journeyman Project. All to go with the 1mb Trident VGA card. Good stuff.

It had a Bernoulli drive at one point. Mmmm. Bernoulli.
holy crap!, i didnt have a sound card until 1994-95... before then, it was all finely done with the cpu speaker.

then, another great day, at age 10, i figured.. "the speaker rocks the racing games!!, but they are too quiet!", so i popped the cpu open and noticed there were 2 wires coming from the speakers to the motherboard... then i remembered.. "there are two wires coming from the speakers in my room too!". so i got a set of pliers and masking tape, and rigged a bigger 10" speaker from the stereo in my room to the 2 cables. the booting beep was loud!, and oh! the monophonic sound of the engine roar at 70db!!
it took me a few more years to figure out variable resistances.

another time, age 10 or 11, dont remember.... i wanted a cd-rom drive (i got this pretty awesome magazine with a "nascar racing demo" cd... but i didnt have a cdrom!!!). i asked my mom, and she said "what, 300 bucks???? (they were that expensive in peru back then). hell no!, get good grades and wait until the summer, we´ll get one in miami". i couldnt wait until summer!!!!!!!. it was over 6 months away!
necesity is the matter of ingenuity, so i had to engineer my way around that.

there was a stereo in the living room with a 5cd roullete. i thought "hey!, if the stereo speakers had 2 wires, just like the computer speaker... then the same must hold true for cdroms!!!". i was ambitious... i knew a single cdrom like the one in my room wouldnt cut it. i HAD to have the bestest!. it HAD to be the living room´s.
unfortunately, it didnt work quite as well. it actually intrigued me for days the cd player didnt have an ide ribbon.
tried to figure out an interface, but the number of cables wasnt the same! that broke my will. had they been the same number, i´d have probably been willing to do combinatorial of 40! ide pins.

surprisingly, the living room stereo actually worked after that...

yeah, i´m ghetto like that.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Damn...

Hey Reactor, nothing comes close to Photoshop. I let ya demo it, but to activate longer than a few days, you have to let Adobe see your machine online. :(

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Damn...

Hey Reactor, nothing comes close to Photoshop. I let ya demo it, but to activate longer than a few days, you have to let Adobe see your machine online. :(
GIMP is probably the best free option out there.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
GIMP is probably the best free option out there.
I think that's for Windoze only.

I could transfer my Photoshop 8 over to ya Reactor. I think it will work fine on the Intel machines, but dude at the Apple stores sez the older software won't run as zippy as the software to come.

What's your opinon of Front Row so far?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
:imstupid:

Hey, when ya gonna print me some black on tan pillow cases?
When we find a decent source in the US that makes 100% cotton in colors that is a reliable vendor. Our current vendor offers only white.

:rant:

I think we're going to make our own in-house eventually. Textiles are dead in the US.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Thats what I did with the gx620 yesterday. Unboxed, pulled old system out, plugged everything in - on the Internet (other than setting up his VPN connection and outlook which takes less than 5 minutes too). All for less than $500.
Aren't you an I.T. guy? Should not take more than that on any computer:happydance:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL

There, that settles it.
Settles nothing dude...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I think that's for Windoze only.

I could transfer my Photoshop 8 over to ya Reactor. I think it will work fine on the Intel machines, but dude at the Apple stores sez the older software won't run as zippy as the software to come.

What's your opinon of Front Row so far?
So far I'm liking the whole thing. The remote is cool for when I have to use the windows computer and want to listen to I tunes while I progam.

Which flavor of photoshop do you have? I might consider buying one of the versions of photooshop (possibly the lower edition of CS)

I hadn't thought of GIMP, but it works pretty good on Linux.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I hadn't thought of GIMP, but it works pretty good on Linux.
Between GIMP, Inkscape and PDFCreator, you can do alot for free. The UI is not as slick as Adobe stuff but the basics are there.