Quantcast

Mac Monkees, opinions needed, please.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have a $1500 budget for a new computer & I have pretty much decided on a Mac. I have narrowed it down between the new I-mac & a Powerbook. I am having a VERY hard time deciding on which one to get.

Here are my intended uses.
-Internet & e-mail
-photo editting (PS & illustrator) nothing hardcore just for fun.
-some video editting (i would like to use Final Cut)
-also some music produciton stuff (reason & sounforge mostly)

I am not much of gamer (if that helps). I would love a laptop. I could goof off at work with it, take it on trips, & the wireless internet thing is VERY cool to me, BUT i dont want anyhting that is going to be sloooow for what I intend to use it for.

Here are the specs of the two I am looking at.....

POWERBOOK G4
$1,599.00
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
1.33GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/100
NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go5200 (64MB DDR)
Full size keyboard
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme built-in
Mini-DVI out
Discounted from $1,799 retail price

I-mac
17-inch widescreen LCD
1.8GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
600MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
80GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive
Discounted from $1,499 retail price

How much of a performance difference would I notice between the 2?
I have been using hand-me-down PC's for the last couple of years & I know both of theese machines would blow my sox off, which is why I am having a hard time deciding. I dont want to get the Powerbook & wish I had the I-mac & vice versa.

Thanks in advance Mac Monkees!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not a mac guy, but I'll tell you right away that the speed difference between a laptop and a desktop is noticable & significant even given the same speed processer and similar specs. Not to mention that in this case you're getting a 25% slower machine for $200 more.

My experience is that laptops are appealing but not worth it. Unless you travel a lot, a laptop is slower, more expensive, more fragile, and harder to upgrade. The screens aren't nearly as good either. For the recreational user, all of that adds up to a lot of money spent for not as much performance.

That said, I have a laptop and love the wireless internet. The laptop was given to me, though, so it wasn't what I would have bought. I do a lot of digital photography as well, so the portability of the laptop is very useful - I'm not sure I would have gone to a fully digital camera setup (might have just bought a little pocket digital) if I hadn't had the laptop.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
If you don't NEED the laptop, then don't. The I-mac has more power, costs less and has a larger screen (which you will really appreciate when editing pics or vids).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
The new iMac looks like a real workhorse. If I had to get a new computer right now Id get an iMac. The G5 processor in that thing will run anything you want and I think it holds up to a gig of ram so you wont have any problems there. The powerbook is a really cool piece of technology but I wouldnt buy one right now... The new iMac would flat out smoke it, plus soon the G5 powerbook will be out rendering the G4 pretty much obsolete.

- JB

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
3 votes for the i-mac. 'K. I am liking the i-mac too.
I was also looking at PC's too (but I am sure I want a MAC) & the processors are like 3 gigs but an i-mac is 1.8....is it still just as fast? faster? (i know very little about macs)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The Powerbook G4 is a solid machine - but unfortunately you won't get the one you need for 1500. You would want to bump up the RAM quite a bit for photo and video editing. The 12 inch version is nice, but again the small screen isnt ideal for what you would be doing with it. The laptop you need would probably be over 2k. Although I think macwarehouse has a sale on certain 15 inch models.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Tenchiro said:
Wow, you only get 256mb of RAM and a low end 64MB video card for that price?
yeah, if i get the i-mac, i would have a little extra cheese for upgrades.
speaking of which, is a mac easy to upgrade?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
TN said:
Well when I worked for Apple, every upgrade was proprietary and had to be done by an Apple Authorized Reseller. Usually at great expense. You could get RAM from 3rd party sources but if it caused a problem Apple would void your warranty.

This was a few years ago though, so that may have changed. But that iMac is a pretty wild design, and like a laptop is probably not very friendy on the inside. If there is not an obvious srew-open cover somewhere for it, you may have a hard time doing it yourself.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
TN said:
It's funny because I was choosing between these two computers just last week for a new work computer. I decided on the new imac (the middle priced one). I also want to use it for video editing and photoshop stuff so the larger screen was a bonus. It's also faster, and from what I hear, easier to get into to work on. I've used the 12in ibook laptop for travel and it is not fun to work with that itty bitty screen. The imac should be much faster and usable for what you want to do. As far as upgrading, if you have the cash to do a couple things (like more ram, ect) you can order it with these things and have them done before it even ships. This should get you through the warranty period, after that you can work on it your self. It's not hard, We do upgrades on our own macs here at wor all the timek, after the warranty period ends ( 1 year I think??). Anyways, let me know how you like your machine. And have fun!!

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
My new iMAC is in the mail as I type. I went with the same one you've listed, but bumped the memory to 512. I was also thinking laptop at the time, but decided against it. When I go on a trip, most places I'd be going I'd have access to a pc of some sorts, so I don't have to drag around another peice of luggage. As said above, your getting a better machine for less $$$.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tenchiro said:
Well when I worked for Apple, every upgrade was proprietary and had to be done by an Apple Authorized Reseller. Usually at great expense. You could get RAM from 3rd party sources but if it caused a problem Apple would void your warranty.

This was a few years ago though, so that may have changed. But that iMac is a pretty wild design, and like a laptop is probably not very friendy on the inside. If there is not an obvious srew-open cover somewhere for it, you may have a hard time doing it yourself.
whoa whoa whoa. ram is industry standard. apple has always sold ram upgrades but only at horrendous prices, so the savvy buyer buys a configuration from apple with as little memory as possible and then snaps up some dimms on the open market cheaply. second this imac is supposed to have the best internal access of any of the designs so far, and even the gumdrop machines had a handy "hatch" on the back for access to the airport card and ram slots (and nothing else :eek: ).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Tenchiro said:

I do all the work an all 3 of my machines here at work... G5 and 2 G4s... this includes well... everything. On the Imac for hard core professional editing you will need more hard drive space (get a 60 gig fire wire drive for $250... that baby is plug and play) and you will need more ram probably and that crap is easy as hell to add, just open the box (or the monitor/box in the case of the Imac) and click trhat shizz in there.

NOTE: you probably arent going to be doing professional work so you may not need upgrades at all. Even bone stock that thing will smoke anything you have ever seen.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
thanks for all the input. it has been a great help.

another kwerchton though.....Is the apple protevtion plan worth the $$$?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
As a avid mac user i would say go with the imac. If you don't need to upgrade your video card and stuff like you would in a regular desktop computer then i would get the imac. It has more power and is such a great deal. I have a powerbook g4 but it was 3000 dollars as it is fully loaded to the max since im a digital art major. I would say the imac is the better choice for you overall.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
TN said:
Is the apple protevtion plan worth the $$$?
When I worked there, almost every newer motherboard cost around a $1000, as did any laptop display if you needed an out of warranty replacement.

Applecare is something to think about if you plan on keeping it after a year.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i used a 12" Powerbook over the summer and damn is that screen tiny. too small if you want to do photo-editing, in my opinion.

i'm now working on a 19" Dell LCD, which is hooked up to my new Dell 8400. with Paintshop Pro, and PS7. i'm a happy camper.