Quantcast

MAC users stingy with software?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
When I used Windows I never had a problem with finding borrowed/burned software from friends. Now that I use a Mac, all of my Mac friends always come up with lame excuses as to why they wont burn me 5hi7. I dont get it. why the :nope: ? ( i know you arent supposed too, but blahblahblah)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
no really, i was just gonna start a post about this, i am thinking about getting a powerbook, but there is noway in hell i am going to pay for software esp the type of stuff i need (photoshop, dreamweaver, flash) etc. Can any MAC guys chime in or even PM me with how they go about gettins software short of paying for it. You have a possible convert on ur hands so hook it up! :thumb:

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
manhattanprjkt83 said:
no really, i was just gonna start a post about this, i am thinking about getting a powerbook, but there is noway in hell i am going to pay for software esp the type of stuff i need (photoshop, dreamweaver, flash) etc. Can any MAC guys chime in or even PM me with how they go about gettins software short of paying for it. You have a possible convert on ur hands so hook it up! :thumb:

No there will be no such discussions on this site.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
no really, i was just gonna start a post about this, i am thinking about getting a powerbook, but there is noway in hell i am going to pay for software esp the type of stuff i need (photoshop, dreamweaver, flash) etc. Can any MAC guys chime in or even PM me with how they go about gettins software short of paying for it. You have a possible convert on ur hands so hook it up!
Jeez. An entire thread about pirating software.

Anyone want to start a thread about the best shoplifting techniques?

If you guys can't get out there and figure out how to do this stuff on your own with such extensive resources like Google available to you, I really, really don't know what to say. Even if you can't figure it out, websites like this are not the place to ask. Use your head.

As far as the logic of going out of the way to provide pirated software simply because you're a "potential convert" - I'm a little bit speechless.

"Dude! I'm totally a Ford guy, but the new Chevy looks sweet. I ain't paying for the aftermarket parts I want, though, and I sure as hell won't live without 'em. Hook me up with free car parts - don't you want another Chevy fan around?"

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
binary visions said:

If you guys can't get out there and figure out how to do this stuff on your own with such extensive resources like Google available to you, I really, really don't know what to say. Even if you can't figure it out, websites like this are not the place to ask. Use your head.

As far as the logic of going out of the way to provide pirated software simply because you're a "potential convert" - I'm a little bit speechless.

"Dude! I'm totally a Ford guy, but the new Chevy looks sweet. I ain't paying for the aftermarket parts I want, though, and I sure as hell won't live without 'em. Hook me up with free car parts - don't you want another Chevy fan around?"
I wasn't fishing for cracked software. :rolleyes:
I didn't intend to start a debate about ethics, its just an observation I've made.

I am NOT going to debate this. You have your thinking on the issue & I have mine & I am pretty damn sure neither one of us is going to change the other's mind. :D

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
On the Mac there's a tone of free open source software and you can run anything that run's on Unix, which is often free and there's a surprising amount. Also, one of the nice things about being a student is that I can get Office for $10 and Maple 9.5 for $75 instead of $1200. By the way, don't pirate, only scumbag lowlifes pirate and you don't want to be one. Hopefully if you do pirate the fact that you have done so will haunt you for the rest of your God forsaken life and you will die a lonely old man :nuts:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
neurostar said:
You can use GIMP instead of photoshop... I haven't used either extensively.. but... it's worth a shot.
seriously. if you need any particular KIND of software post up here and i will do my best to recommend a free/open source alternative to the big commercial packages. if you can't afford the commercial software even at edu prices you don't deserve to use it. period.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
neurostar said:
You can use GIMP instead of photoshop... I haven't used either extensively.. but... it's worth a shot.
That's what I use, plus there's a new one based off of GIMP called Seashore that just came out, same potential functionality but much quicker.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
TN said:
I wasn't fishing for cracked software. :rolleyes:
I didn't intend to start a debate about ethics, its just an observation I've made.

I am NOT going to debate this. You have your thinking on the issue & I have mine & I am pretty damn sure neither one of us is going to change the other's mind. :D
Sorry, my post wasn't directed towards you. I re-read my post and realized it was unclear: the "an entire thread..." comment was directed towards manhattanprjkt83's comment that he was going to start a thread.

I have a little pirated software and am not particularly down on those who pirate stuff (though I pay for plenty of software too, and my "pirated" stuff comes from a MSDN package I have access to), but there are appropriate and inappropriate places to discuss where to obtain it, etc. and manhatten's choice of fishing locations was inappropriate.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
MSDN rocks, I got my legal software key for windows XP for free, even though I've graduated I'm still able to use the software for non commercial purposes. I really wish I'd had some reason to use any of the other programs offered for free.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
binary visions said:

Some good points, i really didnt think discussing this on the :monkey: was such a bad idea, knowing alot of you guys run MAC. I am a very esperienced PC user (MIS degree), and i have begun to see alot of the advantages to a MAC system. I mean is it really necessary for everyone to jump down my throat about it? :confused:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Frankly the Apple stuff tends to be much easier, since so much less of it isn't coded. Just drag to install. If you can't find it you're looking in the wrong places.

Now, Apple people may not be as willing to share because the platform does tend to inspire people not to undermine something they like, as opposed to the lowest-common denominator crap that floats around the rest of the industry. :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Barbaton said:
Now, Apple people may not be as willing to share because the platform does tend to inspire people not to undermine something they like, as opposed to the lowest-common denominator crap that floats around the rest of the industry. :)

yeah and I def respect that aspect, i guess im just not in touch with the subculture as alot of guys on board...Im sure ill be able to find what i need. :thumb:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
manhattanprjkt83 said:
... I mean is it really necessary for everyone to jump down my throat about it? :confused:
YES! You're jumping ship. For years us PC users have made fun of Mac users. For many reasons too! Thier cutsie little purple "computers", their gay rainbow apple in the windows of their cars, their choice in clothes! But now you are leaving us to join the ranks of the cutsiepurplegotnosoftwarenooneinthebusinessworldwantsyourainbowstickerinthewindow clique! Of course we're going to jump on you! It's like riding downhill all your life and then suddenly announcing that you are going to buy a road bike and some spandex shorts! ACK! I can't handle this.

(just kidding by the way, lest any mac users get mad at me :D )

On a more serious note... Think of unlicensed software aquisition like Fight Club... First rule of Fight Club? You don't talk about Fight Club!

And we're not software pirates... we're software privateers . It all depands on your point of view... Take Sir Frances Drake... to the English he was a hero... to the French he was a lying pirate and a theif. See... It's all in how you look at it... Arrghh! :D