Quantcast

Macbook pro superdrive is pi$$ing me off!!!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I am trying to burn our wedding DVD for archival purposes from our master copy as well as burning copies of a MTB movie. I am using disk utility to create .dmg file which works just fine. The video is 4gb without the extra half of the entire ceremony and reception. The entire file is 7gb.
I have some blank DVD+R 4.7gb and the computer accepts the DVD in the superdrive as a blank DVD.

Problem 1- I am getting to almost the end of the burn and then it stops and tells me that I have an error burning the disc and that the operation has stopped. I can watch 3/4 of the video on a DVD player or another comp. No matter what I do I cannot get the successful burn prompt, not with this DVD or any other DVD that I am trying to burn.
Problem 2- My superdrive will NOT accept a DVD+R DL blank/unused disc. It does the whole acceptance of the disc into the slot and then the 5 minutes of superdrive symphony, stops and then auto ejects.
I am trying to use these because they are 8.5gb so they can hold the entire video plus a few bike videos. I need to use these.

My machine is a early 2008 Macbook pro 2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo running 10.4.11, (still haven't upgraded)
It has the superdrive installed and accepts all CD's and DVD's.

In my system profiler screen shot you can see that it read/writes DVD+R DL but for some reason it won't accept the DVD. I have tried 4 different brands and the the Philips DVD+R (non DL, 4.7gb) is accepted with no problems minus the no successful burn bit.
I suck at computers other than Adobe apps, internet, mail, etc. I do not get into the working part of the computer or how to fix things.
No I don't have applecare and if I need a new superdrive then I am more than happy to buy a new one until I get a new macbook pro.

Anybody have any suggestions before I go to small dog, (our apple reseller) There are no local Apple stores, the closest is in Salem, NH which is over 3 hrs away.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Completely unrelated, but DVDs are terrible for archival purposes. Even the best ones (archival quality) tend to have the dye layer degrade after 3-5 years and become unplayable.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Oh and the closest apple store to you is downtown Montreal on Ste Catherine street, about 90 mins away.
Yeah but it's Montreal and I don't think that the wife will appreciate my St Catherines tradition :biggrin:
I am using the DVD for archival purposes and for extra DVD's for the family, in conjunction with 3 of my 2TB externals. I like to back up the backup of the backup of the backup with all of my stuff, (pics, designs, work, vids, etc)
I suck at french too!

I will probably just go to small dog since I trust those guys more than the apple store "gurus" or whatever they are called.
Damn you Fraser for starting macbook pro problems:rant:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I had a similar problem with my Mini. Try burning at a slower speed first and if that doesn't work, it's prolly a bad drive.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Completely unrelated, but DVDs are terrible for archival purposes. Even the best ones (archival quality) tend to have the dye layer degrade after 3-5 years and become unplayable.
The highest end silver & gold DVDs for a buck or two apiece are pretty decent and have accelerated aging tests showing pretty significant long term storage capabilities.

That said, multiple copies are a must.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Well I got it to work but before I put a blank in I have to repair permissions on the HD every damn time. Sucks but it works for what I need to do right now.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
There are a couple of things I'd try:

1) Burn slower
2) Run a cd head cleaner
3) Try a different brand of DVDR