Quantcast

Machine Tech rear hub tool - service advice

minion

Chimp
Jan 27, 2002
Hullo everyone,
The subject says it all really. Does anyone have the tool needed to service one of these things? Or any advice [other than 'don't bother'] or even a service manual? I am willing to purchase these things if necessary.
Thanks in advance.
Jas

PS: It's a PowerClaw

First, do you have a T-30 or Powerclaw? The Powerclaws are a silent roller clutch that they had lots of trouble with, and the T-30 is the replacement that they didn't have as much trouble. If it makes noise when you coast, it's a T-30. I've got a Powerclaw on an old bike and I'm not sure how you get that blasted lockring off of it, but my lockring broke and I went ahead and pulled everything out then, and I seem to recall that a Chris King hub sevice tool may work I don't remember for sure, though. It's been 5 years since I did mine, and I used something at the bike shop that wasn't meant for it but worked. The T-30 is different and I've never seen inside one. You will probably have a very hard time getting any info on this hub, as they have been out of business a few years. The had crappy/no customer service when they were around and that most likely sped their demise.

If you have the Powerclaw, my best advice is to pull the freehub off, and clean the inside out with degreaser, like Simple Green, and lube the inside with 10W-40. That's what the origingal instructions say, and if you use grease the clutch will gum up and you will destroy it the first time it slips. You should oil it semi-frequently, and keep it clean. Thankfully, the freehub is easily removed.

If you have the T-30, sorry for all the useless info.