Quantcast

Machining a direct mount stem spacer

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Since we all know low bars are for noobs, I thought I'd post of pics of my recent project, a spacer for my 888 direct mount stem. Just made it out of 1/4 aluminum stock I ordered from McMaster. I'm a VERY noob machinist, plus lazy and impatient, so I just made it the easiest way possible. It brings my bar heigh to 43.6", and with a 14" BB height that becomes a pretty tall stack height. I'm debating if I should make another one and increase the bar height another 1/4. I'd have to get new bolts then as well.

Almost done

Done-ish

And because I know it gets you all wet, 16g

Installation in progress

Installed

Another angle

And a final angle.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I'm very confused. :confused:

That stem doesn't appear to be a direct mount? How does it mount to the plate and in turn to the top crown? And it mounts with only two bolts? The idea (your idea, not Answer's) seems great but the execution seems odd to me.... With only two bolts mounting to the top crown it seems like there would be alot of bending stress on those two mounting points when you got over your front end. Maybe I'm not seeing it, but that stem just seems like its causing you more problems than helping (hence the need for a spacer).

*edit* your last two pictures aren't showing up for me.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm very confused. :confused:

That stem doesn't appear to be a direct mount? How does it mount to the plate and in turn to the top crown? And it mounts with only two bolts? The idea (your idea, not Answer's) seems great but the execution seems odd to me.... With only two bolts mounting to the top crown it seems like there would be alot of bending stress on those two mounting points when you got over your front end. Maybe I'm not seeing it, but that stem just seems like its causing you more problems than helping (hence the need for a spacer).

*edit* your last two pictures aren't showing up for me.
thats how Marz does their direct mount stem. you can see the holes for the stem on the crown (the stem is 180* in the pic.) that looks like a Azonic stem too

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
thats how Marz does their direct mount stem.
I gotcha now... The bolt heads are on the underside of the crown and thread up into the stem. So you guys running Marz direct mounts (with only the two bolts and steerer tube pinch bolt) haven't had any issues with flex? Seems like an odd design to me...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I gotcha now... The bolt heads are on the underside of the crown and thread up into the stem. So you guys running Marz direct mounts (with only the two bolts and steerer tube pinch bolt) haven't had any issues with flex? Seems like an odd design to me...
yes, bolts heads are under the crown. ive never noticed any flex what so ever on either of the forks ive had and havent heard of anyone complain about it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Nice, did you drill out/tap the holes with the mill too (cnc setup) or do that on a drill press?
Just a 3/8 end mill bit and a 15/64 drill bit on a manual milling machine. No CNC for me, that'd be too advanced. The holes aren't tapped, the bolts just slide through.

thats how Marz does their direct mount stem. you can see the holes for the stem on the crown (the stem is 180* in the pic.) that looks like a Azonic stem too
Yep, 2 bolts, and it is an azonic stem. It's the only flashy 888 style stem I could find. Dreadfully heavy though.

Flex? Negative. Yeah its a weird design, but remember 2 bolts directly mounted onto the crown is still plenty of clamping force. Plus you can see the stem also has 2 6mm bolts clamping to the steerer like a normal stem.

Now I just need to find somewhere cheap to anodize it!

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
captainspauldin, I will make one for you, if you walk the 2 blocks and deliver beers to my apartment. :cheers:
we will find some Al scrap and mess around making it in the machine shop at my work.