Quantcast

Macworld expo: New stuff from Apple.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
syadasti said:
I think there was some noise about that for some of the early batches, but my 2005FPW does not have it. The larger LCD panels due seem more vulnerable to conformity issues. Gateway has a slightly better/newer 21" 1680x1050 panel for about $100 more.

My bad, the Cinema 20/Dell 2005 is the same panel, not the Cinema 23/Dell 2405.

Most anal PQ focused imaging pro's don't like the Cinema or Dell panel (the two photo pros I know don't use the Dell or Cinema for professional work). Spincrazy on RM is one of them and his finding seem to match this review - he thought the Eizo was one of the few LCD comparable to CRT...
Ya, I have a massive $1400 trinitron CRT for color proofing photos. I need to get rid of the other 2 monitors on my desk, so looking to switch my everyday monitor to an LCD. i cannot stand reading on a CRT anymore, it gives me a headache.

The eizos are incredible - so is their price.

edit: kick ass link.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Can't up the refresh anymore ;)

The other photo editor got the Dell 2405 for everday usage too I think. He's also on RM - MtnBikerNJ

I'd go with the Dell 2005FPW if you want to save some cash, thats what I did. I could afford to get even the 3007FPW if I waited, but I'd rather have the money for other things.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Refresh is at 100 or 120 on my crts, i just cant deal with the "unsharpness" of it. Even dead center, it's not as good as it used to be.

I need a decent response time, accurate colors and want 16x9. Eizo has no 16x9 last I checked (not that I will pay that anyways), so the Dell's may indeed be my best bet.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd prefer 12ms, good color and 16x9 - I don't think it exists.

dell has the 24" model for about $1000 right now, argh.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Transcend said:
Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd prefer 12ms, good color and 16x9 - I don't think it exists.
Circuitcity.com has the Gateway 21in FPD-2185W LCD Monitor 1680x1050, DVI, 1000:1 contrast, 8ms response time, USB2 hub, Faroudja DCDi on sale for $527.99 USD shipped free plus sales tax. Gateway normal direct price is $600 - I don't know if they ever run promo or online coupons, haven't looked in awhile...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
syadasti said:
Circuitcity.com has the Gateway 21in FPD-2185W LCD Monitor 1680x1050, DVI, 1000:1 contrast, 8ms response time, USB2 hub, Faroudja DCDi on sale for $527.99 USD shipped free plus sales tax. Gateway normal direct price is $600 - I don't know if they ever run promo or online coupons, haven't looked in awhile...
If I'm not going apple, i will go 24". Didn't want the messed up apple backlight issues, but would prefer 24" for the realestate working on web stuff. I routinely have 5-6 apps running and need the desktop space.

Text wrangler, photoshop, firefox, safari, illustrator, transmit, and then about 2 or 3 folders to drag stuff back and forth from.

Also, gateway frightens me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Transcend said:
Also, gateway frightens me.
They frighten me too, but Apple/Dell/Gateway and most others do not make their own LCD panels and thats what usually counts. I would try to find some reviews.

The Apple and Gateway 20/21 only do 16x10, so I'd look at the 24" if you really want the extra space...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
syadasti said:
The Apple and Gateway 20/21 only do 16x10, so I'd look at the 24" if you really want the extra space...
Ya, both of which are larger then the 1280x854 the 15" powerbook does. 24" would be perfect tho.

edit: I have the pre update powerbook that doesnt do 1440. ARGH. 21 days, damn you apple, DAMN YOU!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
for the record, current gen G4 and intel powerbooks do 1440x960 (or 900 in the case of the intelbook, with the height chopped due to the built in isight).

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ok, i stripped out the extra ram from my apple store order, and now the price clearly is better than the macmall offer. since i probably won't see the machine until early march anyway i guess i'll have time to come up with appropriately spec-ed extra ram one way or another. :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
ok, i stripped out the extra ram from my apple store order, and now the price clearly is better than the macmall offer. since i probably won't see the machine until early march anyway i guess i'll have time to come up with appropriately spec-ed extra ram one way or another. :D
Usually a short time after a new mac comes out users figure out which crucial memory newegg.com is selling that is equal to the crucial direct memory but at a much lower price. I got my 1 GB mac mini DIMM for cheap that way. Sometimes crucial has sales too, like right now, Macbook 1GB DIMM 117.89 with free shipping

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Transcend said:
Well it IS beta...
Yes, but by Beta 2 they won't be changing the interface (that is worse than the current one), and I doubt they will change IE7 navigation (that is also worse that the current one).

I am trying hard to stay in the Linux space at work after seeing Vista. I want no part of it if I can avoid it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
memorytogo was $113.50 shipped.
You can usually get memory cheaper from shady resellers, but then it can become a major PITA during or after the transcation - I know from extensive experience.

memorytogo has horrible reseller ratings:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller739.html

Crucial is one of the top rated memory companies on reseller ratings:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2102.html

Plus they have no restocking fees, fast shipping, and great customer service.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
syadasti said:
You've never setup a network, so you have no authority on the matter whatsoever...
I have set up Mac networks, Windows networks and NT networks for several companys.

The Mac's running through a cisco router (a 7600 series if memory serves) was by far the easiest one to set up (was only a small network though 45 or so macs). Even with the multiple external internet connections (2 ADSL, 1 ISDN, 1 wireless WIFI emergency backup) linked to all macs, it was so simple and easy to set up.
The Winblows XP net however was the biggest pain in the arse by a long way. :mumble:

Perhaps your problems with setting up a mac network is in part due to your obvious antipathy to Mac products?...... Operator mental attitude leading to operator error? :nopity: :nopity:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
DaveW said:
Perhaps your problems with setting up a mac network is in part due to your obvious antipathy to Mac products?...... Operator mental attitude leading to operator error? :nopity: :nopity:
I never said I had problems setting up either on a network (besides the ichat not playing well with the consumer grade ****ty router - but what can you expect for $150 versus a real firewall). Apple did a piss poor job with iChat as AIM, MSN Messenger, and YIM clients all work fine in most cases with consumer routers and the video/audio conferencing features and don't require so many ports if any changes are needed.

I was also implying he had no clue about IT. Setting up networks on either platform isn't very hard if you know what you are doing. I've set up networks of PCs, Redhat, Suse, BeOS, Solaris, Win9X, Win NT 4 and higher (ie NT4, 2000, XP, 2003), OS9, OSX, and some other flavors of *nix. Consumer grade Win9X was very ****ty, but OS9 was not much better and all of those OS are obsolete/not used much anymore, so the point is moot.

Most mac users aren't the type that will know a lot about IT, so most of my commentary was directed towards showing that they were not as plug and play as advertised and that average home users would not be any more apt to figure them out - my boss and his family was not able to do it on either platform, end of story.