Quantcast

mad skills

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Well, I guess they aren't really *mad* skills. More like slightly annoyed. :) But I have been practicing manualing. So now I can manual down three stairs, and go over speed bumps on my back tire. But I can't actually ride on my back tire for any extended time period. I can get the front tire up, but it usually goes right back down.

I think that I don't lean far enough back. Does anyone know how far back your butt should go? How far past the seat?

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Way back at first. Once you find the balance point its more of a feeling than a set distance.

Do you know how to ride a wheelie? Learning how to wheelie gave me the braking contral to learn how to manual with more confidence.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I get confused between wheelies and manuals. Would riding a wheelie be the same as manualing? Your front wheel up, and riding on the back?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Negative...

Wheelies are pedaling to maintain your balance while on the rear wheel. Manuals are pedaling up to speed and THEN pre-loading the bike and pulling back on the bars to COAST while on your back wheel using you rear brake and COG (Center of Gravity) to maintain balance.

Here's a few tips I can give you:

1. Get a feel for how much you have to pull up to reach your balance point…
2. Try to stay at your balance point w/o using your brakes.
3. Pump your legs and throw your weight back if your front is too low.
4. Bring your butt in (bend your knees) if you’re going off the back (the feeling of looping out, where the bike flips out from underneath you, or simply falling over backwards landing on your butt).
5. Feather the rear brake lever. (think of it as modulating the rear brake the way ABS works in a car. If you feel like you are getting to far back - even with body english correction, squeeze the brake on/off/on/off lightly to bring the front end down.

A good way to practice this standing still is to get next to a wall on your bike, and pull up into wheelie/manual position while leaning againt the wall with your shoulder. Use your brake to help stabilize yourself along with your shoulder against the wall.

Hope this helps.:)