Quantcast

made my own DH frame... check it out

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
To answer some more questions: yes I used a MIG gun welder(miller-millermatic? I think). I want to use a TIG welder on my next project, but I was scared that they are fairly difficult to use. whereas the MIG gun is point and shoot.

The bike takes square edged hits really nicely as the pivot is very high up, it makes for a slightly rear-ward axle path.

No- I can't move the pulley up anymore as the pivot is right in the way, and the chainline wouldn't work if the pulley was inside or outside of the pivot.

The shock is a 2.75" stroke shock at 3:1 giving the bike approximately 8.25" of travel.

And lastly Buell is not allowed to ride any of my bikes.

Dave, how did you come up with your design? With the pivot on the seat tube. Is that mainly for the wheel path, or is there other reasons? Its definitly different which I like. Do you think it would peadle better if you moved the shock mount to the top tube making things more linear? Kind of like the commencal.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
the design was purely for wheel path. and that part was a success, but i don't think moving the shock would help with pedaling. that would adjust shock rate(to a more falling rate-so it would start feeling stiff, then bottom out real hard.), and the pivot location is what is really hurting my pedaling right now.

Mike Buell said:
Dave, how did you come up with your design? With the pivot on the seat tube. Is that mainly for the wheel path, or is there other reasons? Its definitly different which I like. Do you think it would peadle better if you moved the shock mount to the top tube making things more linear? Kind of like the commencal.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Is the down tube up to that much force?Probably giving you another half inch of travell. I guess it would soften the bottom out. You could have had the top of the swing arm come further forward and run the shock more vertically like a Balfa.
Excellent job though,I'm just speaking my mind but you've done it,if I had a hat on I'd take it off to you.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
wow, i missed this thread david!

cool to see it done.

the bobing has to do with the height of the pivot. with the roller
below you are exstending you sus with every pedal stroke then the
leverage of height of you pivot it sags then back and forth causing
some bob you can feal. i would keep it concentric and newtral
rather than working against eachother actually causing more bob.

alex

great bike. i love the frame jig!

kohoy

Chimp
May 1, 2006
Great job man~ I like the design of the frame... wish to make one myself also but no clue how to start....hehe anyway... nice crash shot.... hehe

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
very cool...must feel good! I work on my own car and when I push it on the track I always have in the back of my mind..."did I do that right"? Congrats on a job well done.

mtb527

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
very nice!! but the head tube looks weak especially with the welds of someone new to welding... what kind of welder are you using??