Quantcast

Made myself a table...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
21,653
401
NC
Wow, that looks awesome. What kind of setup do you have? Is it mostly ad hoc (whatever you had lying around, circular saw, jigsaw, etc.), or did you go out and buy some real woodworking tools?

I've got a friend who's dad just converted half his garage into a woodworking workshop. He's got a couple really huge bandsaws, a lathe, and some other stuff.
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
48,301
2,657
In a van.... down by the river
I think my wife and I have that Persian rug at home...... :think:

Sweet table! I've got a buddy who does furniture - he made an armoire and a chest of drawers for our bedroom. It's sooooooooo much better quality than the crap you find at the stores for the price. :thumb:
 

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
947
1
Rochester, NY
binary visions said:
Wow, that looks awesome. What kind of setup do you have? Is it mostly ad hoc (whatever you had lying around, circular saw, jigsaw, etc.), or did you go out and buy some real woodworking tools?

I've got a friend who's dad just converted half his garage into a woodworking workshop. He's got a couple really huge bandsaws, a lathe, and some other stuff.
I only have a planner, a miter saw and a table saw... I actually slapped 3 saw blades together separated by washers to make my own ghetto "dado" for some of the joints.

By making this table, it blows my mind that complex furniture is still made completely with hand tools... (Amish... etc.)
 

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
947
1
Rochester, NY
If I have time this winter, I plan on making a Frank Lloyd Wright window for the room... big project though... 600+ pieces of glass...

should look a little like this:

 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
21,978
151
NY
Crashby said:
If I have time this winter, I plan on making a Frank Lloyd Wright window for the room... big project though... 600+ pieces of glass...

should look a little like this:

Why don't you have someone make it for you. I had an artist do one for me a few years back. The price wasn't bad and it didn't cost me all the extra $ to buy the equipment.
 

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
947
1
Rochester, NY
stosh said:
Why don't you have someone make it for you. I had an artist do one for me a few years back. The price wasn't bad and it didn't cost me all the extra $ to buy the equipment.
Well... making it myself is my... thing... thats the whole point. I have this strange compulsion to do everything myself.

here is the top... 5 coats hand rubbed poly followed by an auto wax polish:

 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
21,978
151
NY
Crashby said:
Well... making it myself is my... thing... thats the whole point. I have this strange compulsion to do everything myself.

here is the top... 5 coats hand rubbed poly followed by an auto wax polish:

I like to build things myself but stained glass doesn't seem fun to me.

Table looks good man. 50hrs on that bad boy aint bad.
 

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
215
0
Pittsburgh
From someone who has done workworking for over 20 years all
I can say is you did a first class job! But you do realize you'll never
be able to walk into a furniture store without saying to yourself that
I can make that for 1/2 the cost. Workworking is a slippery slope.
 

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
93
0
that rocks! good job man!

for about the last ten years I've been claiming that I'm going to build a sea kayak. one of these days...