Quantcast

Made some neat bar ends...

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Nothing important, just showing of a few of my scratch-made bar ends. :banana:

The ends were turned on a lathe from 1.25" stock, knurled the length of Al, 3 cuts to the shoulder, and one facing. Then I sanded/polished the face of the bar ends, from 120 grit to 1500 grit. (Machine and hand sanded/polished)

Next I took a trick from a buddy (thanks Mike!) cut some vinyl, and took a sandblaster to them, kind of etches the Al. I belive the blasting material is 400 grit AlOx.

Next time Ill try to get the logos perfectly centered.

What do ya think?

Note: I will not be selling these.<NO SPAM>

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Look awesome! Question though: how do they stay on? Can't really tell from the pic.

I have some 1" bar extensions designed for a friend of mine, just need to look into making them/getting them made....

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Look awesome! Question though: how do they stay on? Can't really tell from the pic.

I have some 1" bar extensions designed for a friend of mine, just need to look into making them/getting them made....
Thanks...

Yea you cant tell in the pic how they mount. I didnt want to cut a taper, and run a screw through the center of them like typical bar ends. I actually drilled and tapped a 4mm hole in the bars, and there is a hole in the ends. A set screw holds them in super tight.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Neat trick with the sandblasting, but why are they knurled? The idea is to protect yourself and other objects from the end of the bar. Seems counterproductive.
I know, I thought of that too, really the knurl is very shallow. I did it for that little extra grip. I believe at most you would receive a scratch if you fell on them.