Quantcast

Madman builds Linkage Lefty

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016

And it appears to not suck. The lowest point is possibly prone to rock strikes, but for a garage made prototype this thing looks pretty slick.

I can see some obvious advantages here- first and foremost being that using an off the shelf shock means your damper isn't going to suck, and you have pretty much infinite options for tuning. Also, just making a single crown, single sided chassis beefy as hell gets rid of a lot of the issues with the lefty.

Can see similar designs being quite a good idea actually.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Who has that old Cedric 4x lefty flex photo?

I think about it every time I see a Lefty on the internet. Because I only see Leftys on the Internet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
he's already got a second version planned that will add a floating arm for the brake mount to reduce fork dive.

regardless of what you think of linkage forks, single side forks, etc, this is pretty awesome for a DIY fork.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i mean it's not pretty, but it sounds rad functionally. and with only 1 pivot and a coil shock, has the potential to be the lowest maintenance fork (er... front suspension device?) ever. it's an interesting alternative to the more complicated linkage forks currently out there. and pretty damn slick for a home built job.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
he's already got a second version planned that will add a floating arm for the brake mount to reduce fork dive.

regardless of what you think of linkage forks, single side forks, etc, this is pretty awesome for a DIY fork.
Agreed, I actually much prefer the looks of this thing vs the Trust style.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
It's cool I guess, but what he really needs is some Trust style messaging and branding. That will have the orders pouring in.

But really, "aesthetics aside" disclaimer, that's bad ass garage effort IMO, and I appreciated his candid remarks about the pros/cons of crazy anti-dive and having a free and active suspension. Will be interested to the next version.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cool effort for sure. The whole single-side thing is neat and all, but what I'm most curious about is the fact it's a single pivot linkage fork, and how that limits/impacts axle path, shock rate, etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Strange that it's not a trailing link. Everything I've dealt with always says trailing link is superior.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I at least trust that it passes the 'perpendicular to the ground force' free body diagram test.....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Cool effort for sure. The whole single-side thing is neat and all, but what I'm most curious about is the fact it's a single pivot linkage fork, and how that limits/impacts axle path, shock rate, etc.
It needs an idler pulley to stop pedal kick back.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Strange that it's not a trailing link. Everything I've dealt with always says trailing link is superior.
A single pivot trailing link will rotate up under braking forces, kind of what you want in a rear suspension, the opposite of what you want up front. Porsches and VWs got away with it but with dumb engine placement and horizontal configuration the COG was low and far enough back. Trailing fork would need a floating fork or a 4 bar.