Quantcast

Magic Trick

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So as im riding (a very smooth trail) at diablo my chain skips a few times before my cranks lock into place. this is what happened. i have absolutely no idea how this happened as i always thought it was impossible for a chain to escape an E13 guide and i didnt know that the chain could do barrel rolls either.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Uhhh yea, you need to change out chains occasionally...when you can twist them a full turn over their length, that is a good sign that you chain is about two years too old.

Your guide is also not set up correctly. Your lower roller is too far away from the bash, and your upper slider is.....under your chain.....I am hoping that you did not do that yourself.

You also have a f*ed chainline.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Uhhh yea, you need to change out chains occasionally...when you can twist them a full turn over their length, that is a good sign that you chain is about two years too old.

Your guide is also not set up correctly. Your lower roller is too far away from the bash, and your upper slider is.....under your chain.....I am hoping that you did not do that yourself.

You also have a f*ed chainline.
it WAS under the upper slider, how it escaped is part of the magic. I don't doubt the chain is shot, i cant remember the last time i changed it, just surprised that it could actually escape. The chainring was fine but after i take the cranks off, ill see how fine it is now.

This is the first time the chain has came off since 2006 when i got the SRS. So i still highly recommend E13

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Looks to me as if your back plate is quite a bit too far inboard. ther is a boss on the lower roller plastic that shold be near flush with the outter face of the bash. The gap in this picture screams incorrect set-up to me. I could walk through that gap....

This picture is a bit telling as well. Your front ring should line up with the middle cog....not the midline of your tire.

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
wow. that is impressive! I'd say that anytime the chain gets perpendicular to the teeth on the chainring that's going to cause some havoc! If we can be of any help, let us know. support @ e13components.com, see you at the US Open.