Quantcast

Magical power from the glowing orb in the sky - solar all the things

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Looked at my house on Google's Project Sunroof to see the viability of getting solar. Even with incentives I would be at a $2000 loss after 20 years. With neighbor's large trees to the south and a gloomy climate not enough power producing ability. Additionally the time of year when I could generate power are the times of year when I hardly use any power. It would probably make more sense for me to get a more efficient heat pump and hot water heater.

View attachment 174572
I'd wager all of your electrons are from hydro anyways?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bah, they've analyzed to the other side of the nearby main road which is a 1/4 mile away but not my street.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd wager all of your electrons are from hydro anyways?

Correct. Only 3% of local power comes from carbon sources an a third of that is biogas. Burning methane is a hell of a lot better than releasing it. But we do have an integrated power grid so anything saved here could int theory reduce the load on some coal burner in Wyoming.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Correct. Only 3% of local power comes from carbon sources an a third of that is biogas. Burning methane is a hell of a lot better than releasing it. But we do have an integrated power grid so anything saved here could int theory reduce the load on some coal burner in Wyoming.
Good point. That's probably one of the things generally overlooked in a conversation about where the power comes from...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
All the sun here, this is using the power usage figure from my old house which was quite a bit smaller, but had single pane windows so maybe equivilent? Just need to get my stupid taxes finalized so I can jump into my solar system, too many projects going on eating too much of my time

ALL THE SUN.jpg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Ok sun-sucking monkeys, anybody go through Kota for their solar? About to pull the trigger on a system, not sure if it's even worth my time to get a quote from them, but I've been seeing their trucks absolutely everywhere as of late. Did any of you have them quote, were they competative?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok sun-sucking monkeys, anybody go through Kota for their solar? About to pull the trigger on a system, not sure if it's even worth my time to get a quote from them, but I've been seeing their trucks absolutely everywhere as of late. Did any of you have them quote, were they competative?
Did a couple locals, TSLA, and Sunrun. Ended up with Sunrun. They've had a few issues with the install process, but I'm getting an array 10% larger for same px because of their fuck ups. Super communicative as well. Px was slightly higher net, but I was able to do a longer term, so less forward capital outlay (keep money invested). They also built it 20% larger on assumption of an electric vehicle, which TSLA and half the locals wouldn't do.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Looked at my house on Google's Project Sunroof to see the viability of getting solar. Even with incentives I would be at a $2000 loss after 20 years. With neighbor's large trees to the south and a gloomy climate not enough power producing ability. Additionally the time of year when I could generate power are the times of year when I hardly use any power. It would probably make more sense for me to get a more efficient heat pump and hot water heater.

View attachment 174572
Better insulation could also be worthwhile to look into. We have put 300mm on the roof, new windows and insulated the floor in the basement.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

View attachment 174572
Just put a battery in and charge it with off peak power then use it in the day time, it's the sneaky loophole, over here anyway.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Did a couple locals, TSLA, and Sunrun. Ended up with Sunrun. They've had a few issues with the install process, but I'm getting an array 10% larger for same px because of their fuck ups. Super communicative as well. Px was slightly higher net, but I was able to do a longer term, so less forward capital outlay (keep money invested). They also built it 20% larger on assumption of an electric vehicle, which TSLA and half the locals wouldn't do.

Leaning toward Sunrun but figured I'd ask about Kota. Sunrun has a better price and lead time than anybody else with an actual reputation, they'll cover the cost to upgrade my panel to 200 amps which I need even if I don't go solar, and going through Costco I get almost $3k back in costco giftcards which I can spend on fancy scotch. The 20 year financing at 2.99% drops the monthly cost fairly substantially. Even if I don't put the tax credit toward the system and re-amortize my monthly payment would be just a hair less than my electric bill for a system 147% larger than my current usage (planning 1 EV and 1 PHEV) with a single LG back-up battery.

The battery is stupid expensive for what it is, would never make much sense as a way to save on your bill, but having power during our bi-monthly outages after the sun goes down seems worth it. I really want 2, but if we're adding an EV anyway that can feed the house off it's battery spending $12k for a second battery when a Mach E extended range has the equivalent of 9 batteries doesn't pencil out.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Leaning toward Sunrun but figured I'd ask about Kota. Sunrun has a better price and lead time than anybody else with an actual reputation, they'll cover the cost to upgrade my panel to 200 amps which I need even if I don't go solar, and going through Costco I get almost $3k back in costco giftcards which I can spend on fancy scotch. The 20 year financing at 2.99% drops the monthly cost fairly substantially. Even if I don't put the tax credit toward the system and re-amortize my monthly payment would be just a hair less than my electric bill for a system 147% larger than my current usage (planning 1 EV and 1 PHEV) with a single LG back-up battery.

The battery is stupid expensive for what it is, would never make much sense as a way to save on your bill, but having power during our bi-monthly outages after the sun goes down seems worth it. I really want 2, but if we're adding an EV anyway that can feed the house off it's battery spending $12k for a second battery when a Mach E extended range has the equivalent of 9 batteries doesn't pencil out.
Have you been getting separate quotes from the solar companies or using one of the web based central quote website doodads?

I think I'm still more interested in a ground array than roof panels...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Have you been getting separate quotes from the solar companies or using one of the web based central quote website doodads?

I'm kind of interested in a ground array as well - we have a decent spot (I think) up at the top of our hill - not sure how many could be placed up there...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005

Separate, have yet to find a company that will quote anything without an in person meeting, hence trying to limit my number of quotes.

I have a giant roof, whatever you picture as being a giant roof, double that and that's my roof, and it's only a few degrees away from perfectly aligned with the sun, so this shit is going on the roof.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
^Yep, if I could get a Lightning Pro at MSRP I'd be very tempted to buy one just as a battery. $40k-$6.5k fed tax credit- $24k not buying 2 batteries = $9500 for a brand new truck. The only issues is that any time I'm driving it I'm without my back-up battery at home. Thus a single battery seems like the answer, I can keep all the important stuff going on the single until I get home with the EV at which point I can turn on the AC.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Separate, have yet to find a company that will quote anything without an in person meeting, hence trying to limit my number of quotes.

I have a giant roof, whatever you picture as being a giant roof, double that and that's my roof, and it's only a few degrees away from perfectly aligned with the sun, so this shit is going on the roof.
I used the central thing to start with here, then requested more detailed quotes. They were still using the roof profile and such, but were pretty close to what I actually got installed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if we're adding an EV anyway that can feed the house off it's battery spending $12k for a second battery when a Mach E extended range has the equivalent of 9 batteries doesn't pencil out.
Note that only a few EVs have vehicle to home power applications:

The Lightning ($3.x k extra fancy EVSE with home CCS connector for the DC hookup and then an extra inverter on the home side).

The Kia/Hyundai twins can export some small amount of AC via their J1772 and an adapter. I think it’s just 15A 120V. Euro people get 240V since that’s what they run. No auto switchover for house use so not super useful.

VW MEB vehicles like the ID.4 with the 77 kWh pack will get vehicle to home (VW calls this bidirectional charging just to be different) with a software update. Not sure how that’s going to work without a new EVSE: they’ve showed off a small 22 kW bidirectional level 3 charger (“DC Wallbox”) before, which is kind of like Ford’s thing but with DC both ways.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Note that only a few EVs have vehicle to home power applications:

The Lightning ($3.x k extra fancy EVSE with home CCS connector for the DC hookup and then an extra inverter on the home side).

The Kia/Hyundai twins can export some small amount of AC via their J1772 and an adapter. I think it’s just 15A 120V. Euro people get 240V since that’s what they run. No auto switchover for house use so not super useful.

VW MEB vehicles like the ID.4 with the 77 kWh pack will get vehicle to home (VW calls this bidirectional charging just to be different) with a software update. Not sure how that’s going to work without a new EVSE: they’ve showed off a small 22 kW bidirectional level 3 charger (“DC Wallbox”) before, which is kind of like Ford’s thing but with DC both ways.

Yep, allegedly it's coming to the Mach E too, and my wife won't shut up about them so that's what we're looking toward. Any infrastructure I have to buy/install is going to cost a hell of a lot less than a second $12k battery. I imagine all EVs will have to step their game up and add it as a feature in the near future, it's just too damn logical of a feature to omit.

My Taco is getting replaced sooner rather than later with an F150 hybrid that'll run my house as well if need-be until either back-up battery prices come down or the EV/powerbank thing works itself out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here’s a nice article detailing the state of the 3rd party bidirectional EVSE/charger (VW’s is an outright charger) world:

And here’s a blurb that suggests that the MME isn’t bidirectional capable. Last line. Who knows what’s possible via OTA in the future but I wouldn’t count on it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Got the engineering back on my system today, papers are signed, extra-big-ass solar system en-route, with room to more than double it if I want to. Looking like 6-8 weeks out which sucks, but it is what it is. Also due to local codes my battery has to go on the opposite corner which means jank wire routing no matter how they do it, again, it is what it is. Just dumb that I can park 3 massive Li-ion batteries in my garage, but can't hang one on my stucco wall surrounded by nothing buy more stucco, brick and concrete.

Never turning off a light again.

SOLAR.jpg

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Never turning off a light again.
My house is consistently kept 2-3 degrees cooler in the summer since having my system installed, and we don’t even think about opening the house at night any more if it’s warm outside. And yet, I think I’ve paid $20 for electricity in the past two years. No ragrets.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
^Thats the goal. We run the AC hard all summer because we dig a cold house, but our power bill is higher than giraffe nuts.

Shit wasn’t cheap, but at least I’m paying for something I get to own and benefit from rather than paying Edison.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I guess we have the 4th lowest electricity in the country, and all of ours is hydro (or non coal). But we haven’t needed AC in the house yet. I do have AC and heat for the bong-shed, though.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You should save a few degrees based on insulation of not having your attic heat up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looking into solar/roof combinations to see if I can expedite this. Our roof is about 6-7 years out so solar is out of the question until I get a new roof. Has anybody done the combo thing? It feels like a scam but I can't do one without the other right now.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd still really like solar with battery backup for our frequent power outages. But our electricity bill is only ~$40/month.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Well shit, Sunrun called today to schedule my install, had to push it back due to meetings already scheduled at works. Looks like it'll be 40 days exactly from accepting the proposal to stealing all your UVs to power my refrigerator.

Now that I've solved the energy crisis, gunna have myself a beer

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well shit, Sunrun called today to schedule my install, had to push it back due to meetings already scheduled at works. Looks like it'll be 40 days exactly from accepting the proposal to stealing all your UVs to power my refrigerator.

Now that I've solved the energy crisis, gunna have myself a beer
Did you end up talking with Ro?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My panels are live as of Thursday. I have used -6kWh since then with full AC and 6 people here and it's almost 95*.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FBB8B2C7-8F8F-420A-B174-C1C61E82D1A1.jpeg

Mine are lapping up all this unnaturally sunny weather. These data are from 12.34 kW of my 13.94 kW total array so by straight extrapolation should be generating about 61.8 kWh in total per day on average.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Over the year again from the subset of panels

7F1DC7BB-CA79-45BF-8B83-A4081A819A26.jpeg

Last edited: