Quantcast

Magnetically clipping pedals

bikergirl25

Chimp
Jul 14, 2015
So I'm kinda newish to biking and the idea of clipping in is still a little unnerving for me. So my friend pointed me to some magnetically clipping pedals that are supposed to be easier and more versatile. It's called MagLOCK and they're brand new on kickstarter. I watched the video and they seem like they'd be worth a try. What do you think?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
"Biking is an inherently dangerous sport. The manufacturer does not guarantee that the MagLOCK Bike Pedal will function or release as described previously"

Sorry but the SPD platform works, works well - is light weight, with adjustable tension/float. This is someone answering a question no one asked IMHO. Personally the beauty of a spd pedal is that you can't just yank up and release, unlike a magnet.

Just buy some platform spd, a good shoe and ride.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Clipping in, or rather out, is always a little freakish the first couple rides. Especially those couple of times that you will forget and quickly enter panic mode.

But never fret, unless you're a total hack it will eventually become a natural reflex to unclip when you stop.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
It could be that the magnet stuff is brilliant, but I'd be willing to bet that's it's way more expensive than your run-of-the mill clip-in pedals. And to be honest, I think it's probably not brilliant. With that in mind, just take the time to get used to standard clip-ins. We've all been there, super sketchy and nervous on the pedals, where you have a bunch of awkward, embarrassing falls. Practice is really the only remedy.

So I'm kinda newish to biking and the idea of clipping in is still a little unnerving for me. So my friend pointed me to some magnetically clipping pedals that are supposed to be easier and more versatile. It's called MagLOCK and they're brand new on kickstarter. I watched the video and they seem like they'd be worth a try. What do you think?
I suspect that these could prove just as unnerving as SPDs and at this point they're unproven. Most of the learning with SPDs consists of forgetting that you're clipped in when you're stopped, and you fall over. Embarrassing but not damaging. It takes maybe five rides to get used to them.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
learning to ride clipless is easy. go with spd's, set the tension to it's easiest and practice in a grass field. if you fall it won't hurt like if you were on a dirt trail. i think the magnet idea still needs some work.