Quantcast

Magura blood and mineral oil

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are they interchangable? I know magura's warranty only applies to magura blood, but as far as I know it's just mineral oil in a fancy bottle. Still don't want to void the warranty if it's not.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
http://cyclingcentralva.org/geninfo.html

What type of oil should I use in my Magura hydraulic brakes?

Magura Blood mineral oil is the recommended oil, which is a 10 weight mineral oil. By far, our most common problem we encounter is consumers putting off-the-shelf mineral oil (from a drug store) in their Magura hydraulic brakes. Off-the-shelf mineral oil is normally 30-50 weight which will make the brake very sluggish. In addition, off-the-shelf mineral oil has additives, perfumes and different boiling points, all of which can cause brake failure. USE ONLY MAGURA BLOOD IN YOUR BRAKE SYSTEM. Use of any other fluid besides Magura Blood mineral oil will void your warranty

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Right on. I wouldn't necessarily put something that makes you poop in my brake lines, but I wasn't sure if Shimano and Magura fluids were compatible, or if there was a cheaper alternative. I don't want to be caught out at a park without my specialty fluid and have no option for fixing my brakes.

A couple of weeks ago we mouth pipetted DOT fluid from the car to fix a bad bleed. That was neat...

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
lhm fluid that is used in clutches and brakes in some cars does the trick. Its exactly the same as the shimano stuff and the shimano oil works fine in the maguras. In my experience it works better than the normal magura blood.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
A couple of weeks ago we mouth pipetted DOT fluid from the car to fix a bad bleed. That was neat...
ive bled a set of brakes with vegetable oil before with good results. Convincing the owner of the brakes that he needed the smallest store brand bottle possible was the hardest part.

asparks65

Chimp
May 28, 2009
This is the best performing hydraulic mineral oil that I have used yet. It is also 25 times less expensive than Shimano Mineral Oil.

Pentosin central hydraulic fluid is one option. Either of LHM Plus or CHF 7.1(No. 54106) will work fine. LHM Plus & CHF 7.1 are rated at 18 cSt@40C/6.0 cSt@100C/VI 340. This is slightly thinner than the Castrol, so it may work even better in Shimano brakes. Pentosin is supplied in the hydraulic systems of most German and European cars, most notably as BMW and Audi power steering fluid. Consult a local BMW dealer about availability. Do not use CHF 11S with as it is a synthetic oil. CHF 7.1 should run about $15 per liter. I think that Pentosin CHF 7.1 is probably the best improvement that can be made to the Shimano brakes. (Green Color)

I love this stuff. I have recently started using it as a chain lube with great success. it doesn't cake up like other options i've tried.

Pentosin 7.1 is not compatible with the seals in Hayes FX-9 brakes (Seal swell).

*********I found this on the web, not my idea but Im using it with no probs yet!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've found Magura blood at moto shops more than once.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Magura Blood = Shimano Mineral oil but 1/10th as much. You can find it at basically all moto shops because Magura used to make the hydraulic clutches for KTM/Husaberg and maybe Husky? I know Brembo is their OEM now for the clutch side, but it's still common at moto shops.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Gonna dredge this one up.

I noticed my local moto shop has magura blood in stock. I am setting up a new pair of Shimano XT brakes (pre servo-wave). This would be cheaper and easier than ordering the shimano fluid. In a pinch I have used over the counter (drug store) mineral oil, but it is obviously way to thick and has to be purged in short order. It's basically an emergency fix.

Bicycling say specifically not to mix up shimano and magura mineral oil.
article here
Of course magazine facts are always up for debate.

Anybody actually use magura blood in a shimano system? Any issue?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
there was an interesting article floating around the tubes about a guy who had tested several different brands and came to rest on pentosin power steering fluid for audis...

as far as I know, magura blood is just blue mineral oil, much like shimano is just red flavor. I might switch to that stuff when I bleed next, since my liquid gold shimano stuff bled all over my toolbox.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Looks like the Pentosin info posted earlier in the thread is just a cut and paste from the article. That is interesting, but not really any easier to get a hold of locally.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Anybody actually use magura blood in a shimano system? Any issue?
I have both brands of brakes on different bikes. I've just grabbed whichever oil was closest at the time. Either way both oils have worked fine in either brand of brakes for years.

Just my experience, yours may be different.