Quantcast

Magura Gustav M

Mike S.

Chimp
Jan 18, 2010
I have a 07 V10 with a fox40. I'm looking to buy some used gustav's from a friend (210mm front 190mm rear)but he does not have any adapters I've searched for magura gustav disc brake adapters online and found absolutley nothing! Does anyone know the part# I need or a website where I can buy them? Thanks for the help

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
bti used to carry alot of them. jsut about every local bikeshop in the planet has an account w/ bti.

you can check out their stock and part numbers at bti-usa.com and give that info to your shop.

also, magura has a us distributor you could call if the above does not work. sorry, blanking on the name, but they are in rural illinois somewhere.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't like that the levers are hard to reach, with limited adjustment but cheap feeling? How so?
the cheap plastic feeling that you get when you squeeze them. reach was never a issue since i apparently have ogre sizes hands, but the levers were the worst of any brakes ive used....Hayes included.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I agree. My maggies had great power but terrible modulation and the lever feel was absolutely dreadful, which is probably what led to bad modulation on my part. The blade felt awful, the reach felt awful, and the action was very wooden/not sensitive.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I had my Gustav calipers mated to the Louise FR levers. Best. Decision. Ever.

Much more positive feeling, stiffer, etc. The Gustav levers just felt dead...
the Louise lever does feel worlds better than the Gustav's. sounds like a good combo

The blade felt awful, the reach felt awful, and the action was very wooden/not sensitive.
funny, ive said the same thing before. it seems like a odd description, but it is true.

rockdog

Chimp
Feb 6, 2009
If your having trouble with the lever reach like I did, there is an easy fix. Undo the screw and take the lever out, remove the curved metal anvil thingy from the lever. You need to file down the part on the anvil thingy that makes contact with the reach set screw in the lever. If you look closely the part that contacts the screw is raised, I filed it so it was flush with the rest of the curve and gained more (less) reach than I needed. Depending on how much you file off you could get the levers very close to the bar. I also found this to help with modulation, although that may be down to improved eronomics.

If your lever feel is cheap, use some dry graphite on the cylinder that holds the anvil thingy and the lever together, don't over tighten the screw.

rockdog

Chimp
Feb 6, 2009
If you are confused by my ever so detailed instructions, let me know and I'll post some pics to show you what I am talking about. Who doesn't know what an anvil thingy is though?

Aug 4, 2008
Plastic lever - do you mean they feel like plastic?

I have a set of 2005 Gustavs whith alu levers - which feel awersome. Everything feels awesome about Gustavs - to me at least. But I have to note that they do feel different to other brakes, but once i got used to them...

Only other brake I could consider buying is Shimano Saint. I certainly wouldn't buy any DOT based brakes - they all massively suck.

rockdog

Chimp
Feb 6, 2009
Uhh yeah not sure about the plastic lever comment. Mine are aluminum, which feel like aluminum.

Not sure if the royal blood is thicker or not but I run it in my wifes shimano brakes with no problems.