Quantcast

Magura Gustav

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You won't see any tears from me...mine had all power and no modulation, horrible lever feel and shape.

I can see why some people do like them though, massive power all day long.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You won't see any tears from me...mine had all power and no modulation, horrible lever feel and shape.

I can see why some people do like them though, massive power all day long.
My father still uses them on his big bike and strangely enough with goodridge hoses they have great modulation. Much better than my saints. I was suprised as mine had very little but Im one of the people who like very sharp brakes. Probably because of my long fingers and levers that go close to the bars are not what I like.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
But people are using the Louise levers/Gustav calipers combo to gain a lighter a setup.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I won't miss them too much. they were strong as hell, but there are many brakes out ow that are much better. The Gustav's may be the strongest, but the levers feel like they are off a 70s motorcycle, and the feedback from the brake is nonexistant. All of a sudden you just slow down or endo and shoot yourself 90 yards into the trees.

Also interesting to notice that the Wotan is gone. I suspect the Thor is axed next. i haven't felt a good fork from them when its actually required to move, unlike an xc fork.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I run Gustav calipers with saint levers. Those brakes can stop a truck and feel great,
I bet that's actually a good combination. Too bad saints are good enough (though arguably not as powerful as gustavs) on their own. No reason to dissect a great brake.

Plus that friggin caliper mount. What were they thinking???

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I bet that's actually a good combination. Too bad saints are good enough (though arguably not as powerful as gustavs) on their own. No reason to dissect a great brake.

Plus that friggin caliper mount. What were they thinking???
You dont need to dissect nothing. Saint levers are cheap and can be had for around 40$ if I remember right.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If their pros use 07 888s, diabolus stems and gustavs Im not suprised no one told them some people want gustavs to loose a bit of weight ;)