Quantcast

Magura Thor - any thoughts?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The Reba I had on my SS bit the dust, so I need to replace it. I've got an 04 Talas on my full squish, thinking about moving that to the SS and getting a Thor for the 575.

Any feedback on Magura forks? Do they hold up well? I don't need a ton of adjustability (I'm more of a set it and go person), but I do like travel adjustment. Looking for something that will hold up well, isnt a boat anchor, and is well suited to my 575 and northeast trail riding.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sorry no info on the Thor but I have a 2007 Wotan, I used it pretty hard for two years and raced a bit over a season of DH on it. I replaced the dust/oil seals after a year and a half but the it turned out the damper seal was leaking causing the oil on the stanchions.

One full set of seals in two years and that was it, however my fork had the nasty top out clunk so I was sent a new air spring from the US(for free) after the warranty had run out, I was very impressed with that.

I'm pretty sure all of the Magura forks aren't super supple on the small bumps but mine take fast successive hits much better than my 2010 Totem. Also they are made in Germany yet still sell at a price similar to a Taiwnese fork, seems crazy!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Keep in mind Magura has found Doc Brown's DeLorean and took us back to 1990 for the 2011-2012 product line. They took of the seals from their forks and packed some grease instead, for the sake of a 20 grams weight cutting :-/.
Wow that's not good, oh well disregard anything I said then. Is there still room to pput beter seals in?

Have a look on the Magura support forum if there is a common problem it will show up in there.