Quantcast

Magura to ???

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Ok, so I'm pretty much sick of my Maguras being finicky and a general PITA. i can also drop some weight by going with another setup while improving performance, so why not? The brakes are the silver Magura Louise FRs and while others seem to think they're awesome brakes, i'm less than impressed. i was stoked when i first got them, but the performance has been steadily decreasing. i'm considering Shimanos, Avids, Hopes or maybe Formulas. I couldn't afford the Formula Ones, so I'd have to go for the Megas. I'm thinking XTs from Shimano, M4s from Hope, and Codes or Juicy's from Avid. I know that Juicy 7s are proven and seem to have good overall performance, but do any of the other brakes stand above them?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
For DH, I've been really impressed with my codes compared to my juicy 7's, (which were adequate themselves.) Tons of power, easy modulation, zero fade. Codes are heavier than juicies, but the 08s are something like 80 grams lighter than the 07s.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
hmm, interesting. i think i've eliminated the hopes because even though they look sick, they're expensive and it seems like some of the other brakes have a little more value packed into them. codes sounds pretty good if they're 80 grams lighter than last year, i really like the idea of minimal input into the brakes. one of my complaints about my maguras was that i've always had to put a good amount of effort into them, a problem that would be gone with codes. i might be turning away from the formulas because they aren't proven and if i'm going to be getting anything in the next month or so, there's no chance i'll really see any in depth info on them. i'll look into the pricing on codes tomorrow....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just buy the oro k24 and change the levers(for 1 finger one levers, hate the 2 finger oro lever) and pads. The best way to go imho.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I just went from some 2005 Magura Liouse Fr's to 2007 Avid Juicy 7's. I had no great reason to change, except the mag's were 2 years old and starting to show their age. I haven't really ridden the juicy's, but I like the feel while just riding around the street!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i own both the 08 codes and the oro k24 (xc bike).

the oro's are light, very light but not weak by any means. they have good power and great modulation. the levers feel good (both in actually feel and the bite point) and there is nothing wrong with the stock pads. also did i mention that they are light?

the codes that i have are very very new to me (read not even fully broken in). for 08 they are not all that heavy but at the same time not light. also if initial power is any indication of final power these things are going to be killers. my only complain as of now is that the lever feels a little soft to me (i have a very firm lever feel). also i have heard that the pads wear quick. so i would say that the codes are going to survive a nasty wreck better then the oro's would and day of the week, they are burly.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I think you should find out what's up with your Maguras, man. I'm bettin you've got the stock organic pads in yet? Cuz they get dirty once and they start to suck.
I sold my Louise FRs in favor of Codes, and despite trying to justify the cost, I honestly can't ****ing tell the difference, except they're like a pound heavier and I can't reach the levers. Adjust the levers in and then they hit the damn grips. But the upside to that is When I'm really scared on steeps I can have both brakes locked and all fingers on the grips at the same time! :)

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
nah, i've replaced the pads, but to no avail. basically, i have enough money right now to get a new fork or new brakes, possibly both. bleed your codes thrillseeka, i've heard they come with a bad bleed rather frequently. i'm just thinking that even if i get the brakes serviced, i'm going to end up wishing i had something lighter and stronger. what i've gathered so far is that the codes will be overkill. i'm not heavy at all and i i never seem to be hitting my brakes on stuff in a crash, so i'm thinking juicys or formulas at this point, possibly shimanos if i get feedback on the new XTs. they claim they're 20% more powerful than the old model.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
A bad bleed is arelatively obvious issue, and the main reason I sold my Maguras and bought new Codes instead. The lines were shot and there was air in both. I'm saying that brakes can only do so much, and the only three things TRULY noticeable with brakes are fade, grab, and modulation. The ONLY thing I've been ABLE to notice, do to icy trails and 6" deep snow, and that the Codes are quicker to grab than the Maguras did. I also had sintered pads in the Maguras and I still have the organics in the Codes, so I imagine the Codes will soon be an on-off brake once I switch over to metallic pads, but the conditions I love to ride in tend to require it. However that will also be a good thing once I get back into conditions that truly require badass brakes, like the steep, rocky slopes they hold the races on here.
I think people's-myself included-desire for "better" brakes is a little misleading. All they really have to do is not leak, not fade, and slow the forward progress of the bike as predictably as possible every single time we use them. That's why, in my opinion, brakes like the Hayes 9s, Hopes and others with recurring issues such as leaks and fade, or a general lack of strength gained bad reputations. Codes are pretty new yet and I expect some issues to arise, but the Maguras were a pretty darn dependable brake until I started messing with them. Ripped out a rear line and then needed to lengthen a front. After that I had nothing but problems. So it wasn't the brakes, it was shop error and no one could just seem to get it right. I gave up and bought new.
So I dunno what to tell you! Perhaps you have more adequate shops there? Might be worth a $150 to invest in two stainless braided brake lines and a quality bleed job and keep rockin the Maguras. Just my .02...