Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
So I had a couple of firsts last week:

First time attending Sea Otter
First time racing downhill
First time riding newly set up bike

I just finished having my imperial powder coated, along with the new bars and hub, in time for Sea Otter. I literally picked up my hub from the coaters the day I had to hop on a plane to Reno....sweet sweet Reno ;) . Resulting also in a rear wheel that was hastily laced, and in need of tensioning all week long, not to mention never actually trued (not by a truing stand anyway).

Luckily I had half a day in Tahoe to piece together my bike and roll around a neighbourhood a bit to see how she felt........ Wierd mostly! Below is the setup, and the fork, stem, headset, handlebars, crank-set, bashguard, and pedals are all new to the bike.

Imperial frame
Manitou 1.5" breakout plus
Hope Bulb, 20mm thru axle setup
Hope Mini brakes
FSA Orbit Xtreme 1.5 headset
RaceFace Diabolous 1.5 stem
Thick Bikes custom chromo bars
Thomson post
Demolition seat
Profile ss crank-set
Evil bash guard
Blackspire 40 tooth chain ring
Rohloff hub
Mavic D521 rims

Well I think thats everything. So I was coming from a Z1 fork with frame spacers, and an MRP/Bones crank system (sacreligious on an imperial, so I am told :D), my old bars were lower profile, and the frame used to be army green. So my front end is now pretty much 3+ inches higher than before and it felt wierd for a while.

However, once I got used to the setup, and availed myself of the travel reduction to 5", I got comfortable and started really enjoying this new setup. The fork performed excellent IMO, giving me no worries on the DH course. The bike in general performed excellent, and I think the only thing lacking was a corresponding pilot upgrade :p.

So the whole Sea Otter event was just great. Awesome weather, people, and riding. Thanks very much to everyone who helped make this a great event for all the participants and for myself, especially Eric, Zeke, Lorie, and Jacky. You guys made my trip!

The riding was quite different from what I'm used to and therefore really compelling and enjoyable. The DH course was just fun, fun, fun I would humbly state. Racing was a good time, but it stressed me out a bit..... performance anxiety:eek: :confused: :eek: ? I crashed in my race run, and got a mug full of California's finest coastal dirt/dust. Didn't crash once during practices though.......ah well. It was cool to BS with all the other riders during all the multiple stages of waiting surrounding the actuall riding. So overall I give 'er two dirty thumbs up. I definately plan on attending next year, and hopefully racing some more in between.

On my way out of town I got to ride at a nice spot around reno, an hour or two before my flight, having to box my bike up for the flight at our car at the riding spot. This spot was some djs and a dual type of line (many berms, many jumps) and I got to meet Jim 'Hacksaw" there, since he is the man heading up the building/maintaining of that spot. Jim was real nice to meet and talk to, and props to him (and all the riders) for even participating in the big air/dirt jump event. Also congrats to him for being offered a rider spot on the Marzocci team.

I have some video I'm trying to put into a coherent whole, so that is forthcoming, and should be fun to watch/laugh at.

and hopefully my pics will post........

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
oops, that previous one is one of my favorite sea otter pics, not the pic of my bike I thought it was. I liked it there, all empty,quiet, with clean bathrooms........

heres another bike one I hope

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Mutt, I saw you talking to Rohloff about some slop in your hub or something, He was telling you it was normal and unavoidable? What's up with that? Fill me in...

Oh yeah, bike looks good! glad you had a good time!

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Originally posted by punkassean
Mutt, I saw you talking to Rohloff about some slop in your hub or something, He was telling you it was normal and unavoidable? What's up with that? Fill me in...
Yeah, Thomas was telling me that it is inherent in the design. That there is some space associated with the shifting mechanism that is required in order for it to be able to shift. My true opinion is that this does not matter (for me) at all. If this slop/play did not exist, I could truthfully say that this drive-trane is nearly perfect. I never noticed it as significant till someone else was trying to pedal-kick the bike around and was struggling due to the lag. However, I can't do pedal-kicks/cat-walk thingies, and its not high on my list of skills to learn at the moment, and I've never found another instance when this has held me up. So depending on your riding style and intents, it may have no impact.

There are also some other projects involving internalized transmissions that would likely not involve this stuff, but gotta wait a while for that.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Originally posted by arcteryx33
Now it needs to stop raining in the burgh so we can ride.
rain or not, lets ride man. maybe not dirt if its wet, but cement should be handleable. Also I have Brad's #, and he wants to ride.

I ended up using two spacers, one under the stem and one above it. they are either 10 or 5mm spacers from FSA, can't remember which.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Originally posted by Acadian
Sweet..thanks for the pics and roundup!!

but what happened to the decals?
I had the frame powder coated that gray, so the stickers got stripped. I spoke briefly with the E13-guys at sea otter, but they don't yet have anything in the way of a frame-set of stickers, but it apparently is in the works, so I will just have to wait.......

On the other hand I could just get some Nicolai stickers and most people would never know :devil: :eek: :D