Quantcast

mailboxes today?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
rode it this morning,..................... by the way, when was the last time you rode mail boxes?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
yep, it is pretty sick, hopefully it stays there for awhile, ...... we're planning on building a little more for it. On the side with the roll down, we want to build a couple of doubles, a berm, and another bridge that will drop out on the main trail, we've got all the materials, we're just trying to get some guys together, so we can build it fast! and get out there..... I don't know who built whats up there right now, but I want to give them a big hug...(lol) anyways we want to continue there good work, and extend that section a little!

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
it's right at the 6pack, you know, the first 3 jumps on the trail.
it's sweet. probably like 6 or 7 foot drop. i was hittin it today on the hardtail:thumb:. you hit the first double then cut out and go up onto the bridge and drop off. it's perfectly sized. first run you'll go faster than you need to, but the tranny is long enough to handle it.
sean- i'm leaving for arizona for a week on saturday morning, but i'll be riding tomorrow and friday if you're down

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
we're going saturday morning, I think we may try to build a little extension after the roll in! probably a 4 pack, and a berm back onto the trail!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I am stoked that that trail is getting even more fun but it kinda sucks that you have to miss the second jump to hit the drop...I'm sure the drop is more fun than the second and third jumps anyway since the first jump is the only semi-nicely shaped one anyway.

Chaz, I might be able to get out there tomorrow but not today. How long will you be in AZ?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
punkassean said:
I am stoked that that trail is getting even more fun but it kinda sucks that you have to miss the second jump to hit the drop...I'm sure the drop is more fun than the second and third jumps anyway since the first jump is the only semi-nicely shaped one anyway.

Chaz, I might be able to get out there tomorrow but not today. How long will you be in AZ?
i'll be there until next friday (aug 6). i think i'm coming back in mid afternoon, and since i'm not bringing my bike with me, i'll be dying to ride. hopefully by the time i come back i'll have my romic back, but we'll see. i'm thinking about ordering up another shock though. give me some opinions: should i go for a 5th (i have access to wholesale, which is why i'd choose it over a 6way), or should i find an old RC to get Pushed, or should i order up a new RC propedal? suggestions?

oh yeah, anyone got that ISIS bb tool that looks like the old shimano bb tool but is deeper, the one with like 40 teeth on it? i think it's a truvativ, but don't remember. i gotta tighten up the bb on my hardtail.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have a few different BB tools, both the XTR/ISIS style and the Shimano splined/square taper style...

What about waiting for a DHX? What's the I-2-I?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
punkassean said:
I have a few different BB tools, both the XTR/ISIS style and the Shimano splined/square taper style...

What about waiting for a DHX? What's the I-2-I?
i2i is 7.5, 2" stroke. anyone know what that thing is gonna cost?
the isis tool i need is the one that looks just like the old shimano square taper tool, but the cavity is deeper to accomodate the larger spindle.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
squarewheels said:
the isis tool i need is the one that looks just like the old shimano square taper tool, but the cavity is deeper to accomodate the larger spindle.
I may have that tool, the one I have I think is a lifu or something, I used it at Whistler to remove an ISIS bb...

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
if anyone is interesed we are gonna go build more tomarrow afternoon (friday), probably around 4pm, we should have enough shovels and what not, so ride down, and give us a hand.

scurban said:
hey surfinguru, I work for Fat Tire..... you like our beer?
How could you tell? :thumb: So are you gonna hook me up with the goods then?

Damn, I'd be down for today to provide moral support and whatever physical contributions I could make, but it's "Drunken Poker" night this evening. Game starts at 6pm so there's no way I can make it. I'll mosey on over tomorrow and have a look-see.

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
I plan on riding MB and some UCSC trails next Saturday. Sean, MAYBE I'll try the dead campers drop :eek: ... Maybe. I would be happy to watch you hit it :) I can't wait to see the new stuff on MB :drool: . I'd be down to move some dirt too, if there are some people who wanted to work then. Who else is down for a ride then?

Hit Pacifica last weekend. Crack was a biohazard area :nope: . I was pushing my bike up, and the Poison Oak was so bad I turned back. Did mile and a couple of runs through Boyscout. Much fun. The only thing I haven't hit there is the "career ender" I wasn't feeling it this time, but I will hit it when I get back from Canada in September :thumb:

Scott

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
what's the "career ender"? Sounds gnarly...

I am down to ride most anytime but I will be in S.B. for the 7-8th weekend and Downieville for the 21-22nd...

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
Okay,
I admit it, I used the name because it makes it sound scarier than it is... It is a jump about the size of the first hit on MB, but there is no real landing ramp. About 20(?) feet away from the takeoff the ground slopes away sharply, and off chamber, down to a fireroad. To clear it you have to pedal in at full speed. Then just hold onto the traction on the slope to the road, and you are all set. I don't see in pictures of it online. I've seen it hit clean on a hardtail. I've also had to point out to a few riders that you are supposed to land way over there... They don't even consider it as a double when they see it. They assume you are suppose to land on the flat. :rolleyes:

To bad about the schedule Sean, I am out of town this weekend, riding SC on the 7th-8th, N* on the 14th-15th, rest up on the 28th-29th weekend. Then off to Canada September 1st to 13th. A couple of days on Victoria (never riden there before, should be an adventure). Then Sqamish for a couple of days (great network of stunt-filled XC trails). Then on up to Whistler for a week :dancing: . Then back to Vancouver and the North Shore for a weekend :D :heart: :thumb: :cool: . That way I can go all out in Vancouver without risking getting hurt before my vacation ;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Well Chaz, Scurban myself and the two creators of the fine new construction all met up this afternoon to do some more work. By the time I got there they had already built a new double right after the bypass for the new drop. It is much like the first jump in the three pack but longer and taller. We also cleared the way for the trail to continue a ways farther down. Things are looking really nice out there I hope it doesn't get torn down any time soon. These guys have spent a ton of time on these new stunts and they are really looking good! Some of us will be out there again tomorrow afternoon/evening if anybody wants to lend a hand...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
if you haven't been to mailboxes lately, go check it out. these two dudes did an AWESOME job building a big ladder. it's like 10-12 feet off the ground, with a 7 foot drop to dirt tranny or a sweet roll off that will send you out to the new trail we started. considering it was just the two of them who built the whole thing, they did a phenomonal job. it's not perfect yet, but major props goes out to them for getting the ball rolling on trail building, and doing a damn good job.
i'll be back next weekend but may not have a bike. the crown in my DJ is cracking, so i gotta call marzocchi on monday, and may or may not have it back by the weekend. i'm gonna guess not, so i think i'll go out and do trailwork on mailboxes if people are down to do that. it'd be awesome if we could get like 6 people out there with a bunch of tools and get a big section of trail done. i'm psyched to do some building, and after today i think a lot of other people are too.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
punkassean said:
Well Chaz, Scurban myself and the two creators of the fine new construction all met up this afternoon to do some more work. By the time I got there they had already built a new double right after the bypass for the new drop. It is much like the first jump in the three pack but longer and taller. We also cleared the way for the trail to continue a ways farther down. Things are looking really nice out there I hope it doesn't get torn down any time soon. These guys have spent a ton of time on these new stunts and they are really looking good! Some of us will be out there again tomorrow afternoon/evening if anybody wants to lend a hand...
I'll probably be up there tomarrow around 1:00 ? hopefully? I want to hit the jump we built today! I am really excited about the posiblities of this trail! hopefully it works out! I probably won't bring tools tomarrow, I had a long week at work :nuts: :nopity: , and I am looking forward to doing some riding! :) Anyways, with some hard work, I think we can really do something! hope to see you guys out there.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Ryan (Jamis hardtail) hit that jump at least ten more times after you guys took off! He was pinning it and pre-jumping the roll-in and just boosting that hit. He's gonna come out tomorrow also...

Nice work on that jump today! Ryan, Chaz and I went out for a pitcher later and we wished you guys hadn't left already so we could have bought you a round.