Quantcast

Main differences btwn heckler and 5-spot

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
I'm looking at a new trail bike and I was just wondering if anyone has had enough time on both bikes to tell me the differences in ride characteristics. I know they are both killer bikes and I may be getting too picky but i want to get the right one. Thanks guys... and gals.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
krustydude said:
I'm looking at a new trail bike and I was just wondering if anyone has had enough time on both bikes to tell me the differences in ride characteristics. I know they are both killer bikes and I may be getting too picky but i want to get the right one. Thanks guys... and gals.
I had a 03 Bullit for over a year. Is that close enough to a Heckler :p After doing some trail riding on the Bullit and riding at Whistler for two seasons on it....I will NEVER buy a single pivot bike ever again :nope:

I have been on my 05 Spot for about a year with a air shock and I have to say it's amazing. It's my main trail bike (I have a 04 Burner and a 05 Six Pack). It climbs great and you can really riding the crap out of it without fretting about braking it, I was just hitting the local trails on it today and practiced the jumps :) . Oly has had has for about the same amount of time I have (with a coil shock) and he hasn't cracked it once....which is rare for him :sneaky:

Another thing….look at customer service. Turner has some of the best in the industry. I never did deal with SC customer service so I can’t say too much about that.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
heckler has a lower pivot than the bullet making it better but the 5spot would be better still. I had an old style heckler and thought it was great, then I had a bullit, nice bike also but pivot was too high. sc customer service is ok, I never had any problems/ long delays.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
The main difference would be Horst Link Vs Single pivot. They do ride totally different. Ive spend plenty time on the main designs out there (SP, Faux bar, 4bar horst), and i can say from my experience on what i like, the Horst has been the best trail bike ive owned. I got close to the perfect trailbike with my Bighit comp, but the 24" rear wheel, and a heavy frame made me change bikes. I went back to a Faux Bar K2 Lithium, and had that bike for a few months before finally coughing up the cash for the 5-spot.

One other major + in my opinion is the 5-spot uses bushings instead of bearings. Ive ridden this bike hard in the worst of conditions and my bike feels the same as day 1. Ive also only had to do do one teardown to regrease the main pivot.

I think either one would be a great trail bike. I know the SC's get great reviews. I'd have to say though that Turners CS is legendary for any issues you may encounter.

Good luck with your decision.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I really wanted to get a 5-spot. A few months back my 97 heckler frame finally bit the dust and cracked under my abuse. I couldn't afford the cost of the turner frame at the time, so I paid the $500 for the heckler crash replacement from SC. The new frames are way beefier than the old ones. At first I was kind of bummed I couldn't get the turner, but so far I really like the way the heckler rides.

Sorry, I can't give any comparison, but I can say that SC customer service has been great for me. I sent in my old frame/shock and told them which color I wanted (matte black ano) and in roughly a week from the day I shipped out my frame I had a spankin new one on my doorstep with my old shock installed with fresh bushings. The biggest complaint I've heard about SC is the long wait time if you want a color that they don't have in stock. They do their frames in batches by color, so it can be months before they get to the color you want. That's why I chose the black, I knew they had it in stock. Plus it looks sweet with the matching matte black minute 1 fork. :love:

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I hear that the 5-spot has downhillesque, or shall I say, Dangeresque III, geometry. Shallow HA, long wheelbase. According to a review I read in bike, it is very comfortable in fast, hairy terrain. Of course I see this as a tradeoff because it means that it would wander on the uphills.