Quantcast

Maintenence ?s

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
So i got my new bike(Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX)
what type things would you suggest for maintenence at home
to keep everything smooth like what i need to do to the suspension and stuff, accually everything. My first fully(used to be a hardcore hardtailer)
so i want to keep it top notch
Thanks

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Seal it in an Air Tight plastic bubble and never ride it......

actually there are some good books available on the subject, proper maintence is to much typing for me, thats why I have a rigid single speed........

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
keep you chain well lubed, check your tire presure, if you know NOTHING about working on bikes that is a big step. And as mentioned earlyer a book will help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Picking up a book on the subject is a great way to be introduced to the world of bike maintenance. I highly recommend Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance - it's easy to read, fairly entertaining for a tech manual, and will provide you everything from basic steps to more advanced tasks.

Awesome book, not much money - a very worthwhile investment.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
the basics:
  • keep the drivetrain clean - pick up some good lube (whatever your LBS recomends for your area/conditions. You can use fancy cleaning tools from park or pedros, or pick up a couple of cheap/small paint brushes. Rince down the chain, chain rings, cassette, and derailleur pullies on a regular basis (after every ride is mud is an issue, or after every few rides if dust is yoru biggest enemy). Dry everything off, then lube the chain. Wipe off any excess lube.
  • Suspension - if you have air sprung suspension (air fork and/or air shock), keep an eye on the air pressure. Ask your LBS about recommended PSI if you're unsure, and check every couple of weeks. Pick up a decent shock pump if you don't already have one.

That's really it for the basic stuff. As others have said... pick up a book or something to get started from here. Learn how to adjust your brakes and derailleurs and change your cables/housings. Once you get that down, you'll be in pretty good shape.