Quantcast

majin 2009 is finally here! the first one is done!

dhdeskisiado

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
majin 2009 is finally here, 5.5 kilos with shock i think 100% steel with pivots in aluminum.

here is the most sickest steel frame ever.

probably a future model in cromo 4130, estimate weight 4.8 kilos, nothing official.

dhdeskisiado

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
I don't know, that's what it says on the forum where the man behind majin bikes post it.

yeah the price is 480 bucks.

karpi explanation:

the link is to ajust shock progresiveness and travel (starting at 220 mm going down to 160 mm, something like 8.5 - 6 inches of travel) with out having to change shock and the geometry stays the same. third, the geometry on the picture is with a more less long fork, with a boxxer the bb will come down, but the HA will be steeper. I guess one of the best things about these frames is they are costum made, thus the geometry can be hand picked by who ever wants to buy it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2 questions:

1) With the adjustments for the upper link, how does it affect the axle path?

2) Is that the final lower shock mount on the swingarm?

Great looking bike!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wow, neat rig there. And you can't beat that price.

Btw, is it me or does the lower shock bolt seem a little too wide and/or thin? May not be an issue, but it looks odd to me.

(And I presume the top bolt length would be shorter than what is shown :eek: )

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Wow, neat rig there. And you can't beat that price.

Btw, is it me or does the lower shock bolt seem a little too wide and/or thin? May not be an issue, but it looks odd to me.

(And I presume the top bolt length would be shorter than what is shown :eek: )

The lower shock bolt on my demo 9 is a little thin too looking (probably about that same diameter). But it never has broken, and I have never seen any broken. Also, I guess that would depend on the type of metal used and how wide the swingarm/seatstay is...

dhdeskisiado

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
well guys, remember the frame does not have a definitive size or things like that, is custom made, is built under your requirements, and if you want further information contact vitox, that's the guy that can answer any tech question, and you can get it from him too.

Mar 10, 2008
I have always likes the Majin bikes and im currently shopping around for a new Dh/FR rig.
Any feedback on these frames and/or the older ones?
How do they handle, active on the wheels? or a now plow? Any problems

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Ah, sorry my bad, Its been a long day. Anyhow here are some pics of there naked tubing.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
do you have a better picture of the rear brake mount?
$480 is pretty damn cheap...might have to pick one up as a beater bike

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
very cool looking frame but why even bother with mild steel?
I know im gonna get flamed for this but oh well:bonk:

Actually for this app, DOM would work fine, just wont be super light.
here's some numbers:

Material:__________Yield Strength(psi):_________ultimate tensile strength(psi):

4130 chromoly_________63,100______________________97,200
A513 DOM_____________72,000_____________________87,000

DOM is actually approx 7% lighter than chromo..... by volume. The benfit of chromo is the ability to go to really thin wall tubes and still have strength. chromo also takes to heat treating better(atleast thats what i was taught)
Another little thing to ponder: DOM has a better chance of flexing where hardened chromo will just snap.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
very cool looking frame but why even bother with mild steel?
Because in Chile, labor is cheap but material is expensive. Did you notice the price for this frame? You couldn't buy a chromoly tubeset and plates, cut and mitered to size, for that in the US.

DOM is strong (used for racecar chassis, rockcrawler tube frames and and armor, etc.), it just won't be as light as chromo. For South American racers, not making a US or EU income, it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

And from the previous thread, he'll build a 4130 version for an upcharge.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
how much extra u think that would be? $480 is stupid cheap...even adding a couple hundred more for 4130 is still cheap
It was in another thread for the single pivot model, I'll see if I can dig it up.

By the way, looks like I was wrong. It IS 304 stainless: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212137&highlight=majin

A relatively inexpensive stainless but not super cheap... I'm wondering if the tubing is produced in SA making it cheaper than carbon or moly options.

edit: Questions!
- Anyone know if Majin is still doing the single pivot version? Last posted price put that one at about $330 USD... insane.
- Anyone know the specs on the shock hardware?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It was in another thread for the single pivot model, I'll see if I can dig it up.

By the way, looks like I was wrong. It IS 304 stainless: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212137&highlight=majin

A relatively inexpensive stainless but not super cheap... I'm wondering if the tubing is produced in SA making it cheaper than carbon or moly options.

edit: Questions!
- Anyone know if Majin is still doing the single pivot version? Last posted price put that one at about $330 USD... insane.
- Anyone know the specs on the shock hardware?
:cheers:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
perhaps there is a surplus of it in that area due to stainless usage in a large variety of industrial applications. also isn't 4130 kind of a boutique alloy mostly used in motorsports, bikes, things of that nature? not really the tubing joe fabricator in chile would be needing all the time.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
How long ago?
It was probably early last year. I paid upfront for two just to see what they were like. Vitox brought one over to the UK for me. I was hopping to see him at last years worlds but had to work so he got a friend to give the frame to me.

At this point there was great communication. We talked over a few improvements and they worked on a improved version. I chose to rather than get another of the same sent to get the improved frame sent. Pic of the improved frame I never got.

I was hopping to fly over and pick it up. They have a great urban DH that just so happened to be organised by Vitox and the start podium was made by G the frame builder. Vitox kindly offered to my up for the event and offered to show me around.

He then Vitox just vanished. Well my laptop was destroyed so I lost his phone number and skype. Though I still had his email there was never a reply. Though saying that it was always hit or miss with his emails. I bet my frame is probably sat in the workshop just gathering dust lol.

If any one does get hold of him let him know I'm still alive lol. Or if any one has his number could you PM it to me, thanks.

Last edited:

dhdeskisiado

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
hi, I been reading and alot of you guys have problems with vitox, I have communication with friends of him, and sometimes with majin itself, I would do everything I can to help you guys to get your frames, I was also thinking on be some kind of majin dealer here on US, and have a little stock, well I have to see and talk with majin about that, for now, I would try to do something about you guys ;)

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
4130 is stock Cro-mo
it's one kind, that's true. not the only kind.

something definitely not right about $480 for a fully custom FS frame. setting up a fixture to hold those tubes would be complex and expensive in tooling parts. the tubes would be expensive. the plate steel for gussets and pivot plates would not be expensive but the cutting would. how is this person doing all that for $480?

something somewhere has to give. a simple double-triangle frame custom-cut and welded or brazed to order can't be found for $480. there's a reason for that. you just can't pay yourself enough money (i.e. your hourly self-paid wage is around $3.00) at that low price to make the effort worthwhile. the only way to reduce costs is to send the welding and other fab to Taiwan and use a big bike welding factory like On-One, Vassago, Zion, and countless others do to implement their designs at a volume rate.

how's this person doing it at $480 a pop? Is he just really rich and able to give away his labor?