Quantcast

MAJOR accident right where I was an hour before...

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=3656710

short version: apparently a dump truck was coming down a hill and lost control and slammed into a bus 12 or so cars. Multiple fatalities are reported - I drive that way to work everyday and could have been in the middle of it.

This is a steep hill (called Avon "mountain") and its the type of road that gets closed a lot in the winter but today is a beautiful clear, dry day.

...and yet another reason why I refuse to ride my bike on Rte 44.

I'm so freaked out!

btw, MMcG goes to work this way too!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I spend a lot of time at that intersection - scary stuff. Makes you realize you have to cherish every day to the fullest.

I have heard reports of at least two fatalities. :(

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
The accident happened at 7:38 this morning, which is normally about the time I'm stopped at that light at the bottom of the mountain :eek: . I was about 15 minutes late this morning, having stuck around to help my dad cover the pool - glad I did or I might not be here right now...

News is reporting 5 fatalities :( and dozens injured.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
I drove by the 44/10 intersection 3 times trying to find a way to work. I could smell smoke and burning rubber for miles, saw the dump truck turned on its side, and debris scattered everywhere across the entire roadway.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I never went over 44. I used to ride up to rte 185 and climb up Talcott Mountain. I have done it at the same time as the Avon Mtn crash (in the rain), and no problems...

I was scared of 44, and some woman on the cell phone in her Suburban...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
dh girlie said:
Oh my god...that is horrific. Says that the road will be closed for at least 12 hours.
the bit about the surgeon calmly treating the victims is the only good thing about that article :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

Holy Crap those pictures are scary. I can't imagine that the bus driver survived but I think he was taken to a hospital. But look at those cars and all that wreckage. :( :(