Quantcast

Make room on the carbon DH frame bandwagon: Devinci Wilson

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
hopefully it is not in the same price region as it's technical twin, the carbon trek....

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
It shows that the industry are in high gear towards the carbon material in the DH world,i think with in 10 years every brand has a carbon DH bike.The Carbon Wilson looks pretty sweet:thumb:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
personally I think the graphics are pretty wicked.
As do I

Who is producing it for them? I could be wrong but i thought they didn't have carbon manufacturing capabilities at their factory? Having a Still fully in house made Canadian frame was one of the cooler parts of devinci...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Hooray for moar plastic frames, and I too love the '80s catamaran sail graphics. Pretty wild that they started with a carbon swingarm, then introduced the carbon front triangle later, which is the opposite others have done it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
hopefully it is not in the same price region as it's technical twin, the carbon trek....
Doubt that. Devinci's are priced well. Even the Specialized Demo 1 is about $4000 cheaper than the trek.
I got to thinking about the price of carbon bikes this week given my conundrum regarding my trail bike. I was really surprised that the Specialized carbon frames are almost twice the price of Ibises (Ibisii? Ibii?). I think someone somewhere is leading someone else down the garden path.

It would be nice if DeVinci could follow Ibis' lead on this one and produce a great product at a relatively affordable price.

All that said, I almost got wood when I saw that picture. Beautiful! I even like the graphics.

Who is producing it for them? I could be wrong but i thought they didn't have carbon manufacturing capabilities at their factory? Having a Still fully in house made Canadian frame was one of the cooler parts of devinci...
It's not like they'll stop producing the aluminium frames... I imagine there'll still be canadian-made frames availabe for sale...

Last edited:

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I just bought a Wilson a couple months ago, lifetime warrenty. Hopefully I can brake it and get a carbon in a couple years. Anyone know what the deal is with Canadian companies and making there bikes in Canada and how they are getting around this with carbon?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
guess: in 10 years only a few companies will STILL have carbon DH bikes. there will be something newer, cooler and better...
What? Material technology trickles to dh from other sports. What new material is used in sports that is an improvement over carbon? Horses? CNT and that other fancy shmancy super thin carbon thing are still many years away from being affordable and doable let alone tested and proven.

I really like the Devinci. I agree with Pslide - first carbon bike that gets me excited.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
CNT has already been used in handlebars. titanium woven carbon(carbotanium?) and honeycomb carbon and the next things to trickle down from the aerospace and automotive sector.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
CNT has already been used in handlebars. titanium woven carbon(carbotanium?) and honeycomb carbon and the next things to trickle down from the aerospace and automotive sector.
CNT resin not pure cnt handlebars. That's a huge differance. Honeycomb carbon was supposedly used in snowboards (it might have been the name) and it wasn't nothing special. Ti + Carbon is a nice technology but Ti will probably not drop in price. It's hard to work with and I doubt it will change.

Though outside of CNT we still speak about regular carbon + something. If we talk about stuff like that Carbon + Vectran is a nice idea to go light and strong but it's more expensive than Kevlar.

Not to mention even if any of those trickle down given the time cycles new tech comes to bikes we would see the first models at best in 10 years

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
If only all this carbon investment was put into getting rid of derailleurs. Oh Pinion, YUNOSELLMOAR!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
This past weekend I got to play with a Wilson for the first time and was impressed except that the frame must have been a tank. It was the heaviest DH bike I've felt in years (42lbs maybe?) yet it had a pretty light build. Rims were the only heavish part and lots of light parts. It seemed like someone had poured lead shot down the seattube.
Also the fender sat even closer to the tire than my V10's and the owner said stuff gets jammed in there.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
^ now if zerode builds a carbon iteration and drops a couple lbs... i assume it's on the horizon; though i'd rather see a carbon trailbike first.