Quantcast

Make Shimano Great Again!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Not a fan of any aluminum cassette cogs (even if they come with free refills), but willing to bet this one will shift better than the competition.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Not a fan of any aluminum cassette cogs (even if they come with free refills), but willing to bet this one will shift better than the competition.
Yeah, the main issue with shimano wide range cassettes is the gear spacing/teeth count. At least in XT and SLX their lower gear spacing simply sucks. And judging from the pictures this cassette won't improve in that area.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, the main issue with shimano wide range cassettes is the gear spacing/teeth count. At least in XT and SLX their lower gear spacing simply sucks. And judging from the pictures this cassette won't improve in that area.
The jump up to the 46 on the 11-46 11 speed cassettes does suck. The 11-40 and 11-42 are good, and in fact have more consistent jumps than Sram 10-42.

The new 10-51 Shimano cassette has more consistent jumps between gears than Eagle does.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
In theory I agree with you but then I have been running aluminium front chainring long enough to know that it works for me. Steel is easier to spell tho... ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In theory I agree with you but then I have been running aluminium front chainring long enough to know that it works for me. Steel is easier to spell tho... ;)
Works fine for pie-plate cassette sizes, the only issue is making it stiff enough. We've ran aluminum front rings for years and it USED to be that those were larger than the tiny rear cogs. Now it's the opposite, the rear cogs are bigger than the front. Only issue is if it's stiff enough.

Thank god we've found a way to get some more unsprung weight back there...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This is the russian communist way to spell it....
...the 'murican freedom spelling is ALUMINUM!!! :D
*sigh* this again?

Aluminium:
"
The metal was named by the English chemist Sir Humphry Davy. He derived the name from the mineral called alumina, which itself had only been named in English by the chemist Joseph Black in 1790.
Sir Humphry made a bit of a mess of naming this new element, at first spelling it alumium (this was in 1807) then changing it to aluminum, and finally settling on aluminium in 1812. His classically educated scientific colleagues preferred aluminium right from the start, because it had more of a classical ring, and chimed harmoniously with many other elements whose names ended in –ium, like potassium, sodium, and magnesium, all of which had been named by Davy."

Pick a spelling and be a dick about it!

But at least know the history of your entire nation's mistake.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
*sigh* this again?

Aluminium:
"
The metal was named by the English chemist Sir Humphry Davy. He derived the name from the mineral called alumina, which itself had only been named in English by the chemist Joseph Black in 1790.
Sir Humphry made a bit of a mess of naming this new element, at first spelling it alumium (this was in 1807) then changing it to aluminum, and finally settling on aluminium in 1812. His classically educated scientific colleagues preferred aluminium right from the start, because it had more of a classical ring, and chimed harmoniously with many other elements whose names ended in –ium, like potassium, sodium, and magnesium, all of which had been named by Davy."

can't we just use aluminimum in this forum since almost nothing on a high end bike sold these days actually uses the material?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
can't we just use aluminimum in this forum since almost nothing on a high end bike sold these days actually uses the material?
I thought that was how you Welsh spelled it anyway

*sigh* this again?

Aluminium:
"

Fukn Britz kan't spiel nodding.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
They nailed it with this new XTR
  • no more pinchbolt cranks
  • new chainring standard
  • new freehub standard
  • less bite on brakes
  • creative gear spacing
  • which i-spec standard is this?
  • choice of junk shimano or overpriced DT hub
  • upgraded freeza rotors, now in centerlock so everyone can use them

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
They nailed it with this new XTR
  • no more pinchbolt cranks
  • new chainring standard
  • new freehub standard
  • less bite on brakes
  • creative gear spacing
  • which i-spec standard is this?
  • choice of junk shimano or overpriced DT hub
  • upgraded freeza rotors, now in centerlock so everyone can use them

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
The lizards have completed their Mind meld with this reviewer...
Micro spline is completely unnecessary bullshit.

Can't fit 12 speed? Bullshit

Can't fit 10 T little cog? Bullshit (why not go 9??)

sram makes wasteful cassettes so we can't use XG? Bullshit

We're shimano, we do what we want and we want to sell more wheels. Bingo

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Micro spline is completely unnecessary bullshit.

Can't fit 12 speed? Bullshit

Can't fit 10 T little cog? Bullshit (why not go 9??)

sram makes wasteful cassettes so we can't use XG? Bullshit

We're shimano, we do what we want and we want to sell more wheels. Bingo
One could also make those points about the XD driver yeah?