Quantcast

Make your own Gu type goop

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
Hey everyone,

Over here in Australia, 'Gu' and 'Powergel' is 3 bucks a shot, so I just did a search to find if there were some people out there in Webland who were also not impressed by the price of stuff to eat when you go for a ride, and had delved into trying to make some of their own.

Well, I found two websites! Here they are -->>

http://www.mtnphil.com/GU.html

http://www.mtbsa.co.za/Health/powergel.htm

This could be an old topic for all I know, but has anyone else tried DIY sports food or found some other web resourses? I'd be keen to know what you've learnt because at this rate, I'll be developing a 50 buck a week sports food habit. Ridiculous, aint it?

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
For any serious physical outing I'll mix up a batch of homemade energy drink.

3 parts OJ
2 Parts water
1 tablespoon of salt

It doesn't taste very good, I'll grant ya that, but it costs next to nothing. Great for all day epics, keep a waterbottle filled with this in addition to a camelback.

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
Volvo-Cannondale 'outfit'? I hope you're talking about that ugly car you were yappin' about last month. Actually, I think I'd be less offended by a Vulva/Cracknfail lycra bodysuit. In pink.

Volvo : It's just not a Subaru.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Gu only costs about $1.00 over here - I only use it for racing so making my own is not that appealing.
but making special sauce is LMAO sorry had to...... :( :D :devil:

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I'd like to make my own energy bars. Haven't found a source for brown rice syrup though. I've tried half a dozen recipes and nothing compares to clif bars for me in terms of digestability.

I have a friend that swears by his gel recipe of 100% maple syrup, honey and salt. Sometimes he brews triple strength espresso and adds it to the mix. I can't even force myself to drink it. :dead: