Quantcast

Making a CD mix.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm making a CD mix as a... um.. back up of my music.
The mix is going to have variety of music on it ranging from early 50's to present of all different genre's.

I'm trying to figure out how to assemble the songs, any ideas or guidelines to go by.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Nero. (Name of one program)

Just drag them into the selection area. Most programs are self explanatory. You should have no problems. If they're MP3's they should automatically format to CDA which is standard audio CD files.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Virtually any CD burning program will have an option to create a "music CD". That will automatically format the songs for you - just drag and drop, and burn.

Nero is a great program, highly recommended, but anything you have is fine.

Be warned that your.. uh.. backup, if in MP3 format, won't sound as good as a normal CD. Depending on how it was encoded (92kbps, 128kbps, 192kbps, etc.) you may not be able to tell the difference, but some MP3s are ripped and encoded poorly and the glitches show up in any kind of decent stereo.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh...the term 'backup' is misleading...do you want to archive the stuff to another location, or make an audio disc of a homemade selection of various songs?

there are a ton of cd burning programs out there, including free ones. as SK6 mentioned, Nero is a great one but not free. that said i think it worth it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sorry I don't think I explained myself properly.

I want the music on my mix to flow well so it doesn't sound disjointed. I'm just burning the CD using Itunes which is pleanty easy to drag and drop.

I'm just really stuck on how to arrange the music.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
stosh said:

I want the music on my mix to flow well so it doesn't sound disjointed. I'm just burning the CD using Itunes which is pleanty easy to drag and drop.

Dude, thats like arranging your underwear drawer, we each do it differently...

Seriously, just try different combinations. What you'll find however is that when you put a "best of" CD together, your of a certain mindset; However, when listening, your mindset may be completely different. So just try a couple of different arrangements.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey, I have a silly music software question.
Is there any software out there where you can blank out certain words?
This instructor at the gym is always asking me to bring her some music to use for her classes, but everytime I find a song with the right beat, they gotta yell, motha*(^%$ at the end or something.
Just curious.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stosh said:

You need to watch High Fidelity...

then you will understand:thumb:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Jeremy R said:
Hey, I have a silly music software question.
Is there any software out there where you can blank out certain words?
This instructor at the gym is always asking me to bring her some music to use for her classes, but everytime I find a song with the right beat, they gotta yell, motha*(^%$ at the end or something.
Just curious.
First, you need to find the non-southern draw version of the song, then you............

:weee:

:p

:D :rofl:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh, what you ask us is impossible, as SK6 rightly pointed out. we don't know the songs, or your intended audience.

personally, i don't spend all that much time worrying about sequence and flow...i just try to make sure that i don't alternate fast/slow tempo songs back to back all the time, or get stuck in one pace for too many songs either.