Quantcast

making a website for a racer...

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
I'm doing a website for a friend that races BMX 20" and 24" and I'm structuring the site right now...

What kind of info do you think is essential on a website like that? I mean specific to the racer.

What should I pay special attention to?

Can you link me to other websites that you feel that are good examples of what to do?

Thanks in advance guys ;)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What kind of info do you think is essential on a website like that? I mean specific to the racer.
Bio/History/Profile of the rider/racer, giving current sponsors exposure (gotta keep them happy!), current results of the racer, a schedule of events they plan on attending in the upcoming year or so, a photo gallery is always nice, and I really like seeing a current news/journal type of section - seems like a good way of keeping the world (and your sponors) up to date with what's going on. In addition to Jill Kintner's site, I also think that http://www.brianlopes.com/ is a good example of what a racer website can be, and it includes all the stuff above that I mentioned.

What should I pay special attention to?
The same stuff that you would pay special attention to with any website: ease of use, clean and attractive design, good navigation throughout the site, including the right amount of content - as much as is necessary but not putting in stuff just for filling up space.

I do not think that http://www.teamspeedh.com/ is a very good example of a website, racer or otherwise. The navigation is unintuitive, the content is not current, the links page is full of stuff that isn't pertinent to the team or the team's sponsors, they're actual sponsors aren't given much exposure, the forums are sitting unused and aren't based on the same layout/design as the rest of the site. It's a fine start, but could be much much better with a few simple tweaks. Just my (not so) humble opinion though. :brows: