Quantcast

Making the switch, advice please

Chris C

Chimp
Jul 30, 2006
Sturbridge, MA
Hey Monkeys,

I'm new to this site, but have been mountain biking for over 10 years. Recently, due to an injury that will keep me out of the woods for a while, I have ordered a nice road bike at the LBS. I have never been on a road bike for more than a mile or so. I am a big guy, around 200 lbs, 5'10" and am really psyched to get out there and spin on skinny tires.

Why am I telling you all this useless info?

I need any pointers you guys have! I have read endless articles about not getting hit by cars and the like. What I am looking for is the little things... The best way to change a flat, or a rule to always remember. What the hell do you do if you have no choice but to navigate a speed bump or curb!?!?

So...let's have it...my bike may be here as soon as Wednesday, or as late as Friday! For those who want to know, my budget was $1500 MAX, and I picked a Pilot 2.1 which didn't max out my budget, fits me like a glove and has pretty soild components.

Sorry for the long wind,

Chris C.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
you're a mtb'er, so really, all those skills will translate... riding speed bumps, changing flats, etc.

What you don't know is about cars... none on singletrack and what you know as a driver doesn't help much. Want to expedite your road bicycling skills? Take a motorcycle safe class. But you live in NC, so you probably already ride a motor :) (I lived in Chapel Hill in 90-91, worked in RTP. Loved the area!)

I'll start with one piece of advice that I feel is the most important... Take The Lane, when appropriate:
-- narrow shoulder
-- going downhill on a steep descent
-- going straight on a road with a right turn lane (stay in the straight lane even if you're impeding people trying to turn right)
-- making a left turn in the left turn lane.

More people will accidentally run you off the road* than those who'll do it on purpose**.

* when you give them the chance by riding close too the edge of the road, they'll try to squeeze by.
** getting annoyed by you taking the lane.

Have fun! Don't get too addicted :D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
#1. Never trust the 4 wheel menace.
#2. See above.
# 3. Ask the shop where you bought your bike if they have a weekly ride and if there's a beginner group.
#4. If no to #3 they will probably know of a group for you ask. If no again find a shop that does. Most shops in most cities have at least 1 ride a week out of their place.
#5. I’m not going to lecture you on safety because I don’t know anything about you but be sure to spend some of that leftover cash on a helmet if you haven’t already done so. (#3 most all shops will not let you ride with them without one.)
#a. have fun!!!

Chris C

Chimp
Jul 30, 2006
Sturbridge, MA
Toninator,

As far as safety, my MTB crash that has taken me out of the woods actually resulted in a split helmet, right at my temple! Believe me, getting a new Brain Bucket is already in the budget! I also have a rear flasher light and (for evening cruises through housing developments) a nice NightPro headlight system.

Thanks for the advise so far...keep it coming. I'm glad to hear a lot of my skills will transfer!

Chris C.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Behave either like a bike or a car, and not a car-cycle. By this I mean, if you're on the road, follow the same set of rules cars do and don't blow stop signs (I use a very slow rolling stop or track stand) or lights (yeah, even if there are no cars around). And if you're on the side walk (my city allows bikes on sidewalks, but yours may not...), don't blow lights as if jay walking. As far as I know, there aren't two sets of traffic laws, one pertaining to cars and another to bicycles/non-motorized vehicles. Since most drivers are going to default to the rule of traffic when behind the wheel of their car, you behaving like them will give them more of a predictable expectation of what you will do in situations (but of course there are plenty of ppl who have no business being behind the wheel w/ the way they drive...but that's another lonnnng arguement.)
If ppl are menacing you on your bike w/ their cars, (in CO at least) *csp on the cell will get you Colorado State Patrol dispatch. You may want to look into what the number is in your city/town.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
1: If you want to get a millisecond premonition on what a car is going to do in traffic, watch the front tires. Where the tires go, so goes the rest of the machine.

2: When riding along a series of parked cars, watch the sideview mirrors. There is almost always a brief flash of movement in the sideview when someone goes to open the door, that flash tells you to brake hard or break around the radius of the opening door (depending on what your head check has told you).

3: Head check, head check, head check. I always told every messenger I trained, "As a professional, it behooves YOU to stay out of trouble. The key tool in this is the head check." Always think of your head as on a swivel in traffic, moving scanning for trouble. Whenever you go to swing around an opening door, go wide around a beer can in the street, or switch lanes head check over the relevent shoulder. This is the key: when your head comes back forward, replay what you just saw and if you can't remember every detail like a polaroid, look again. I have been known to have had to look again four times to satisfy this rule, and seen the car (gray, on a gray rainy day) rolling up on me on the last repeat.

4: Always assume that everyone around you will take the stupidest, most irresponsible option available to them. This is not paranoia, but realism, and has literally saved my life more times than I can remember.

Hope this helps!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just don't be an ass. Ride smart, make sure you're aware of the cars around you. Whenever possible, make your intentions clear so they know what you are going to do. It's not rocket science, so don't get all worked up about it.

From my experience, if you are riding in the shoulder, regardless of how wide it is, cars are less likely to give you room. If you're riding in the lane, they will give you as much room as possible. For me, I find it better/safer to ride in the lane unless the shoulder is wide enough that I can get away from traffic.

If possible, take your first few rides on quieter streets - save the major roads/high traffic/high conjestion roads for later.