Quantcast

Malaria vaccines

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It’s actually the tonic that’s got the quinine in, and gives it that awful aftertaste when drunk standalone (also why it is called ‘tonic’…) but yeah, that is basically where G+T started from. The G masks the quinine and somehow the combo is quite good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
...........yet

We brought back measles for fucks sake

NEVER discount american exceptionalism
Yeah Malaria was endemic in the south until the 1930s. One of the reasons African slavery took off in the South but not in the North. It was for any moral reasons, indentured servants were more profitable than slaves but the life expectancy in the south for a European laborer was grim compared to Africans who have a certain natural resistance to malaria.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So you're saying sickle cell represents a certain.......how would one put it.......genetic superiority?

:rofl:
Heh, I was thinking of saying the same thing. As Africans are also the source population for all modern humans, have the largest genetic diversity and are the only population to not interbreed with Neanderthals, Denisovians or other older human species the argument of "purity" is also easy. Everyone else is in comparison is an inbred hybrid.

Also sickle cell is the result of only one of three genetic adaptations that separately evolved as a means of resisting malaria.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Last time I gave blood one of the places of travel that got you refused was Northern Mexico. As climate change warms things up it seems logical to conclude it will make its way into the American South.
Yes, absolutely that seems to be a thing. I previously hadn’t associated the middle Americas with Malaria though - Brazil maybe…

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
worked out well in the amazon with rubber trees

I'm sure turning yet another massive resource extraction effort in SA on full blast for the benefit of rich white people continents away will work out well. Always has in the past!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
It’s actually the tonic that’s got the quinine in, and gives it that awful aftertaste when drunk standalone (also why it is called ‘tonic’…) but yeah, that is basically where G+T started from. The G masks the quinine and somehow the combo is quite good.

Ahh I quite like tonic water with a slice of lemon.... It's my go to non alc drink on hot days.