Quantcast

Malware issue...........

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
What's the best way to remove "malware" from my PC?

I've tried Adaware, Spybot and Microsoft Spyware remover Beta and none of them have been able to remove it.

Any suggestions?

Also, how's Zonealarm these days, I tried it several years ago and had some problems with it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Technically, "malware" is classified as something that's destructive to your computer, like a virus, not "spyware".

Do you mean you really have "malware" (i.e. a virus) on your computer, or do you have some kind of adware/spyware?

If you have a virus, the only way to get rid of it effectively is with anti-virus software.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
binary visions said:
Technically, "malware" is classified as something that's destructive to your computer, like a virus, not "spyware".

Do you mean you really have "malware" (i.e. a virus) on your computer, or do you have some kind of adware/spyware?

If you have a virus, the only way to get rid of it effectively is with anti-virus software.
Microsoft Beta calls is "malware" - it's called "PSguard" and "acts" like a spyware remover, but screwed up my desktop and cannot be cleaned or uninstalled.

Anyway any guidance would be very appreciated...............thanks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ahh. I've heard of PSGuard but haven't, fortunately, had to clean it myself. I did some Googling and have seen numerous reports of this tool being able to clean it, especially when run while you're in Windows Safe Mode (there's a free trial you can download):

http://www.ewido.net/en/

I also found this fun manual removal process if you're masochistic and your idea of a good time is picking through your registry, deleting keys one by one. Whee! Life is good! If you enjoy this activity, please look into such other fun past times, such as stabbing yourself in the eyes with a toothpick, placing your hand on a hot stove, or rolling around in patches of Poison Oak.

http://labs.paretologic.com/spyware.aspx?remove=PSGuard

Good luck, and let me know if either of those work for you so I know to recommend them in the future.