Quantcast

Mammoth 411

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm trying to make some tentative plans to ride Mammoth, for the first time, next season. After seeing some pictures and video of the place, I must ride it.

I tried searching for this info, but came up empty. Maybe one of you guys could help me out...

1. When does Mammoth typically open for the Dh season?

2. Is Mammoth open on the weekdays, as well as weekends?

3. Are all the DH race courses open to the public on the non-race days?

4. Typical summer weather temps/conds?

tia

gobike

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
As one who has spent a bunch of time in Mammoth with the dream of retiring and spending summers in Mammoth and the rest of the year in Santa Cruz...

1. When does Mammoth typically open for the Dh season?

W/ an average snow season, Mammoth Mountain is usually open the weekend before the 4th.

2. Is Mammoth open on the weekdays, as well as weekends?

Yes, once open, it is open 7 days a week w/ last lift being 45 minutes before sunset I believe? Tues-Thurs are the best days to ride for obvious reasons...

3. Are all the DH race courses open to the public on the non-race days?

THere are no DH race courses open. Only the DH trails

4. Typical summer weather temps/conds?

Because the summit of Mammoth is roughly 3,000 feet above the lodge, the temperature is quite different up top (and always colder). In the morning expect atleast 10-15 degrees cooler w/ a cold ass wind blowing in. Once the sun is overhead, it's nice and warm all over, although that doesn't mean leave the windbreaker in the car... Obviously, Mid July to Labor Day weekend, you'll get the best weather. September can start to cool off again. Remember, the earlier in the season you ride, the top of the mountain and some of the trails may still be covered w/ snow.

tia[/QUOTE]